Good .22cal for backup carry

Teppo Sensei

the only reliable .22 is a revolver
get a ruger LCP or keltec P3AT .380
you wont find a smaller or lighter pistol for the price

My870inVT

I'd have to agree with most everyone on this one... I've owned only one semi-auto 22. and it was enough to know that the only 22. i'd consider carrying would have to be a revolver. Worst case scenario, the gun doesn't go bang, you just pull the trigger again. Also in a 22.lr revolver you can typically get 7-9 round cylinders. even if a single round fails you've got enough there to at least get yourself out of the situation.

David the Gnome

The only .22 currently made that is small enough for me to consider using for a backup gun is this:

naapug.jpg

Glenn Dee

I've seen some undercover officers carrying .22 mag derringers... High Standards I believe. Another one I know ( real well) kept a llama .22 pistol. It looked just like a miniature 1911. I happen to know that he put about 200 rounds through it every month, and never a problem. That same officer started out with a sterling.22 pistol, that failed him at the worse time. He had a gunsmith de-comishion it with a bandsaw. Botom line is... A .22 is better than no gun at all.

bob.a

The German-made Walther TPH is considerably lighter than the US Interarms version, due to the alloy frame. Unfortunately it is also considerably harder to find, and more expensive. Those issues aside, I suspect it would make a decent BUG if you insist on .22 cal.

Aren't the mini-revolvers single action only? So with them, don't you get a gun that's uncomfortable to hold, difficult to be accurate with, coupled with a slow rate of fire? Doesn't seem desirable in a gun already handicapped by a small/weak caliber.

Not knocking .22 as a BUG, but just saying, if that's gonna be your choice, it should be a gun that one should be able to shoot accurately and quickly. When people debate whether or not a .22 is useful for SD, the folks that think it is, often point out the low recoil of the round allows for fast, accurate follow-up shots. With the mini-revolvers, I think you negate that advantage as you shoot slower and of course it takes longer to reacquire the target between shots as well.

You bring up some valid points. There is a tradeoff with everything. I do carry a NAA mini in .22 lr with a 1 1/8" barrel. I carry it in a holster in my back pocket as a BUG. It is difficult to hold and shoot accurately (but not uncomfortable) beyond a few yards, but it isn't difficult to shoot well enough at interview distances. The rate of fire is slow, but it is a backup gun, not a primary. You forgot to mention that reloads are about as quick as the fossilization process too.

The benefit, however, it is that it is so small that it can be carried quite easily and all the time. It is light enough to be carried in a baseball cap on your head (but I would not suggest that), or in a sock as ankle carry. It costs me nothing to have it as a spare because of the easy of carry and so I see no reason not to carry it. So it is a gun that you can have with you always, although it isn't idea for primary self defense.

As with any other gun, you have to practice with it. Your first shot can be just as quick as your draw which puts the first shot as fast as with any other gun.

With that said, I am also of the mind that if you have to use your BUG, then you are in a situation so desperate that you don't need less firepower, but more. If you have not resolved the issue with the 16 rounds of 9mm, or 8 45 acp, 6 .357 mag or .38 spl, are 5 rounds of .22 going to do the trick? In general, bugs don't provide the same firepower as primary guns because their nature is to be more concealable, hence smaller, which usually means being a smaller caliber, smaller capacity, shorter barrel, and/or a slower rate of fire. So there is a bit of a catch .22 (pun intended).

PSP

If James Bond carried a .22 it would be this one.

tph25019.jpg

Q - "Lke a salami sandwich through a plate glass window." :eek:
M - "The American CIA swear by them...or at them, I forget which." :confused:
JB - "Q gives me wood every time I see him..." :rolleyes:
Moneypenny - "Oh James!" :eek:

:D

MTT TL

Actually Bond first carried a .25 ACP Beretta Modelo 418.

His bosses made him give it up because it was too weak. (ladies gun they called it :rolleyes:)

180px-Beretta_418_Rahul_Does.PNG

Last edited:

gyvel

Some suggestions:

Beretta Model 87.

FEG SMC .22

Unique Model 52 .22

Walthers: TPH, PP, PPK, PPKS .22s

All of these have proven to be very reliable for me.

