Good substitute for a reloading bench?

OfcrBill

Reloading Bench

Here is what I scraped together over the years. The bench is a woodworkers bench, it's slim and works for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 298

Trapp

I just clamp my system (a 3 ft 2x6 with the press and powder dispenser) on to the coffee table in the living room. Unclamp and put in the closet when I'm done, or when the wife tells me to.

Russ5924

I made mine out of an old Microwave (heavy duty) cart.took the wheels off and mounted a 3/4 plywood top, used 4 5/16 bolts to mount the top.To the front the wood overhangs about 6" so I could drill and bolt the press easy.Just the right size doesn't take up a lot off room,been using it about three years.You can make the top any size but if to big could tip????????

Joe D

I made mine from an old wooden industrial desk. Looks just like the metal ones. I happend to get mine free for hauling it off. These and the metal ones can be bought for $20. The metal ones need a wooded top bolted to them as they will flex a bit.

Dfaugh, I am just as cheap. Actually I prefer the word thrifty. I learned a long time ago that your wealth is determined not by how much you earn, but by how much you don't spend. Free and clearance sale are some of my favorite words.

wyrdone

Home Depot has these work benches with butcher block tops that comes as an "assemble yourself kit" for about $140.

I have considered picking one up for my basement shop since I currently don't reload but plan on getting into it. That way I can gave a seperate "gunsmith" workbench that I can also do reloading at. (maybe make the press removable using wing nuts or maybe T-Nuts on the bottom and some bolts through the top.)

Gewehr98

Free is always good.

Mine's a converted table saw, made of welded 2" square steel tubing, 1/4" steel plate on top, and 3/4" high-density fiberboard. The bottom shelf, where the saw's motor used to sit, now holds all my brass bins and bullets. The top is drilled for the Hornady O-Frame and Dillon 550B, using carriage bolts for a solid mount. It just plain doesn't move, even when I'm reforming donor brass into wildcats, etc.

verticalbench.jpg

Nortonics

I used a solid/heavy flat wood door that my neighbor gave to me years ago. Kept the hinges on it and attached them to a wall in the laundry room, except sideways. Mounted two 2x4 legs to the underside front edge using another pair of hinges. Viola - a perfect bench that you can collapse the legs and the whole thing collapses against the wall (although that's never happened since the day I installed it... ;) )

tjhands

Just as an update:

I bought a build-it-yourself kit from Menard's for $49.99 They also had an 11% coupon that week, so that knocked another $5 off. :p It's worked just fine so far, and I'm enjoying reloading!! Thanks for all the advice.

Attachments

• General 123.jpg
    General 123.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,495
  • General 122.jpg
    General 122.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,104

klgreene

Cheap reloading bench!!

An old wooden computer desk worked great for me. I did however have to reinforce it with 2x4's to sturdy it up.

norielX

Also using the Frankford Arsenal bench

I've been using it for almost a year now, with a RockChucker. I'd recommend adding some weight to the bottom. I'm thinking of getting some new tops or at least putting some metal on my existing top. It's nice having the Akrobins to go on the side as well. I'll probably have to take my setup to my Father's place so I can show him and my brother how to reload. The plastic is pretty tough on the top, though. It surprised me how much longer it took for me to drill through it.

G56

I wish I had taken a photo of my first bench, I was extremely space limited, and I wanted it to be out of sight when not in use, I built it inside a closet! It was only about 2 ft X 2 ft, space enough for the press and a small amount of table space, the nice thing about it was that when you closed the door, it was invisible! :D

Colduglandon

I made mine from an old metal sink base. Two draws on the left with a small door underneath. Two wider doors to the right under where the sink would have been. I covered the back of the base with sheet metal. I bolted 2 x 12's across the top for the work area. I mounted my presses, a progessive and a single stage on 2 x 10's. I have one bolt on the progessive to the rear and I can pivot that setup out of the way to the rear of the bench and then bolt the single stage down. I don't have to take the case feeders of etc when I am not using the progressive press. With on bolt at the rear of the 2 x 10 I can swing the presses into a comfortable positions. I was updating a kitchen years back and that just happen to coincide with my introduction to reloading. Also if you have the presses mounted on a 2 x 10 you can take it with you, and like others said above clamp it. I bring it to my summer place and bolt it down to a picnic table.

A neighbor of a friend in NH is an avid reloader. The wife complained she never saw him. So he bolted his press to a nice heavy coffee table and moved it into the parlor.

JB in SC

Here's one that I thought was a good design for a portable reloading "bench". It was sent to me by Steve Timm (the gun writer), and appears to be fairly easy to build for someone with rudimentary carpentry skills (which I don't have). It does not require clamping to a table.

SteveTimmsbenchdesign.jpg

Best,
JB

Shrinkmd

How about progressive?

I've been thinking about getting a Dillon progressive machine vs a rockchucker single stage and putting it on a Frankford Arsenal portable to keep my wife happy (finished basement) Any thoughts on this? Do you set it up on top of a table, or just on the floor and put all the components and finished ammo on a separate surface?

Thanks for all advice

a-bolt

Lee Hand held press alternative to a bench...

I languished many years in an appartment and had little space. However, I reloaded thousands of rifle and pistol rounds with great success by using the LEE hand press.

Midway, Midsouth etc. sells them. They also have a kit version too. Bottom line: you can reload easily and efectively without a bench mounted set up - great for beginners.

On another note: I am impressed with some of the practical and low cost bench solutions that many of you have posted pics of. Please keep those coming. I am keen to make a self contained bench that is the size of a dairy/milk crate or two.

A-bolt
~ happiness lately is a Nikon scoped, 9.5" bbl. Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Rem Mag.

Attachments

• leepress.jpg
    leepress.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 906

smedley

got an idea for ya

Before I ended up building my bench I was thinking of setting up on a roll around tool box. You can get a good used one at most pawn shops or garage sales. The nice thing about them is the drawers are already there for storage. A slab of plywood for the top and you are good to go. You could mount the press on one side the case trimmer on the other side. A couple of boards up the back and you could have a small shelf for the powder throw and scale.

donkee

Here's my Workmate bench. Is good for the apartment. Still can fold up and put it out of site if necessary.

Attachments

• LoadingBench(2).jpg
    LoadingBench(2).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,043

biglmbass

I've been on the verge of taking up reloading for years. This thread has given me some fantastic ideas.

Thanks to all for posting their pics. I'm especially pleased w/ the low buck setups.