Good 30-06 bolt for around $350

Clark

When I was a kid, I would walk past any rifle that was not a 30-06, thinking, "Where would I find ammo for THAT?"

Now when I buy a 30-06, it is with the intention to covert it to a more over bore cartridge for long range hunting.

Bamashooter

I agree with the Venture. Mine was $399 and it shoots moa or better everytime I shoot it. I agree with a used rifle as an option. I have a Rem 700ADL in 270 I bought cheap and its a fine rifle. I also think these new rifles on the market that are in the $300-$500 range are good rifles with some being better than others of course.

SCgman

TC Venture has a good following. I have two TC Icons which are no longer in production. The Icons have a flat action receiver while the ventures use a more-economical-to-fabricate round bottom. The Icon uses a full block bedding system while the venture is pillar bedded. What the two have in common are the 5R rifling, full bodied bolt(3-lug I think), and the trigger system.

I'm not crazy about the venture stock and that's why I did not buy one years ago and went with the Icon instead. However, there's a lot on these boards about the venture accuracy out of the box. I believe their barrels and triggers may give them an edge.

BumbleBug

Clark said:
When I was a kid, I would walk past any rifle that was not a 30-06, thinking, "Where would I find ammo for THAT?"

Now when I buy a 30-06, it is with the intention to covert it to a more over bore cartridge for long range hunting.

+1....LOL

When I was a kid I saved up all my lawn-mowing money & bought a Rem 700 BDL at a near by Liquor Store (yes, back then the local Liquor store sold guns & ammo also)! I selected a .270 Win because of all my Outdoor Life reading by O'Conner. I was proud to show off what my $95 bought & when the old deer slayers around saw the caliber they all said "What, they didn't have any more .30-06's?" They snickered at me like some young rebel whipper-snapper that didn't know better! "Are you sure that'll kill a deer?".

48 years later, it will & still does, but to some not as good as a .30-06! The ol' 06 will always be a great choice for a deer rifle!

...bug ;)

+1 on the Venture.

I bought one last week, NIB from Bud's (I live close by). 7mm Mag weathershield out the door for 425.00 75.00 rebate right now from T/C makes it 350.00.

There won't be a better rifle for the money.

I love the Savage American Classics, but haven't had the opportunity yet to shoot the newer Axis. It's Savage, so I expect good things! but the T/C won out because a friend had a new one at the range last month, and it was holding 1/2" at 100 yards with factory ammo. (His was chambered in .308).

I own two Icons (.30 TC DSC Ltd. and .243) and they're both tack-drivers. I just had to try the Venture. : )

KR

Dirty_Harry

Are you set on a bolt action? If not I would be looking for a nice marlin 336 in .30-30 or .35 Remington. You already have a nice long range bolt, why not add a short, fast handling accurate carbine. Mild recoil too. You can find a nice used marlin in that price range.

reynolds357

The Venture has an awesome trigger in it. It comes out of the box all lawyered up, but the potential is there for a very crisp trigger with no pre or over travel. Not the easiest adjustment in the world to make, but not rocket science either.

xf9218

Pawn Shop find

About 2 yrs ago I found the most beautiful rifle I have. Its a peruvian Mauser in 30-06. Someone did a nice job on sporterizing it. I picked it up for 250.00. I thought the scope selection sucked but, we all have our personal preferance. It pays to shop around. I wasnt looking for a 30-06, being I like 308, but I never have looked back on this purchase. Good luck in your quest.