What I DON'T recommend are the Beretta Model 21s

Just a quick note on the terminal performance on Quick Shock .22 ammo. While is was found in one place to be effective against chunks of meat and vegetables, it does have a significant problem, penetration.
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

Summary Statement...
Quik-Shok is intriguing, but its use as a personal defense cartridge is not recommended, based on its shallow penetration and mild wound truama.

Along this theme, as you move up in size to some of the semi-auto .22 pistols, you end up in sizes that overlap with larger caliber .32, .380 and even 9mm pistols. At that point, it is no longer advantageous to carry a .22 because it is smaller, when it isn't.

gyvel

There is a real place in the market (at least I WANT ONE) for a 6 or 7 shot .22 dbl action round butt revolver that is intermediate in size between a J frame Smith and a NAA mini. 75-100 years ago there were a bunch of cheap H&Rs and Iver Johnsons filling this niche. IF someone would produce a quality arm in this class I think it would sell well.

You are describing the Smith & Wesson '"M" Frame revolvers, aka the "Ladysmith," made until 1921.

Of course, if they made them nowadays they would all have to have the ILS and MIM parts:D

ferrarif1fan

I'll weigh in here...

I have a Firestorm .22 semi-auto pistol that I love. It is the EXACT same size as my Bersa 7-shot .380 that I carry regularly. I bought the Firestorm .22 so that I could practice with the same frame, trigger, etc. that I carry. The Firestorm has been a great little gun. It's small, relatively light weight, and very accurate. But...although it feeds and ejects fine about 95% of the time, it does tend to not eject casings occasionally. Which leads me to my next point...my Bersa 7-shot is the same size, pretty much the same weight, is extremely accurate and fires EVERY TIME. If I had to choose between the two based on size and weight, I'd choose the .380 every time simply because I want it to fire every time.

I've rarely heard of a .22 semi-auto that doesn't have occasional FTF's and FTE's. I just wouldn't want to take the chance on that happening at the critical moment. So, I'd suggest following the advice of others and either get a .22 revolver or get a reliable .380 that packs quite a bit more punch. And I would certainly recommend looking at the Bersa .380's. For the money, they are excellent guns. They are well made, have a great safety system (if you want that), and are highly reliable. You can pick them up in 7+1 or 15+1. Good luck with your search.

Robert

geologist

Beretta 71. Aluminum frame and VERY reliable with all brands of ammo.

It's surprisingly small in the hand, accurate and did I mention reliable? :D

It was used by the Israeli's for covert work.

Here's mine beside a K frame SW model 12 Airweight and a Baby Browning for size comparison.

S5000004-5.jpg

bamaranger

not

You may want to reconsider the ankle holster. Darn things are clunky and inconvenient, a hassle when you run or get off sidewalks.

I know quite a few guys over the years who carry the mini revolvers as a third gun. I've shot a few, and beyond arms length, can't hit anything. I put them in the category of contact weapons.

I've not seen the Beretta 21 family mentioned, I've had two: one ran, one did, but now, for some reason, doesn't.

I often have seen the mini's and my beretta, fail to fire because the ammo got spoiled from being carried in high heat/humidity. Anny .22 carried for defense needs the ammo changed regularly.

riggins_83

If you're going for a 22 cal for backup I'd also say go with a revolver. 22 semi autos can be such picky guns.. and if you're outside in the cold it or dusty weather it probably won't get any more reliable.

If I was going for a small BUG my first choice would be something in 32ACP or 380....

bapfreak

It is tuff to find a small 22LR that doesn't suck. I have seen the NAA mini-revolver 22s before and they seem very concealable. I have some doubts about being able to cock a mini revolver in a panic situation (they are single action). About the only one I can think of that would be decent is a Beretta Bobcat. They are a little awkward to hold, but shine above the competition.

Sulaco2

If you can find one, and get a good one, the Iver Johnson TP-22 has alot to commend it. I had both the .25 model and the .22 LR. The .25 was (is) feeding the fishs. The .22 which I bought from a Det Sgt rocked and I carried it as a on duty BUG (when my dept allowed such, sigh) it is now honorably retired for an LCP but still ready for duty call should I need it. Can easly one hand 35 yard hit pop can size targets. Likes .22 Stingers mostly.