Gold plating

x-five

Wanna know how long would a pretty thick 24k gold finish on a gun lasts. My friend is making all this gold palting things, and as I asked him about gold plating a gun he said that it would not last long, it would get scratches all over it etc. Maybe you know how long it wouldn't catch scratches, maybe some way of impregnating?

alex0535

24 karat gold is a very soft metal. For scratch resistance the Mohs Hardness scale should be considered.

24k gold is 2.5

The human fingernail is also 2.5

Try to scratch your fingernail and this might give you an idea of how it will hold up.

RJay

:D Yeeal, alex, where did you get all them smarts, are you one of those high school graduate show offs? BTW, Gold is the only metal that is malleable by hand.

Walt Sherrill

You probably wouldn't want to pay your FRIEND'S cost *just for materials) if he's plating in 24 kt gold.

You could consider whatever they use to do the trim on autos -- it is some alloy of gold, looks like gold, but is much more resistant to damage.

A gold-plated gun would be a conversation piece, but most of the conversation probably wouldn't be stuff you'd want to hear.

alex0535

The steel might need to be re-tempered after because the application process is a relatively hot one but Titanium Nitride would be a superior coating in every respect if the steels temper could be left intact.

It is a very low friction material, even when it is not lubricated. Not a whole lot of things are able to scratch it. It is the sort of coating you could very likely skid the thing across concrete. It is actually the material that makes some drill bits appear gold, evidence of its capabilities in high friction enviroments they typically have a longer life than most drill bits.

http://www.brycoat.com/coating-serv...nium-nitride-tin/tin-physical-properties.html

alex0535

For those wondering about my education. Formally a high school graduate, some college. Informally though I have a nearly photographic memory for things that I read. Varied interest, access to the infinite source of information available through the internet, and a whole lot of reading about a lot of things.

I know from the past that pure gold is one of the softest metals. Through previous knowlege of metals, minerals, and their hardness I have a decent understanding of the rockwell and mohs hardness scales. Thought it best to give you a frame of reference for how easy gold is to scratch and my first thought was pure aluminum, but who has a block of pure aluminum laying around? Then I saw something about the fingernail, that one was new to me.

Titianium nitride I originally looked into after reading something about some new super-hardest ceramic material where they brought up Titainum nitride which I looked into more.

And RJ, gold is far from the softest metal. Plenty of them are malleable by hand, but gold is the most malleable metal.

RickB

I have a "gold", titanium nitrided folding knife, and it still looks new, after five-plus years of carrying/cutting. For gold gun accents, that would certainly seem to be a better bet than actual gold.

alex0535

And your TiN coated gun will probably be really durable. Good luck finding someone to coat it. I am sure there is someone out there than will do it for you though.

Holster Wear? I wouldn't expect it ever.

Last edited:

Rainbow Demon

I have some gold colored titanium plated drill bits, the plating seems to hold up well on those.

The Romans once used a metal called "Electrum" as a substitute for gold in coins.
Little was known about this alloy and it became the subject of myth and legend.

I believe the alloy has been analysed in recent years.
Electrum might be good for a durable gold like plating.

RickB

Good luck finding someone to coat it. I am sure there is someone out there than will do it for you though.

Doug's Gunsmith Shop
For shooters looking to have polished gold accents, i.e. triggers, trigger components, trigger housings, screws, pins, and receivers!; a much more durable finish is achieved by titanium nitriding your parts. You’ll have the look and shine of gold, without the worry of the gold plating you may have now, wearing off or peeling.

mete

Search for news items about people like Saddam Husssan ,Those types usually had a collection of gold plated guns of all kinds.I don't know how durable they are. But they are stunning.zI remember a photo of an MP-5 with ruby sights etc.

ScottRiqui

These are two that are in the lobby of the Defense Intelligence Agency. They belonged to Saddam Hussein. They're impressive in person, in a gaudy, tacky, overdone kind of way. :D

Inside-the-Defense-Intelligence-Agency-in-Washington-D.C.-a-gold-AK-47-assault-rifle-and-sniper-rifle-that-once-belonged-to-former-Iraq-President-Saddam-Hussein-sit-in-a-display-case-on-Thursday-September-29-2011.-AP-PhotoC-650x412.jpg