Great Police Response Video

booker_t

Good idea having the officer handle the gun the entire time. The last thing you want is to be seen holding a gun while being stopped by police. That could get you shot in a blink of an eye.

Today's Quiz... how many passing cars did Officer Ryans muzzle sweep while performing the safety check?

madmo44mag

This is an LEO that has his head screwed on straight.

Today's Quiz... how many passing cars did Officer Ryans muzzle sweep while performing the safety check?

Bullets always have the right of way - ROFLMBO!!!!:D

jonnyc

1. Sounds like a Good 'Ole Boston boy...Yeah Sox!
2. Very well done.
3. He did obviously know he was being filmed.

9-ball

Just wanted to post this too. It's great to see some better responses from LE after the CCW fail posted before. The carrier was a bit provocative though, not wanting to say his name etc.

hermannr

I don't watch videos because I am on dialup and it takes way too long, but from the previous comments I understand??? that there was a stop (was it for cause, and did that cause include possible criminal intent with the firearm) and the officer disarmed the person that was carrying? Do I have that correct?

If there was reasonable cause for suspician the firearm had been used, or was being used, in a crime, Ok, even a self defence situation, ok, but...

If this was just a normal traffic stop that did not involve the use of that firearm, there is no legal, or reasonable, reason that the firearm should be removed for the holster, by the owner or the officer.

It is no more reasonable to remove the firearm then the officer to have you remove you shorts to see if you changed them this morning, and a lot more dangerous.

If an Officer can shoot himself in the leg (Washington DC 1999) removing his Glock from his holster, what is the polite officer and his command going do if he accidently shoots a legal carrier while removing a weapon from that legal carrier's holster for no legitimate reason?????

I am happy to hear the officer was at least polite about it.

mete

In NY if you are carrying you MUST have your permit ! You do not have to notify the officer if you are stopped
The individual in the video was not smart by not carrying an ID.

I would be VERY nervous if the officer insisted on handling my pistol , especially as it's a P7 which doesn't operate like typical pistols .He has NO business or need to do so and it creates a possible danger !!

Don H

mete said:
I would be VERY nervous if the officer insisted on handling my pistol , especially as it's a P7 which doesn't operate like typical pistols .He has NO business or need to do so and it creates a possible danger !!
I believe California law allows LEOs to verify that an open-carried handgun is in fact unloaded.

mete said:
In NY if you are carrying you MUST have your permit ! You do not have to notify the officer if you are stopped
The individual in the video was not smart by not carrying an ID.
But the incident took place in California, not New York. California law allows open carry of an UNLOADED sidearm, and the law provides that an officer can stop anyone so carrying to verify that the weapon is not loaded.

Why was the individual "not smart" by not carrying ID? ID was not required. If he had ID, there might be a disagreement with an officer over whether or not he had to show his ID. No ID = no disagreement.

Mr. James

Doug Wyllie said:
My friend and PoliceOne colleague Ron Avery wrote on this subject only a couple of months ago. In that column, Avery wrote, “A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter...”

As a frequent open carrier in a gun-unfriendly Northern Virginia, I appreciate this comment. The Fairfax County Police had some rough moments, but they have gotten the memo, and we always get along just fine. Nevertheless, in Arlington, I am ready for a less-than-friendly contact with law enforcement. No, I won't videotape it for YouTube. I'll behave like a civil adult and deal with it.

hermannr

I agree with Mr. Avery in some places, where open carry is not common, and/or has not be accepted as normal for very long, there probably will be fear and distrust...and yes, how you handle yourself will make miles of difference.

I OC, and have for over 40 years. It has been legal in WA since we became a state, and our present CPL law (actually a step backwards) went into force in 1961. OC, loaded is 100% legal and towns/counties cannot enact their own laws, only as to reguards discharge of weapon, not carry.

I have no, none, 0, fear of an improper LE encounter here. It has been established for so long it is accepted as normal. Yes, if you go into Seattle, you may run into a rogue cop (they do have a couple, and the city has been sued and lost becasue of them) but not out here where I live.

