Great Plains?

smokepole14

Hey guys! I've been wanting to get a muzzleoading rifle. I like the Great Plains rifle in 54 cal. I'm wanting to get some kind of hawken style or look. Id love to do both hunt deer and shoot for fun. Any ideas of where I could get a good gpr or a good used condition? Or maybe someone has another rifle I should look at. Thanks guys for the help.

Wyosmith

The Lyman GP is probably the best commercial cap-lock rifle available today.
The early flintlocks were not so good because the Italian maker of the guns took the cap-lock and converted it to a flinter by making a pan and frizzen and then making a cock that would reach it, but that is NOT the best way to make a flintlock. The locks were slow and unreliable. The later ones were changed to be better so today I would say they also make a good flintlock, but I would stay away from their flinter made back 20+ years ago.

Their barrel are outstanding. In fact I rate them as good as any made in the USA today. I make muzzleloaders for a living, and I have been making them now for 44 years so I know a bit about this subject.

The down side to the GPR is that they are pretty heavy, but that is not a factor to many men. Also they are "Hawkenish" and they come fairly close to the real Hawken is shape, but not close enough for the purists.

If you what a solid accurate reliable traditionally styled muzzleloader in the 1840-1860 style the Lyman GP is a very good choice
The 50 is heavier then the 54 because the barrels are the same outside diameters, but the larger bore means less steel so less weight.

Happy hunting
PM me if you want more info.

michaelcj

I second Wyosmiths comments.

Also they are available left handed.

I've had mine for several years in 50 cal w/ 1:66 twist for patched round ball. At one time you could purchase "accessory" barrels from Lyman in 1:48 and I believe 1:24 for conicals…. don't know if that is still the case.

Pahoo

Lyman

There are still options/choices available but at this time Lyman-GPR is at the top of the list. The wood is much better than black walnut. I have a DNR buddy that has taken more of his share of large game, with his. Now then, in the Lyman, you have a choice of the hunter and rifle. The difference is the twist. Also, keep in mind that Lyman also make a Trade-rifle. All in keeping with; "In-The-Spirit". ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

l.cutler

Midsouth shooters supply often has among the best process on the great plains rifle. You could always haunt local gun shops and shows looking for a used one, they often show up in my area.

Hawg

The CVA Hawken is a great gun and you can find them for less.

Hard to find in a .54 and don't look anything like a Hawken.The CVA Mountain Rifle is better but those are getting hard to find and not exactly cheap. If was me I'd go with the GPR.

smokepole14

Thanks for the replies! I like the looks of the gpr. I have a cva wolf in 50 cal, but I'm looking for a patched round ball shooter. So that kinda put the trade rifle and hunter out of the question. What does a new gpr rifle ususlly cost?

l.cutler

I checked at Midsouth, $533.34 for .54 caliber. You can check around for a better price. Just a side note though, the Trade rifle is a great roundball shooter but looks nothing like a Hawken.

smokepole14

Yeah that's the thing I was wanting it to look period correct as possible without breaking the bank. I think the gpr is the best one so far. Plus I already have patches and two cans of fffg goex. I'm gonna try to get some ffg and try building a load.

deerslayer303

Another vote for the GPR. They are a TACK DRIVER!! Will put roundballs in the same hole. A very impressive shooter, with a pretty slick lock and trigger. They are LOOOOOONG though, but you can adjust your hunting to fit them. I like the heft, free handed you can hold that baby pretty steady, well until your arms gets tired of holding the shoulder mounted cannon up. ;) Get her in .54 cal and there is no game in North America she won't put on your table. Post up some pics when you get it, happy shoooooshting!

Hawg

They are LOOOOOONG though

A little short for a Hawken with a 32 inch barrel tho. Hawken barrels ran from 33-36 inches. There are shorter ones known but its believed they were cut down at a later date. The one on mine is really short at 31 inches. It was a NOS Douglas barrel for an early CVA mountain rifle that had two inches cut off the breech to use a snail. I said when I got it I'd swap it out with a Green Mountain later on but it just shoots too good.

deerslayer303

Wow, I didn't know that. Even at 32" I found maneuvering it around in a blind is not easy, no big deal though, real easy to adjust to fit it. Great shooters. And honestly right out the gate I didn't have to fuss too much with finding a load. It shoots well with just about any load along the spectrum.

smokepole14

I have 2 full cans of fffg goex an .018 patches. All I need is .530 round balls and I'm set. What's a good load and range to start off at? I don't really know the range this gun will achieve accurately for hunting.

Hawg

My rifle likes 90 grains with a .010 patch but you will have to experiment with powder and patch combos to find what yours likes. I would start at 50 yards to sight in and then move out to 100.

wogpotter

I have a really short (24") "hawken carbine".
I got used to it but I really miss the little set of "training wheels" from the end of a real Hawken's muzzle so it's easier to drag through the woods!:)
When my friend handed me his I darn near dropped it, not just because of the weight, but the incredibly (to me) muzzle heavy balance.:p

ocharry

just my .02

i would not use fff in your rifle,,,,especially 90gr.....think maybe ff in a 54

you might work up from a smaller load,,,,starting down around 40-45 and work up with fff,,,,pressure with fff goes up quick

if you go straight to 80-90-100gr with fff......you might just see some over pressure and maybe damage,,,to you and the rifle

you know i love the 54,,,,,and my hunting load with round ball is 60gr ff goex,,,,it has never let me down,,,,and on a broad side shot i dont recall ever not having a pass through,,,for white tail anyway,,,,,if you are gona use it for elk,,,you may want to take it to the 80-90-100gr range

for me the 60gr is plenty,, and very accurate,,,,i would play with the load and find the SWEET SPOT and that is where i would load

you will be amazed at this cal.

my .02

ocharry

Hawg

60 grains is a short range load for a .54 with a round ball. My 90 grain load is good for pass throughs on deer at 100 yards. 100-120 grains will let you reach out to 150 yards which is very doable with a .54 and a round ball. 3f is not going to hurt anything just give you a little more velocity.

smokepole14

Thanks hawg, I didn't think 3f would be a problem. From what I understand 2f burns slower which is to help larger bullets get moving down the bore better without building as much pressure. A .530 roundball shouldn't be a problem, is that correct?