Grandfather's Pistol: HI-Standard

Kodyo

My grandfather died about 20 years ago in a roofing accident before I was even old enough to know him.
He seemed to be into plinking around and owned a couple of .22s that my dad now owns.
However, I never had access to his .22 pistol until now.
I drove about 10 hours today with my grandma and dad to pick up my new-to-me heirloom: A HI-Standard Dura-matic M-101. The serial number is 496xxx, information I was able to obtain puts this between 1955 and 1961, but looking for a better estimate if anyone has access to this info.

IMG_2884.jpg

I was able to find a guide and took the pistol apart and it seems to be in good enough condition to shoot, so i'll try next weekend to see how it goes.

I am mainly looking for information on this pistol: How to lube properly, what to look out for in terms of malfunctions, random info etc.

Thank You

Kodyo

Thanks for the link!
I was able to find a similar gun serial number on there, so this one is made in 1955 as well.

egor20

Kodyo

Sorry about your Gran Dad

But thank you for posting that gun, It's great, I forgot about it. :)

Last edited:

Wildalaska

A few pointers.

Find a manual and parts list on the web. Dont take it apart other than field stripping. Dont take it out and beat it. Its a classic.

WildtreasureitAlaska ™©2002-2011

Wildalaska

Fiocchi makes it, and match ammo is usually Std velocity

WildfiocchiisinthereasonablypricedrangeAlaska ™©2002-2011

Kodyo

All of the ammo I bought today claims "Target" or "Standard Velocity"
Remington 22 Target
Winchester Super X
Federal Premium Target

I found a manual online and took it apart and cleaned it. I plan to shoot about 100 rounds through it on saturday to see how it goes. Are these pistols well made and capable of withstanding thousands of rounds? Or should I limit my shooting of it?

paladin-34

kodyo,

its a well made gun that will go 10's of thousands of rounds. their Achilles heal is the mag.. they dont have a feed ramp if the mag is not set up right or the front ears are cracked it will be frustrating. the ammo wont feed correctly.

yours looks factory new so you should be fin for your lifetime.

Joe

Wildalaska

they dont have a feed ramp if the mag is not set up right or the front ears are cracked it will be frustrating. the ammo wont feed correctly.

Dont drop the mag :)

You can find like new ones on Gunbroker. Splurge, they are spendy but worth it

WildatrueclassiclooksingreatshapetooAlaska ™©2002-2011

Kodyo

How do the aftermarket ones compare? If there are any good ones, post a link to them if you could.

DMMikey

Spend some time on the web, there is a ton of info on Hi-standard out there. The gun will not withstand a steady diet of high velocity ammo, but should be fine with standard velocity. Check out rimfire central, another forum dedicated to .22's. There is a section there for Hi standard. It's a great gun, capable of outstanding accuracy. It might also have some of the best ergonomics of any gun made. Enjoy it, but take care of it. By most of what I have heard, the current production is nowhere near as good.

paladin-34

new mags have to be tuned to your gun. i did this once, it took about 4 trips to the range to get it right. also have bought mags that never shot right, so its a crap shoot.

Joe

HighValleyRanch

Do not dry fire your High Standard.

It's very common on High standard to have the edge of the chamber peened by even an accidental dry fire. The rear of the chamber is softer than many and will get indented, causing problems with chambering.

I had to have a gunsmith use a special tool to pull out the peen and reshape the chamber mouth.

Use of hi velocity .22's will eventually crack the frame because they are thin near the top of the magazine well. It's common for a diagonal crack to appear there which then has to be welded. Mine occurred after thousands of rounds of mixed .22's, some of which were hi velocity and mini mags.

Kodyo

I've already bought some snap caps for when I have to dry fire the gun. Since this is my grandfathers pistol, I fully intend to keep the round count low.
If I get into .22s, then I'll just go buy a beater.

Thanks for the help everyone!