Good 30-06 bolt for around $350

mardanlin

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, I'd probably even take a used rifle. I've read lots of reviews but I'd like to get some first hand opinions. I really like my Vanguard in 300 Weatherby Magnum but it's honestly more than I need for my typical deer season. I was thinking about getting a used Vanguard in 30-06 but are there other rifles that are just as good for maybe a bit less coin?

Wyosmith

Prices on used guns most often go by condition. I have seen a few per-64 M-70 Winchesters for only $300, but they were not worth more because of the amount of rust on them.
So in a nut shell...... $350 is just a budget. You should try to get something in that price range that is in good overall condition and remember that it's easier to refinish wood than it is to repair or refinish metal.

taylorce1

Start looking around for a used Commercial 98 Mauser, Winchester M70 push feed or Savage 110 that would be the best bet for $350. Of course there are rifles that you can buy new in that price range but for a hunting rifle it is hard to beat an old commercial 98 Mauser. IIRC Thompson Center is offering a $75 mail in rebate for their Venture rifles right now through April and that will get you in about $400 for a brand new rifle.

uofudavid

A couple years back I picked up a Howa 1500 (~Vanguard) in .30-06 with scope included for $400. The free scope was not helpful, but does well on a 22LR. After upgrading to a vortex scope and load development this rifle shoots 5 shots ~ 2 inches at 200 yards (sub moa), with some groups as small as 1.25 inches.

This is by far my favorite bolt action rifle.

PawPaw

If you're looking for NIB, it's hard to beat the Ruger American or the Savage Axis. Both are good, entry-level rifles for hunting.

mardanlin

I would honestly like to get a better used rifle than a cheaper new one. I own a ton of old military rifles so as long as the bore is good I have no complaints.

I like the look of the 98 Mauser, but a Google search wasn't very helpful. Are the ones you're talking about a specific brand, or is there a brand I could look for to get me started? I've also heard good things about the savage 110 as well I'm just not crazy about their appearance and this would become my main hunting rifle so i want to love it.

doofus47

Savage 110 or marlin xl7.
If you're patient, you could take your time and troll GunBroker.com. I found a post 64 win70 with scope masquerading as a ted Williams model 53 in 30-06 for 250.
Also, when I was going over different possible ways to make or buy a 260, I saw that winchester 770s were pretty cheap. Nice wood, generally, but they have a blind magazine. That 's a deal breaker for some people.
Good luck!

me26245

30-06

I have a GEW98 re-barreled to 30-06 for sale $325.00 plus shipping.
I have it posted (with pictures) on a couple of other blogs, just haven't got around to putting it on here.

PM if interested

hooligan1

I'd be lookin for a Savage 111, they're accurate and damn dependable.
Maybe an push feed #70 winchester, they are just so easy to make accurate and dependable..

Rifleman1776

Pawn shops are your friends. The shop owners are looking at dollars, not the item or condition. Often they pick up guns way below their value and are happy to resell at at reasonable profit. Prowl the pawn shops and don't be afraid to make low offers or be willing to walk away if your price is not accepted.

Doug76

I agree with PawPaw, the Ruger American or the Savage Axis if you want to buy new. I have the Ruger in .308 and .243, and my best bud has the Savage in .243. I liked the feel of the Ruger better but both are very accurate. My friend also has the Ruger in .30-06, and he swears by it.

Doug76

mardanlin, granted the American and the Axis are cheaper, but that doesn't mean they aren't as good. The cost was saved in parts not needed to be of the finest quality, while at the same time leaving what was necessarily high quality alone. Don't rule them out just because of their price. You would be doing yourself a disservice.

RC20

Why not hunt with one of the Military rifles you have?

Until the advent of the Pipeline, vast majority of the game taken in Alaska was with 1903 Sporter 30-06.

I just read of a guy who took a record Moose in Yukon with a 303 British!

30-06 can be had with hunting loads down to 150. Less if you handload or have a friend that does.

doceaux

30-06

Remington 700 BDL with rings , scope and bases at most gun shops $300-450 due to the magnum craze. If this is you cal. of choice they are easy to find.

BumbleBug

doceaux said:
Remington 700 BDL with rings , scope and bases at most gun shops $300-450 due to the magnum craze. If this is you cal. of choice they are easy to find.
I highly agree with this. The Rem 700 should definitely be on your short list. It meets all the criteria you have outlined & is a fine rifle.

FWIW...

...bug

reynolds357

TC Venture. Rack price on them is $350 to $400. They have a $75 rebate on them for the next couple of weeks. I am a rifle snob and I like them. Guaranteed Sub-Moa.