Got my first issue of my NRA magazine today.

JimDandy

And it made me wish I'd have picked No Magazine. I was really hoping for something better than Bloomberg Bad, Vote Gun Rights! The best article was just an excerpt from one on a web-based magazine here

I picked "America's First Freedom" If you picked something else and got better results let me know, I'll try and switch. If you're joining up soon, and want to save money, pick No Magazine, or a different one.

BarryLee

The American Rifleman is pretty decent. They do cover gun rights issues, but also have some decent gun related articles. This month they have an article written by author Stephen Hunter about a WWII German para-trooper gun (sorry don’t remember the model).

Last edited:

southjk

Same here. And I thought it was just me. It usually goes straight to the recycling bin. Sometimes I'll thumb through but mostly not.

Sevens

The American Rifleman is a decent print gun magazine for what it is, there are often some very interesting gun-based historical articles that I find interesting. I can't say it would be worth the typical annual subscription cost, but it does seem as if few magazines are worth that expenditure these days.

However, for what amounts to a "no cost throw-in" as an additional benefit of your NRA Membership, it's actually a very good magazine with a number of quality articles worth reading. While there is certainly some political "them vs. us" articles in every issue, America's First Freedom basically has nothing but exactly that.

Definitely change your magazine.

g.willikers

Both the American Rifleman and the American Hunter are decent enough.
Especially considering the subscription price.
If it makes you guilty to just throw them away, opt for the downloadable digital version.
Click, read, delete.
And the size of the print can be enlarged for us old guys.
And a useful article can be saved to the computer.
If the interactive version is chosen, there's lots of web links to explore.

carguychris

JimDandy said:
I picked "America's First Freedom" If you picked something else and got better results let me know...
My wife was briefly an NRA member, and we signed her up for "America's First Freedom", since I had only ever read "American Rifleman" and I was curious what was different.

My conclusion is that AFF has largely the same content as AR, notably the shrill editorials from the NRA higher-ups, just minus the equipment-related and historical articles.

I concluded that we weren't really missing anything by only reading AR.

This thread reminds me that I should really switch to the digital edition so I don't kill so many trees. :eek:
Bozz10mm said:
The American Rifleman is no better or no worse than Shooting Times or Guns and Ammo.
For the most part, yes. However, IMHO its main selling point over your middle-of-the-road magazine-rack gun press pablum is the occasional scholarly and detailed technical article, like the recent one about the US military's new M855A1 cartridge. Sadly, these types of articles don't come often enough.

Aer656y9

I too get American Rifleman. It is much more about equipment and the actual guns than it is the politics and legality.

2damnold4this

For the most part, yes. However, IMHO its main selling point over your middle-of-the-road magazine-rack gun press pablum is the occasional scholarly and detailed technical article, like the recent one about the US military's new M855A1 cartridge. Sadly, these types of articles don't come often enough.

That's a good point. You also don't see details of the arms used in historic conflicts such as the 1916 Easter uprising in Ireland in most of the gun press but AR has it.

dakota.potts

Another vote for American Rifleman. I have to ignore some of the fear mongering (even though I agree with a lot of the stances in principal) but they tend to confine those to the letters from the editors/president etc. in the beginning. The rest of the magazine tends to largely be gear and usually one cool historical article. I enjoy reading those.

LockedBreech

I get rifleman. As a political moderate the political angle makes me roll my eyes every month, but you can see some neat gun history write-ups.

Kreyzhorse

There are bleed over articles that appear in both mags. I really like AFF but it does become a bit shrill at times but I enjoy the legal aspect of the on going attempts ban firearms / ammo.

The AR is a lot like Guns and Ammo but I think its a little better.

I'm glad the American Rifleman dropped the Hunting Wheels section. I don't want to read about trucks or ATVs.

I also wish they had more gunsmithing articles like the earlier American Rifleman did.

I was associate editor of Rifleman in the early 1990s when we started moving away from a lot of the home gunsmithing articles.

One reason was potential liability. I think it was either Bob Munden or Bob Milek who wrote an article for Buns & Whammo that included a section on how to adjust the trigger on a particular gun. Some jackass didn't follow the instructions and ended up shooting himself or a buddy, and everyone got sued. At least that's what I remember.

Another reason is that people weren't doing the smithing projects like they used to when you could by a truck load of K98ks for $5.

bbqbob51

I get American Rifleman. Not enough articles and editorials about guns, shooting instructions, firearm history and accessories. Too many of their editorials are the same old diatribe. I want them to advocate for my 2A rights and that is why I'm a member. They just beat the same drum beat over and over again and in the same issue.
I do enjoy sections of every issue I receive, I just wish they were a higher percentage of the publication. I also subscribe to G&A and Gun Tests and find them to have more "meat" to chew on. That being said I will still be a member of the NRA and still get AR magazine until I die or get so senile I forget to renew each year.

MuzzleBlast

Oh yeah, gotta agree "America's First Freedom" is the most tedious and eyeroll-worthy gun-related magazine I have ever tried to read. Update your membership to "no magazine," and just go to the American Rifleman website.

coldbeer

My dads American rifleman magazines are what got me into firearms in the early 80's. Back then I used to love reading the dope bag section. I remember the first time I saw a Glock in an American Rifleman article. I thought to myself nobody is going to buy these plastic guns no matter how many bullets it can hold. Boy was I ever wrong.