I am actually shocked at the attitudes of both some of the people that OC, and some of LE that I read on these boards. As I was taught many years ago, people that are up to no good hide their weapon..."an honest man does not hide that he is armed".

Pond James Pond

Can any members clarify something for me?

It seems the Cal law states that an open carried weapon must be unloaded. As far as I know a concealed weapon can be loaded.

If that is the case, then open carrying means everyone can see you have a firearm, and any of them in the know will be aware it should be unloaded, and so be aware of your threat status to them (ie pretty low).

If people do choose to carry a gun outside in the street, I assume it is simply for protection against the unlikely event of an attack. The open carry seems to negate almost all the protection a weapon should afford you, other than the visual impact of seeing you with a gun.

So what is the point of open carry in this instance?
Am I missing something as I don't get it
...:confused:

mete

Yes Pond you're missing something --you're looking for reason and logic that no longer exists in the world !:p

jephthai

Pond, it's my understanding that the first rule of gunfights is to have a gun, and that loading drills are very important in this case.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Pond James Pond

mete said:
reason and logic that no longer exists in the world !

Aaah, yes. Something my wife frequently accuses me of....;)

jephthai said:
the first rule of gunfights is to have a gun, and that loading drills are very important in this case.

I understand that, but concealed & loaded carry fits that mantra somewhat better than open & unloaded carry, IMHO.

Open carry:
"You wanna piece o' me?! You just wait till I've loaded this plainly visible but unloaded gun, then you'll be... ow you shot me!"

Concealed carry:
"You wanna piece o' me?! Bang, bang! Didn't see that coming, did you?"

That is the difference between those two carry techniques, as I see it, and it sort of makes open carry seem redundant.

My question is whether there is more to it which I have not taken into account.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Allowing open carry, but requiring that the weapon be unloaded . . . well that's just silly. I think P,JP is close on open, unloaded carry, but here's how I imagine it:

You want a piece of me? *WHACK* That's why I carry an all-steel 1911. That slide hurts, don't it? Now, just wait till I get this thing loaded . . . Oh, wait, that'd be illegal.

If he had ID, there might be a disagreement with an officer over whether or not he had to show his ID.
Methinks that by walking down the highway, videotaping himself, and not carrying ID, the guy carrying was looking for a confrontation. The officer was smart enough not to take the bait.

booker_t

Let me try to clear some things up..

California law allows open carry on an unloaded firearm, and it allows you to carry a loaded magazine. The mag just can't be in the gun. It takes approx 2 seconds to draw, insert the magazine, rack a round. Not the ideal solution, but it's better than having nothing when the chips are down.

The movement in Cali of people open carrying is part protection, but moreso to change the culture. It's to get the general public to see that guns are not evil, that guns in the hands of law abiding responsible citizens do not just go off, and that they are nothing to be afraid of. They are trying to change the law and the perception to change California into a "shall issue" state.

Many Cali police are not entirely familiar with the new open carry laws, and there were many incidents in the last few months with officers who did not know the exact law who became very confrontational with open carry citizens. Then again, some of those carriers also instigated, claiming "their rights!! their rights!!" instead of being polite and cooperative to help build trust and improve that officer's knowledge.

Since those incidents, many Cali departments have been instructing their officers on how to interact with an open carry, what they can and can't do, what they should do, and so forth. So to see an officer do it right is refreshing. It's a sign of progress in the responsible gun ownership/carry movement.

The police are allowed to stop an open carry and inspect the firearm to make sure it isn't stolen, it is legally owned, it is unloaded, and so forth. When doing so, it is recommended that individuals allow the officer to manipulate the firearm the ENTIRE time, from pulling it out to putting it back. The key words here are "polite and cooperative."

If the firearm is unique or requires extra safety precautions, the individual should instruct the officer verbally prior to starting. This protects everybody. But then again, you're only allowed to carry it unloaded... so if it goes off in the officer's hands, you were already breaking the law.

If another cop who wasn't involved or was far away or who just came on the stop saw you drawing a pistol in front of a fellow cop, there's a good chance you'd get shot. Let the officer doing the stop do his thing, keep your hands open and in plain sight, don't make any sudden moves and be respectful. Many of them also carry a copy of the state law.