Good hunting rifles

Mosin-Marauder

Savage Axis, Any number of Remington model 7--'s, 783's, 770's, I've seen NEW 700 ADL's at Wallyworld for under $300 i think., Rossi makes some decent single shots, H&R makes really nice single shots, well they used to, you'll only find used ones now. Marlin lever guns, possibly some of the newer bolt actions that people traded in. Most of those are going to be used, you can get the Axis New like I did for around $275 without a scope, I got mine for $270 out the door. The 783/770 Remingtons you could probably get for under $300 new. Without a scope though, or if it comes with a scope, it will be very budget end. You can get a really nice M24/47 or M48 Yugoslavian Mauser for less than $300. With Irons Sights I can hold a bit less than 2.5 inches at 100 yards, and I've killed a deer with mine recently, mine is an M24/47. Any number of C&R guns would be perfect if a scope isn't required. Mosins, Mausers, K-31's or any of the Swiss variety of straight pulls would be perfect and are super accurate.

PatientWolf

What is the terrain you hunt and what range shots do you expect?

Some of the many good options include:
Marlin 336 (or one of the many house brand that are 336s)
Savage 110 bolt action (I'd look for one in .243, .270, .308 or 30-06)

Savage99

Ask friends and family what they have. You may get something as a gift.

Ask family if they have one to lend.

Blindstitch

You have several options but it all comes down to your location and who's selling.

In most locations a lever action rifle will be an easy solution. Some bolt rifle can be had to but it pays to know what you need.

jimbob86

What's a good deer hunting rifle that you can get used around $300? Thanks

Both my brother and my dad found Remington 721's (in .270WIN and 30-06) for just over $300 ..... both guns were on consignment racks, and my brother's came with a whole box of reloading tools and supplies, including several hundred bullets and the original owners load data.

I got one for under $400, as well.

They are not "new", shiny, or in the latest, greatest, next big thing caliber..... but like most deer caliber rifles, they have not been shot a whole lot. Most hunters don't go through a box a year.

They are not light, or short, like so many modern guns ..... but they don't need to be: work toward stronger arms, not a lighter gun........

The stocks are plain, and set up for iron sights, so a comb raising kit will be helpfull if you feel the need to scope it ......

....but they are good solid hunting rifles that will bring home the venison.

Pathfinder45

You never know what you'll find in a 2nd hand gunshop. Like Jimbo86 says; those rifles are out there. Older lever and bolt guns are often much better rifles than many of the new ones, especially on a dollar-for-dollar comparison.

godale

the 770s are junk but those new 783s dont seem bad. thats the rifle that should have come out many years ago not the 710.:(

T/C Ventures are more like $350ish used, but I'd try to step up to that if I were you; good stuff, Maynard.

The 710 / 715 / 770 / Whitetail Hunter are not *complete* junk, really, but definitely not that great for the price. The 783 is much better, though not as good as a 700.

Last edited:

godale

783 was never meant to be compared with the 700. 783s peers are the axis and the ruger american. and your right the 770 isnt complete junk, but for the money there are better choices. alot of people compared the 710 to the 700 but in reality the 710 was more like the mossberg atr and the stevens 200.

overanalytical

The Ruger American rifles are not bad for an entry level rifle. There are a lot a good calibers to choose from out there. I would put some thought into where and how you will be hunting, and pick a couple cartridges that would work and see what's out there.

redrick

TC is running a $75 dollar rebate on the Venture until the end of the month . You could get the Venture for around $350 , that would be my first choice .
Second would be the Ruger American or good used gun .

jimbob86

The Ruger American rifles are not bad for an entry level rifle. There are a lot a good calibers to choose from out there. I would put some thought into where and how you will be hunting, and pick a couple cartridges that would work and see what's out there.

For the vast majority of whitetail hunting situations, within reason (I'm not suggesting something in .25/20 or some obscure 19th century french chassepot round), caliber is pretty irrelevant: no deer at a range under ~150 yards will be able to tell the difference between any of the common deer cartridges out there, from .223 to .35 Whelen and everything in between...... if the shooter can shoot, even a fairly crappy gun only capable if 4" 100 yard groups will do the job: the target area is more than twice that tall, and wider still .....

.... and if you are able to handload, the cost of factory ammo becomes irrelevant, too ..... If you don't ..... well, that can be fixed....

BlackPowderBen

I have a friend who deer hunts with a .223. He used a ballistic tip on a whitetail recently and the bullet expanded and totally destroyed the heart and some of the lungs.

T. O'Heir

Prowl your local gun shops about a week or so after deer season ends. That's when the best used kit comes on sale. Guy misses his shot, blames the rifle/cartridge and trades it in on something he still won't practice with.
"...deer hunts with a .223..." And? The only real issue with using a .223 these days is that most factory ammo comes with a varmint bullet and it's not legal everywhere. Plus shot placement is critical.
A lot of guys will buy whatever ammo is cheapest too. Your buddy sounds like an exception. Be a guy to listen to.

MGMorden

If looking at used you can often find all sorts of things at that price, but I often see Savage 110's used at around $275. I've had one in .30-06 for around 13-14 years now and it's been great.

CDNN does have brand new Marlin XS7's on sale right now for $249. I'm guessing they're closeouts as Marlin has now discontinued the model. Similar action type to the Savage and with a better feeling stock (if you're right handed). The Marlin would rank better than the Axis, Rem 783, or Mossberg ATR in my opinion. The Ruger American feels nice too but will cost a bit more.

Another option if you're really pressed is a Rossi single shot. Those tend to be really cheap and they certainly work. My brother is a bit of a cheapskate and has one that has every bit of finish worn off the stocks but he's taken more than a dozen deer with that gun.