Glock's new 22

OhioGuy

And the choir of angels sang.... "Meh."

I don't subscribe to the .22 training philosophy anymore. I get more value from a laser training cartridge in my centerfire gun and dry firing. I have a PPQ .22 that sits mostly unused. I may sell it and buy more 9mm ammo with the money.

9x19

The magazine capacity doesn't bother me, but it will have to offer something for me to replace my Advantage Arms conversion kits (both with dedicated Glock frames (17 & 19).

sigarms228

I've read the starting price will be around $400. I think I'd rather go with a Taurus TX22 with 16 rd mags at $250ish.
No interest on any Taurus. Plenty of problems with the TX22 and horrendous barrel quality leading to insane levels of leading and very poor accuracy and Taurus just sends the owner another crappy barrel as a replacement when they finally get around to it. Also reports of significant slide wear issues.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/taurus-tx22.847391/page-2

Areoflyer09

Double-stack is unreliable? Is that the assumption?

Someone forgot to tell Kel-Tec. They have a quad-stack that's about 97% reliable ... which is about par for the course (or better) with single-stack .22 LRs across the market. I'd say it works just fine.

Fire up your googlers. Mash that keyboard. And take a gander at the Kel-Tec CP33.
Would this be the same CP33 that has to have the mags loaded just right so they don’t rim lock? To the point where reviewers are mentioning the loading procedure in their reviews and even Kel-Tec notes that loading the mags are different than other pistols and gives instructions.

Thanks, but I’d rather deal with changing mags. 10rd single stack mags are quick and easy to load.

HighValleyRanch

If the whole point of a duplicate .22 glock is for training (which it is of course, not being a target .22), then having to change mags more often is a good thing!

FrankenMauser

Would this be the same CP33 that has to have the mags loaded just right so they don’t rim lock?
Like all rimmed cartridges and any other box/stack type .22 LR magazine? Yea, that one. :rolleyes:

If you don't load a single-stack magazine properly, you can rim lock them, too.

Fishbed77

I'm sure the fanboys will buy a million of them, but They don't impress me.

Despite your excitement, if your assessment is true, it sounds like a sound business decision for Glock.

I agree though, that without 15 round magazines, the whole "training" marketing point is not valid.

TunnelRat

Despite your excitement, if your assessment is true, it sounds like a sound business decision for Glock.

I agree though, that without 15 round magazines, the whole "training" marketing point is not valid.

I disagree to a point. When I've done training courses sometimes I don't always have time to fully top off my magazines, or sometimes it's near the end of the day and I am getting low on ammo. The point is not every magazine I fire is loaded to the full extent, and when I do that I don't feel the repetitions are no longer valid for training. Ideally I'd do a tactical reload before running out anyway, and if I run out sooner then I just end up practicing more emergency reloads. There is a point at which you can ingrain behaviors and expectations in terms of knowing your round counts explicitly, but whether you'll be able to keep track of that in an actual defensive shooting might be another question.

While I could completely understand someone wanting more capacity, it wouldn't personally change how I view this as a training tool. There are already other differences that I see as more significant than capacity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Spats McGee said:
So now we have a Glock .22LR, the same size as a G19, but only holding 10 rounds. That last part is the one that puzzles me. I've often thought that a .22LR Glock would make for a decent training tool. But 10 rounds? I'd hoped for 15, just like the G19.
Several of the most populous states have 10-round magazine limits. By only offering this model with a 10-round magazine, Glock can sell the same gun in every state, with no need to maintain dual inventories and dual SKUs to account for the vagaries of politics.

By contrast, Armscor released their .22 Magnum 1911 variant with a 15-round magazine, and no 10-round option. This means their shiny new toy can't be sold in at least a half dozen states.

Elliottsdad

A 10 round trainer. For $400. What a "LEGENDARY" announcement. LOL.
Jesus, Glock has become a running joke.
No 10mm, no PCC, no 5.7 pistol: absolutely nothing new, exciting, or "legendary."
But its Glock, still stuck in the mid 90's. I guess I'm not surprised.

TunnelRat

A 10 round trainer. For $400. What a "LEGENDARY" announcement. LOL.

Jesus, Glock has become a running joke.

No 10mm, no PCC, no 5.7 pistol: absolutely nothing new, exciting, or "legendary."

But its Glock, still stuck in the mid 90's. I guess I'm not surprised.

Tbh, a 5.7 pistol is pretty far from new, exciting, or legendary for me.

I will say though that when I watched the announcement I did think to myself that a few decades ago this might have seemed more exciting.

Last edited:

Brownstone322

While I could completely understand someone wanting more capacity, it wouldn't personally change how I view this as a training tool. There are already other differences that I see as more significant than capacity.

I'm with you.

I enjoy taking pure, never-handled-a-gun-before beginners to the range (usually women, but not necessarily so), and capacity really isn't much of a factor in that situation, not when the new shooter is already facing near overload trying to cope with basic safety, stance, grip, sight alignment and trigger press. (A .22 LR addresses all of this, everything other than recoil management.)

In fact, for a beginner, pausing after 10 rounds to stop and think about the overall experience is actually a good thing, in my mind. Plus, dropping a mag, inserting a new one and charging the gun (all while keeping the muzzle pointed downrange) is one of the things I want them to practice.

That's exactly what I want a .22 auto for, and it's gonna be either this new Glock or the S&W M&P22 Compact.

Crankylove

Solid meh from me.

Glock 42/43 sized, I might, maybe, sorta be interested, but not in a full-size pistol. Never been a big Glock guy to start with, and this does nothing to excite me.

Fishbed77

Perhaps, but with Glock clearly making an effort to highlight the similarities to the 19 in terms of size, feel, form factor, and parts compatibility, the capacity issue does seem particularly glaring to this observer.

TunnelRat

Perhaps, but with Glock clearly making an effort to highlight the similarities to the 19 in terms of size, feel, form factor, and parts compatibility, the capacity issue does seem particularly glaring to this observer.
To me pointing out similarities to a pistol that is likely their most popular model is pretty logical. I don't doubt that a good chunk of the marketing is about training with it in relation to say the G19, but there are other reasons people like that form factor too.

sigarms228

I believe the very highly regarded CZ Kadet pistol and kit both have 10 round magazine capacity also. CZ must have found a compelling reason to do that along with Ruger, Browning, SIG conversion kits, and others.

IMO Glock was smart using a 10 round magazine in that tens of millions of firearm owners now live in states with magazine capacity restrictions. Glock may or third party suppliers come out with higher capacity magazines in the future. If Glock leaves it to third party suppliers and problems happen it is not Glock's problem to deal with.

zoo

I think it would have been smarter to make a capable 15 capacity .22 glock and ship it with 10 round mags if need be.

As it is, at least for me, there is no reason for me to get rid of even my Ruger mark III and pick up the .22 Glock.

Cheapshooter

So now we have a Glock .22LR, the same size as a G19, but only holding 10 rounds. That last part is the one that puzzles me.
You would think they would learn something from Taurus, and the 16+1 capacity of t he TX22.

Elliottsdad

There was a time when Glock was an innovative company.
For any of the boomers not yet "in the know": for the past two days, the internet firearms community on Instagram and Facebook has been on FIRE with memes about how much Glock blew this one.
It would be pretty funny stuff, if it wasn't so damn true.