Going to buy a 1911

Johnc

I decided recently to add a 1911 to my collection. This gun will NOT be a carry gun. That roll is filled. This will be a "because" gun. Because I want it. That being said, I am trying to decide between a few brands. Taurus is on the table. They have a fairly feature packed 1911. They are also offering $75.00 rebates on them. Rock Island Armory is on the table. Norinco would be if there were any to be had. I am not looking to blow the budget on this 1911. As I said it will never be carried. Additionally, it will not be fully tricked out to a race gun, that roll is also filled too. I like the Springfield's, I just don't want to get up that high in price.

Am I neglecting any options?

NGIB

Depends. If you're talking new and you want to stay in the 500-650 range then yes. I have never bought a new one myself and a used Springer Loaded can be had in this range if you're quick and lucky.

I've had 2 Taurii 1911s and no complaints but I prefer the Springers...

Skans

Check out the Taurus PT1911. All forged and seems to be nicely made. I wouldn't mind having one for a shooter.

Sturmgewehre

Did anyone read the OP's posts before responding?

He clearly said he doesn't want to spend the money on a SA Loaded. With that in mind he probably won't be looking at Colt or Taurus pistols.

PT1911's used to be cheap, but they now sell in the same range as SA's and other higher end 1911.

With that being said, I hear good things about RIA 1911's. I would give one a shot and see how it goes. You can't beat the price.

JWT

Look around for a good clean used Colt. Should be able to find something very nice in the $500 - $600 range and perhaps less than that.

PeterGunn

Oh my goodness... the S&W sw1911 should be in the top three along with Springer and Dan Wesson.

the sw1911 is their baseline 1911, but the unit is loaded with the features you would expect from a quality maker. The gun is made in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty with a top notch CS dept.

I went through the same process a few years. I landed on the S&W and have never looked back. By the way, I carry the sw1911 now CCW...

BigJimP

I don't know what caliber you are looking for in your 1911 - but honestly, rather than any of the options you listed - I would suggest you look for a good clean used Springfield or Colt. I think you'll be a lot happier with either of those guns - that you ones you list.

In 1911's - unfortunately you get what you pay for / and under $ 900 for a new gun, there isn't much out there worth owning long term in my opinion. I'm not saying price is the only indication either - some of the semi-custom guns are a waste of money in my view / but you have to ask yourself if many of the high quality guns are in the $ 2,500 range / what does buying a new gun under $ 600 get me / what are the compromises ? I will tell you it is not just cosmetic - its in the quality of the parts, the barrel, the trigger as well as the fit and finish. In my opinion Wilson Combat makes the finest 1911's out there / but Springfield is doing a very good job as well on the lower end of the pricing / and I've seen a number of older Colts in .45 acp and 9mm around $ 600 - $800 lately.

Semi-jacketed

Obviously, from the three name brands you listed, you're looking for a "budget" 1911. As said by a previous poster, Taurus 1911s used to be cheap for what they offered, not anymore. In any event from the ones you have decided upon the Norinco is the best of the bunch in terms of quality of materials with the internals only being, uh, "moderately" good, but the frame and slide are outstanding. The internals on the others are about the same with nowhere near the quality in the frame, slide and even the barrel (though they aren't that great, but they aren't as bad as others in the same price range). When the internals break, replace them with Wilson or Ed Brown parts and you'll have an excellent piece for a very long time.

Jason_G

Oh my goodness... the S&W sw1911 should be in the top three along with Springer and Dan Wesson.
I get the feelin' he's looking to spend a little less than that, but I may be wrong...

Jason

Old Gaffer

Buy the Taurus

I bought a used PT1911 for $450 with four magazines. I had a national match bushing installed, the slide tightened, and a bit of touch up on the trigger while I was getting the slide drilled and tapped for a mount.

The gun is flawless with either 230 gr factory loads or my own 200 gr LSWC and 4.0 gr of bullseye powder.

It was one of my best ever gun purchases, and I'm not looking back at all.

All the best,
Rob

awpk03s

What are you guys seeing Taurus PT1911s sell for these days that is no longer cheap? Around here blued models are $500-550, and I just bought a stainless one for $619 - throw in the $75 rebate and it's not a bad deal if you ask me.

payback48

A friend of mine bought a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 38 Super recently. I was very impressed with it. The whole gun was tight and shot excellently. He also bought a vintage Colt 1911 in 38 Super and the RIA was way more accurate.

bigghoss

springfield mil-spec or a used colt 1991a1 if you don't mind the spur hammer. if you really want a commander hammer and extended beavertail then I'd look at a RIA tactical