Great Plains?

Hawg

The Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawkens can be had on sale for $899.

A far better gun in all regards.

That's true but not everybody can or wants to spend that much on a muzzle loader. If I was going to spend that much I'd add some to it and have one made......Actually I did do that but the guy that built it cut me some slack on it.

ocharry

I have no doubt a 90gr load will pass through at 90-100+.

I have had pass through with 60gr at 80yrds.....yes it is a little light for a 54......but if you are in the woods where I hunt 100 yrd shot is rare...and it is a 54

I am not saying dont use fff ......just saying it is hotter and 90-100+ is way over kill for deer...and you should start low and work up....

And its your rifle....go for it

I have used 80gr ff at friendship on the big silhouette range and knocked over the bears at 500 ...so do you need more...maybe.....up to you I guess

I think the most accurate load in your rifle would be more important to me than how much horsepower ....for whitetail anyway......may need the upper end for elk

A pass through is wasted energy....unless you are busting shoulders

Just my .02

Ocharry

Hawg

A pass through is wasted energy...

Not to me. I've never had one walk away or run for that matter but if one ever does I want a good blood trail, plus it's a very accurate load.

smokepole14

I'm sure 60-100 gr is plenty for deer, but I'm just gonna load and shoot till I find what works best. Only shooting will tell and that's fine by me!

Model12Win

A .530" round ball patch, .010" cut pillow ticking patch, bear's grease, and 120-140 grains of Swiss FFG black powder will down anything on this Earth, or the next.

DD4lifeusmc

HAWG
I happen to have a late 1970's CVA Mountain rifle in 50 cal
It has always been a proverbial tack driver.
Hit an 8 in steel gong (hanging) at 100 yd consistently and that is a kill
zone on most all big game.

Mountain muley's here in Wyoming are a bit tougher then the whitetail or black tail. It has never failed to put one down when I did my part.

And you're right about being pricey. they are going for at least double sometimes triple what I paid for it back then. And as long as I am walking, not planning on selling!

Hawg

They are good guns. When I had my Hawken built I wanted a 36" Green Mountain barrel on it but funds were dwindling and he had a NOS Douglas barrel for one of the early mountain rifles and said he could cut the breech off and install the Hawken breech plug for less money and I could always swap barrels later on. It irks me some it's so short but it shoots too good to swap out.:D