Good Friend

andrsnsm

I am struggling to see what was inflammatory in what I said but we all read things differently. If you were upset by what I said I apologize as that was not my intent.

HisSoldier

If he's had issues with it and Kimber still hasn't made it right, I'd politely decline the offer (if he truly wouldn't mind you doing so).

Huh? Why not work out the issues if there are any. troubleshooting 1911's is actually not only easy but it's fun. Doing so will make you an expert on that particular gun. ;) Add to that you will be so happy that you did a better job on it than they did at the factory.

There are so very many people who actually understand the 1911 and would be glad to help but also replacement parts are extremely common. I'd definitely get rid of a plastic mainspring housing, that's extremely easy, and pretty cheap too. If this will be a carry gun I personally would also replace any MIM parts in the firing train and the safety. For a range gun it doesn't matter.

I've become a pretty vocal MIMber basher, but the truth is that mine is extremely accurate and reliable, it just has too many MIM parts for what it cost.

dgludwig

it just has too many MIM parts for what it cost.

But isn't that kind of the point? The pistol didn't cost anything! His "good friend" gave it to him. Mim parts-or any other perceived short-coming on the pistol-seems to me to be utterly irrelevent. Or maybe I'm making too much out of the gift part of the equation.

Hey, I wish my friends gave me Kimbers!

In all seriousness, though, it's a gift, and the whole 'not looking a gift horse in the mouth' is pretty on the money here. Heck, if a friend gave me a Jennings I wouldn't refuse that. I'd take it to the range and shoot it and if it shot fine, great. If not, into the safe it goes.

GojuBrian

Don't believe everything you read. My kimber has been a reliable shooter from day 1. Most people just don't know how to use 1911's properly. Alot of failures come from improper grip and control.

HisSoldier said:
Huh? Why not work out the issues if there are any. troubleshooting 1911's is actually not only easy but it's fun. Doing so will make you an expert on that particular gun. Add to that you will be so happy that you did a better job on it than they did at the factory.

So many people have the false premise that ALL guns can be fixed one way or another. That simply isn't true. My whole point, as I'll try to explain again, is IF the gun is not repairable, what good can come to accepting a firearm in this condition when all it will do is collect dust in a safe? How are you going to break it to your buddy when you guys head out to the range with guns in tow sans the given firearm?

When it all comes down to it, I see gifts differently. (We're talking about a scenario that the firearm isn't repairable) If I was the one offering the firearm I'd rather have my friend tell me up front he appreciates the gesture, but doesn't want to accept it for any reason he feels fit. People get so hung up on being offended or fear of offending by turning down a gift. Thing is, the bigger picture is being overlooked. The gesture of the giver and the appreciation of the would-be receiver is what's important. I say this in general, not singling anyone out in this thread. I do feel, unfortunately, many get hung up on the former these days.

Of course, if the gun is repairable or functions just fine, then it's a different story altogether.

Sgt Pepper

This is one of those "pay it forward" moments in your life. I suggest that as soon as you receive it, you "pay it forward" to me.....

HisSoldier

Tuttle8, I still think I'd take it, but that's me. If it didn't work I'd try to tweak it, as I said, and if that didn't work (Worst case scenario, frame ramp angle is wrong) I'd let my friend know what I found and ask if he'd mind me parting it out. :) I bought 11 handguns recently for $500, and will have to part some of them out and sell the parts on GB.
But of course, why would anyone want MIM parts? :D

hobunchastuf

A Kimber for $300 would be a gift in itself... a buddy giving it to you is VERY special. Take it, shoot it and if anything isn't perfect with it you can improve on it without losing any money, just fun learning. It's free up to that point, right? I believe your bud is a keeper.

toyman69

I apreciate all the advice. I definately was not trying to make this in to a arguement, i was just wondering what would need to be changed or adjusted. and yes I do plan on shooting the snot out of it.

You guys are a great source of information and I have learned a lot of things on how to tweak my own guns here. so I come here first when I have an issue.

Again, Thanks.
Don

aarondhgraham

I wish someone would give me a gun,,,

But wait!,,,
Someone did give me a handgun just last year.

It's not one I would have ever bought for myself,,,
But I'll keep it forever 'cause she wanted me to have her dad's gun.

629.jpg

Accept the Kimber and "shoot the snot" out of it!

If it's a lemon,,,
It gives ya something to rag him about in your old age.

If it's a performer,,,
It gives ya something to thank him for in your old age.

Gift Kimbers have no teeth,,,
Don't go looking for a horses mouth.

JMHO,,,

toyman69 said:
I apreciate all the advice. I definately was not trying to make this in to a arguement, i was just wondering what would need to be changed or adjusted.

Argument? Nah! Just providing different point of views. In the end, if we were at our local range, we'd have the same discussion. Now afterwards, we''d be arguing over who buys the first round...:D

toyman69

I guess that it would have to be me buying the first round.
after all I get a free gun and like minded people to share my interests with.

Thanks
Don