Good Friend

toyman69

I have a friend that has told me he's giving me a kimber stainless TLE. WOW :eek:.

Having heard a lot of negitive comments about kimbers reliability and workmanship, I was wondering.

what do I need to do to the gun to make it a reliable shooter ?
or should I just keep it in the safe and be grateful that I have friend that is willing to give me a gift like that.

I have not seen it yet and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before I see him again. but I will not hurt his feelings by refusing to take it or even make any negitive comments about the gun, and I definately will not sell it because it came from a good friend.

Has he disclosed if the Kimber was reliable for him? If so, why is he "giving" it to you? Does he have traceability of the purchase?

If it hasn't been reliable, has he fired the number of rounds required to satisfy Kimber's "break-in" period? Has he sent the gun to Kimber for repair?

If he's had issues with it and Kimber still hasn't made it right, I'd politely decline the offer (if he truly wouldn't mind you doing so). To receive a gift that's designed for shooting shouldn't be left in the safe just because you didn't want to hurt his feelings.

If he hasn't had problems, then I'd graciously accept it. What you do with it from there is up to you.

aroundchicago

In all seriousness, the gun could also be very very tight and perhaps it just needs 500 rounds through it. I'd just keep shooting it and see if it loosens up some. It could turn out to be a really good gun and maybe your friend hasn't shot it enough. But then, sometimes a lemon is possible....but it could be fixed if thats the case.

andrsnsm

You guys are already talking about the dang gun not working and Kimber fixing it and you don't know anything about it except one guy is giving it to another guy. Kimber makes excellent guns and all the bashing of Kimbers is ridiculous. The gun is quite possibly fine! Just accept it and enjoy it, it's a frigging gift.

Edward429451

Even if he's had problems with it, so what? It is a very significant gift and steps should be taken to turn it into a shooter. If he's only giving it to you because he had problems...then fix it, shoot it and give him some gifters remorse back because now it works, HA!

TimNelson

I don't own any kimbers but just a couple things you MAY want to do, not have to do, is change the main spring housing, kimber uses a plastic one from what I understand, and although its not the worst thing, it is a common complaint. Another thing you may want to do is go to a full length guide rod to add a little weight in the front and help with recoil. I wouldn't worry about the gun having any problems unless your friend tells you there are some problems or you experience them on your own. Just take it and say thanks.

toyman69

Just a little more info. He has another one, and caries it daily for his security work. He has told me he has never had a problem with his.
well I made the commment that his looks nice and that I wished my 1911 looked that good.
last week he stopped a friend of his from selling this one at pawn shop, for 300. He then called me to let me know that he had a present for me, namely the kimber.

andrsnsm said:
You guys are already talking about the dang gun not working and Kimber fixing it and you don't know anything about it except one guy is giving it to another guy.

I don't know whether to lash back at your severely misunderstood statement or just read it again and just laugh....:rolleyes:

andrsnsm

All I was trying to say was that there was no indication that the gun was flawed except that was a Kimber. It was to be a gift that should be cherished and appreciated, not questioned before he even got it.

Walt Sherrill

Ditto -- don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and don't assume that it's broken until you have experience with the gun in question.

There are a LOT of Kimbers that run just right -- so IF there is something wrong with the gun, a competent gunsmith (or Kimber) can make it right. And if there's nothing wrong, so much the better.

Ichiban

Friends that give you guns are friends to keep.

I have several Kimbers and all have been problem free - except sometimes they are hard to get back if I let someone else shoot them.:)

Accept it graciously and at least buy the guy a bottle of good tequila.

toyman69

Ichiban I like your comments, and I was thinking about a couple bottles. :)

I want to thank all of you who have replied, and I gladly welcome your advice.

A gift

Say thank you. shoot the snot out of it. Return your graditude with a nice bottle of Knob Creek Bourbon, a great steak and cigars after. Did I say to say Thank you. And if he has another one he it wanting to give as a gift he can contact by pm.:rolleyes:

6onthehip

re

agreed -even if it was broken i'd fix it - i dont' turn down free weapons as long as they are legal what kind of friend would give you a broken gun without telling you anyway??

andrsnsm said:
All I was trying to say was that there was no indication that the gun was flawed except that was a Kimber. It was to be a gift that should be cherished and appreciated, not questioned before he even got it.

Sure didn't read it the way you claim. The only person that even remotely posted something negative about Kimber before you made your inflammatory remark was me. Even then, I specifically stated IF it wasn't working right. I also stated if it WAS working right what to do. Last thing we need around here is another Kimber love/hate fest....

If I were to give a firearm to a friend only to see it one day sitting in the safe permanently, I would have mixed emotions of confusion and slighted with the question of why it isn't used. If it were a problematic gun that frustrated him, I would feel badly I gave him a paperweight. What good is it to receive a firearm if this is the case? Just to make that person artificially feel appreciated only to really open up a can of worms later? That's why I provided questions and "what if" scenarios.