Grips for a model S&W 65

MP-5

Picked up a lightly used model 65 Smith, 3 inch round butt. With the stock grips the weapon jumps quite a bit. Any sugestions? Pacmyer makes some variations but I don't know what would be best on a compact revolver like the 65.

BikerRN

If you want wood, Google "Badger Grips" and "Eagle Grips".

I have a set of "Secret Service Grips" from Eagle on my EDC Revolver and they work beautifully.

Biker

gak

I'd say Pach's on a smaller round butt grip frame. I have a set on my 65 Lady Smith (the 3" satin stainless with the full underlug/shroud) and these seem to fit the scale of the gun better than the otherwise very good Hogues - at least the finger grip ones I'm familiar with. Good choice by the way - can't go wrong with a 3" 65 - and they're getting harder to come by every day.

Sundance

I typically like wood grips better than rubber, but the Hogue Rubber Bantam Boot Grips are hard to beat for snubs. I have a set on my 2 1/2" 66 .357 Magnum and on my 3" 696 .44 Special. On the K and L frames they give a full 3 finger hold. On the J frames (I have them on my 649 and 638 as well) the only allow a 2 finger hold with the pinky tucked under. I have them on my new 4" Ruger Redhawk .44 as well, so they really handle the recoil well. I only wish they made them for the N frame S&Ws so I could put them on my Mountain Guns.

pogo2

K frame round butt grips

I also have a K frame round butt gun like your model 65 - mine is the model 66 with 2.5 inch barrel. I have Badger finger groove walnut dymondwood grips on the gun which work very well and look good:

SW6616.jpg

And if I carry the gun I put on smaller Hogue Bantam grips which conceal better:

SW66Holster03.jpg

glockopop

Believe it or not, I have these grips on my 3" M64 and I love 'em.

http://cdnnsports.com/

They're nice and compact, but you can still get your pinky finger around the bottom. They're real comfortable to shoot and carry. I just got them to use while I found some Uncle Mike's grips, but now that I've got them I like the first ones better. And you sure can't beat the price!

TWB

My problem with the round butt 65 was the curve at the top of the grip. When you have recoil coming back at the top of your hand, and the fattest portion of the grip is low in your hand, there is a tendency for the gun to slide down into your hand and the bbl to flip up in the skinnier direction where you have less grip. If you've ever caught an armadillo and held it by the tail, you saw the same principle, which is a survival mechanism for the critter. The tail tapers, and when you hold the animal by it, it will thrash around and the tail slips in the direction of your weakest grip....the skinny portion of the tail. The critter slips out and runs.

What I did was use Pachmayr Decelerator grips, and at the upper rear portion, I placed a layer of epoxy, (I use Powr Poxy or J B Weld) thick at the top of the backstrap cover, and as I moved down the backstrap, made the layer thinner. This produces a wedge that fills in the skinnier upper portion of the grip and makes the backstrap vertical instead of curved. This makes the recoil more horizontal against the web of your hand, instead of squeezing downward in recoil. It also makes the bbl point more naturally and parallel to your index finger point, and you don't have to rotate your wrist downward to get the sights to align.

This does increase the length of pull on your trigger finger, so if your reach is already at its limit, this may not be practical. It is also not cosmetically attractive, but it works beautifully, and looks better if you paint it black to match the grip. You can take a file to the epoxy to get the shape and rounded sides and edges you may prefer. If you mess it up, fill it in and start over. Just be sure to make the area for the web of your hand wide enough to be comfortable in recoil. You can always adjust it with a file and sandpaper. I hope this is written clearly enough to understand.

twb

Marko Kloos

I've tried just about every K-frame grip in existence...stock with a Tyler, Hogue in wood and rubber, Badger/Excalibur, Uncle Mike's Combat and boot grips, you name it.

The best grips I've found for my K-frames is the Pachmayr Compac Pro. It gives me just the right amount of "grip" on the weapon, the rubber doesn't bind on clothing like the Hogues, and it's very concealable--the Pachys are even thinner than the S&W stocks, and they fill in the area behind the trigger guard just right.

For me, those are the optimal combination of control, comfort, and concealability.

m13a_6x4.jpg

m13b_6x4.jpg

m10hbleft_l.jpg

m10hbright_l.jpg

APS

I recommend the ones that Marko shows for the same reason. Rubber, but not sticky like the Hogues. If you want something a little bigger that you can get more of your Left hand on the butt with, try the Packmayer Grippers. That's what I have on my 65LS and will be using it for IDPA when the rest of my gear arrives.

Adam

Driveout02

Ok, now that that's been covered, what about a 65 with a square butt? I just put one on layaway, and it comes with wood grips, but they're plain and ugly.

Deaf Smith

Secret Service RB grips are a dandy. I have them on my 2.5 inch M66 and 2 inch 64. Outstanding concealment grips. Expensive? Yes. Good? Heck yes.

Retired

Grips for S&W 65

I tried several different grips, and the ones I like best are Pachmayr Gripper Professional. They don't cover the backstrap, and they fit my hand better for a double-action pull.

Ballenxj

MP-5 said:
Picked up a lightly used model 65 Smith, 3 inch round butt. With the stock grips the weapon jumps quite a bit.
Hi MP-5, First, Allow me to congratulate you on picking up one of the finest (IMO) little 3" heavy barrel 357's out there. I've had mine for quite a few years now, and still enjoy shooting it a lot. In fact, more than my SP101, and almost as much as my 4" Mod 19 that I wish I had never sold. (I learned my lesson, and will "never" sell my Mod 65)
I have a set of Pachmyer round butt grips that seem to have made the difference for me. Also, I really like the Winchester 110 grn 357's that come in the White box. This combination works well for me. ;) Enjoy yours.
-Bruce