Good basic 1911

I think some things can be labeled "Made in USA" even if they are not 50% depending what country they are made in. I think as some trade/defense agreements certain countries, mostly geographically close poor allies, contribute a percentage of their work to the count. As an example not based in fact, say work in a South American Country counts as 50%. Product 75% made in Honduras and 25% in the US. That would be 62.5% "Made in the USA"

RickB

I have not heard that Springfield no longer buys from Imbel, but it's possible. However, even when SA was buying from Imbel, the lower-end guns (the GIs and Mil-Specs, for the most part) were completely built in Brazil and imported as completed firearms. They were marked "Made in Brazil." The higher end models used frames and slides (and some other parts, I believe) made by Imbel in BRazil, but the parts were shipped loose and final assembly was done by SA in the U.S. The government's rules are that if more than 50 percent of the work is performed in the U.S., the product can be labeled "Made in U.S.A."

Which means that manufacturers can play all sorts of games about how to justify that whatever work they do in the U.S. represents more than 50 percent of the total.

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The engine and some other parts were made in Canada. The transmission, fuel injection, and ignition system were made in France. The glass was all made in Mexico. But it's an "American" vehicle. I had a 1993 Honda. The body, the glass, the electronics, even the tires and battery were made in the U.S. (Marysville, OH), but the engine, transaxle and drive train were made in Japan and shipped to Ohio as completed sub-assemblies. Even though American labor actually did more work on the Honda than on the Jeep, the Honda was classified as a Japanese vehicle.

Yeah, I'm aware of all the speculation about the significance of serial number prefixes, etc.
I had a G.I. with no import marks, just about the same time I learned that G.I.s were being imported as complete guns. My speculation was that Springfield maintained supplies of partially-completed frames that could be completed in-house to fill whatever quota was scheduled.
That's why there were imported Loaded models, but non-import G.I.s and Mil-Specs.
Apparently, no new Springfields have import marks, but that still doesn't mean they are "made" in the U.S.
My MINI was "made" in England, but most of the warning labels under the hood are in German. Some of the new ones, even though festooned with Union Jack symbolism, are made almost entirely in Austria. So it goes.

psyfly

Yep. There are a lot of good 1911s out there.

But, for my first one, I'd make it a Colt.

Everybody should have a Colt 1911

Then you can experiment: It's not as if the Colt is going to insist on being your one and only :D.

I have a Colt which accompanies me sometimes.

But my CCW in .45 is a Para-Ordnance. My Colt(s) never complain :cool:.

W.

Armybrat

First choice make it a Colt.

The Remington R1 is a good gun for the price. GrabaGun has them for $539 + $6 shipping, and there is a factory $75 cash rebate:

http://grabagun.com/rem-1911-45acp-5-7rd-blk-wlnt-2-mgs.html

The R1 I bought last Fall was made in NY, but read that as of April they are being made in Birmingham, Alabama.

c2315f41dc13b90cbc7d45d6f649890884f0aaf.jpg

Dave1911

My Kimber Custom II has been a great gun. Good trigger. Accurate. I like the big black combat sights. And it's traditional blue finish looks good. I see they have one with walnut grips.

Custom II

xmen

I have a citadel too. I like it a lot. Feels good to shoot and can be found for under 400 new, but of course it is Philippines made.

JDBerg

The STI Spartan V has the Armscor (Phillipines) slide, frame, & barrel with the STI internal fire controls. It comes with the LPA rear sight and the F.O. Front sight. Although STI has discontinued the Spartan, these can still be had for $600.00.

lamarw

I like my old Remington R1 which was made in NY, but is now made in Huntsville, AL (not Birmingham). Bought mine back in Dec. 2011 for $550.00. At the time, it was a very low price.

Side by side, it is almost a twin to my Colt M1911 delivered to the U.S. Govt. in 1918.

ligonierbill

Thanks to all for sharing your views. This afternoon I ordered a Springfield Range Officer. It was a little more than their Mil Spec, and just a little less than Colt's Gov't Model. The deciding factor for me was the adjustable sights, since most of my use will be at the range. This is #32 on my reloading list, and I'm looking forward to some good shooting.

Quentin2

Good choice! I have a Range Officer Compact that I like a lot. Of course now you still need to get a Colt (my first 1911). My most recent is a Remington R1 that is such a nice gun and an amazing deal during a Memorial Day sale plus a $75 rebate.