Going to give a .380 a try

kmw1954

Have two that are not pocket guns. Witness Pavona and S&W EZ. Just shot both yesterday with some new cast loads I just started with. These cast lead loads are costing me about 4cents ea. Make for great cheap practice shooting.

OhioGuy

I had the same thoughts, twice. I owned a S&W Bodyguard for a time. Practiced a lot, couldn't get used to such a tiny gun and never could shoot it well. Even more, I never could draw it well from concealment and was prone to fumbling it given its tiny size, so I sold it.

About 6 months ago I got into the idea of pocket carry, which I hadn't tried before. Picked up a Beretta Pico for $210 online, nice and well made little gun, even smaller than the Bodyguard! I could shoot it better, owing mainly to better sights and a very nice trigger, but I still wasn't crazy about it. I quickly discovered I could not realistically carry it in the kinds of pockets I have, and that it was uncomfortable for me, although it's super easy to conceal in something like a smart carry holster.

Still, I've decided to sell it (want it? :)) and will pick up a used J-frame revolver. Much larger than a .380 pocket gun, not much smaller than the 9mm Walther PPS I usually carry, but easier to conceal deep under tucked-in clothes because the revolver's grip is easier to reach when it's down under the belt line. I can shoot the snubbie much better than I can any pocket gun. And that's saying something!

Plus, revolvers are cool. Did Wild Bill Hickok carry a Glock? Of course not. Cuz he was too cool for one. :cool:

tarhealcracker

I too have a Pico and as good as it is (and that's quite good) it's not a pocket gun, given the kind of clothes I wear. This is sub tropical Florida. No jackets or vests for daily wear. That applies to all the other so called pocket guns too.

The problem for me is comfort and accessibility. They just put a lump in your pocket that you can't sit on, that pulls your pants out of the comfort zone and you can't deploy in any kind of fluid quick way. So what happens? You end up with an IWB or OWB holster. And then you discover that since you have a holster you might as well carry your Walther, Bersa Thunder or Thunder cc which conceal just as well.

I really like my Pico and I'm going to keep it but it's really really happy home ------- the ash trey of my car.

Lohman446

My wife has the P238, and i have the Kimber Micro . Both are outstanding shooters and conceal very well. My micro is just a tad lighter than our p238. Felt recoil they both feel identical. Accuracy is also identical between the two. The P238 will have a slide locking thumb safety, the Kimber's identical thumb safety only locks the trigger and does not lock the slide. The Kimber fits my hand slightly better than the P238. I give a solid plug for either.

I like how the Kimber continues to me "mine" and the P238 goes from being the wife's to being "our"

Road_Clam

Lohman446 said:
. like how the Kimber continues to me "mine" and the P238 goes from being the wife's to being "our"

When i pay for it and purchased it specifically for me, it's "mine". When i pay for it and purchsed it specifically for her it's "ours" ;)

TailGator

The P238 will have a slide locking thumb safety, the Kimber's identical thumb safety only locks the trigger and does not lock the slide.

The slide on my P238s can be manipulated with the safety on.

Road_Clam

TailGator said:
. The slide on my P238s can be manipulated with the safety on.

Sorry for the incorrect info on the p238 safety, you are correct the slide doesnt lock i thought it did. I dont carry my wifes 238.