Good basic 1911

ligonierbill

Don't have one :eek:. So I can't call my collection complete, right? Now, if you put "1911" into the Gunbroker search, you get over 100 pages of listings. I guess they are kinda popular. So, if a guy wanted one that was:
  • Wood and blued (just cause)
  • Lower end of the price range
  • US manufacture (OK, they can import parts)
  • MIM is fine (I was a metallurgist when I made an honest living)
what, say, 3 pistols should he look at?

tallball

The cheapest ones, which are quite functional, come from Turkey and the Philippines. They are around $500.

Last edited:

WVsig

Colt 80 Series You can get one for about $700

LinkClick.aspx

Colt 70 Series. You can get one for about $800 + shipping to your FFL.

LinkClick.aspx

Colt 70 Series Gold Cup can get this one for about $1250.

GetImage.ashx

Urban_Redneck

Series 70* Colt or Springfield.

I'm partial to the Springfield Range Officer :)

YMMV

* If for no other reason than it's easier to detail strip/re-assemble.

Last edited:

MarkCO

Remington R1. I have seen them for as low as $449 on sale. Usually about $550 or so and they have a $75 rebate through May 31st.

pete2

I'd get a Colt or a Colt or a Colt. I have 3 Colts, a Ruger, a SA, a Kimber and a Citadel. If I could have a do over, all would be Colts except maybe the Citadel, it was 329.00 new from Bud's, couldn't pass it up.

lee n. field

Don't have one . So I can't call my collection complete, right? Now, if you put "1911" into the Gunbroker search, you get over 100 pages of listings. I guess they are kinda popular. So, if a guy wanted one that was:

Wood and blued (just cause)
Lower end of the price range
US manufacture (OK, they can import parts)
MIM is fine (I was a metallurgist when I made an honest living)

what, say, 3 pistols should he look at?

I would be looking at a Springfield Milspec.

One of them is far more effective. Guess which one?
Not made in the U.S. (Unless you consider "assembled in the U.S. using parts made in Brazil" as made in the U.S.)

Citadel is also not made in the U.S. They are made by one of the big three 1911 makers in the Philippines.

My vote would be Colt 1991, Colt Series 70, Colt Special Combat Government (or maybe Colt Gold Cup).

RickB

My understanding is that Springfield is no longer buying from Imbel.
The RO that I bought in September has no import markings on it.

For a blued/wood pistol that may be the only 1911 you ever own, definitely Colt.

I have not heard that Springfield no longer buys from Imbel, but it's possible. However, even when SA was buying from Imbel, the lower-end guns (the GIs and Mil-Specs, for the most part) were completely built in Brazil and imported as completed firearms. They were marked "Made in Brazil." The higher end models used frames and slides (and some other parts, I believe) made by Imbel in BRazil, but the parts were shipped loose and final assembly was done by SA in the U.S. The government's rules are that if more than 50 percent of the work is performed in the U.S., the product can be labeled "Made in U.S.A."

Which means that manufacturers can play all sorts of games about how to justify that whatever work they do in the U.S. represents more than 50 percent of the total.

I have a 1988 Jeep Cherokee. The engine and some other parts were made in Canada. The transmission, fuel injection, and ignition system were made in France. The glass was all made in Mexico. But it's an "American" vehicle. I had a 1993 Honda. The body, the glass, the electronics, even the tires and battery were made in the U.S. (Marysville, OH), but the engine, transaxle and drive train were made in Japan and shipped to Ohio as completed sub-assemblies. Even though American labor actually did more work on the Honda than on the Jeep, the Honda was classified as a Japanese vehicle.

ttarp

Auto Ordnance apparently has improved their Q/C since Kahr took over, they're competitively priced with the Filipino guns and made in USA. Mine hasn't stumbled yet.

UZO

Springfield Mil-Spec or Colt (1991-80 series)...
The SA Mil-Spec can be had usually for under $600... and Colt for about $700.
Both are excellent pistolas... the SA would be a great start for the $$s. Had one for years... flawless, accurate shoot plus SA is one of the best companies to deal with (as is COLT) if any problems do occur. Have several Colts, and would not sell them!
Bottom-line... Won't go wrong with either!