Glock's new 22

Bill DeShivs

Sorry, I deleted the link after I read it.
Glock has come out with a .22 pistol that is the same size as one of their other guns. It might make a decent trainer.
I'm sure the fanboys will buy a million of them, but They don't impress me.

Spats McGee

Administrator
And a link to the pistol itself: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g44

So now we have a Glock .22LR, the same size as a G19, but only holding 10 rounds. That last part is the one that puzzles me. I've often thought that a .22LR Glock would make for a decent training tool. But 10 rounds? I'd hoped for 15, just like the G19.

TunnelRat

I heard in James' video review for TFB that there is a rumor of a 15 shot magazine. Certainly would be nice to have something more.

https://youtu.be/RPI-1mIYlbk

I laughed when I watched the announcement live, at the mic issues, the lifestyle marketing that I see a bunch from SIG as well, and the hype over the release of a 22LR pistol. I own a number of Glocks. Heck I just bought a second Gen 5 G19 MOS to host an RMR as I go down that path. I imagine I'm a fanboy. I just don't care about this. I already have 22s. Yes they're not the exact same size and shape as my Glocks, but the manual of operations isn't so radically different that my brain explodes when I go back and forth.

I am not much into the 22LR trainer concept other than to go over the mechanics of shooting. I've seen plenty of people be great with a 22LR and then stink when they step up to a centerfire cartridge. Recoil and blast are something that have to be learned and mitigated. I do still bring out the Ruger to practice those mechanics, but I don't really consider it a "trainer". Frankly you could use an air pistol for the pure mechanics and not have a number of legal concerns in terms of where you shoot. Weapon manipulation alone I can already get with dry fire and related drills.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Brownstone322

The .22 LRs I know of (and I don't claim to know them all), are hammer-fired, even if you can't see or manipulate the hammer (like an S&W M&P22).

So is this thing gonna be striker-fired? Is there such a thing as striker-fired rimfire? Would Glock use an internal hammer?

AK103K

I am not much into the 22LR trainer concept other than to go over the mechanics of shooting. I've seen plenty of people be great with a 22LR and then stink when they step up to a centerfire cartridge. Recoil and blast are something that have to be learned and mitigated. I do still bring out the Ruger to practice those mechanics, but I don't really consider it a "trainer". Frankly you could use an air pistol for the pure mechanics and not have a number of legal concerns in terms of where you shoot. Weapon manipulation alone I can already get with dry fire and related drills.

I feel the same way. If I do get one, its probably more for the novelty than anything else.

Most .22's come with 10 round mags anyway, so I dont see the big deal. You know that the aftermarket will pick up the slack anyway, and Im sure Glock will offer higher capacity mags as an extra anyway. Thats just smart marketing.

TunnelRat

I'm not.

I would guestimate Glock will sell an overwhelming number.

Look for price drops on S&W/Browning/Ruger/etc. .22's
Whether or not something sells a lot doesn't mean a person is or isn't underwhelmed. A lot of firearms sell that I don't care about.

An lgs owner I was talking to today was also underwhelmed, but he also thought he'd sell quite a few. Sort of depends on the audience.

sigarms228

From what I see so far I like it. My Gen 2 Glock 19 is my favorite striker fired pistol and my main CCW pistol. I will probably will buy one if I like shooting it and expect I will. I like that it comes with the back straps too. Makes sense to me that Glock designed it to be essentially a 22 copy of the Glock 19 which is one of the best selling pistols in the world. Though I have not read confirmation it appears that it probably will fit Glock 19 holsters.

I own a M&P 22 Compact which is a fun and reliable pistol to shoot but a little small for my hands though I bought it for my wife hoping to get her interested in shooting. My Buckmark Camper stainless is my favorite .22 pistol but sometimes I just like shooting a combat style .22 pistol too.

I am sure my LGS will have a Glock 44 for rent at their range probably as soon as they get in some Glock 44 pistols.

MikeG

As said, the G44 may make a good trainer for a G19 or so.

They may have set the magazine capacity at 10 for the states that superstitiously believe that that many rounds are okay, but somehow the 11th and subsequent ones are evil.

They may be intended to compete with and/or replace the .22 conversion kits. Some I've seen have cost nearly as much as the MSRP for the G44 ($300) and might be more reliable without swapping parts all the time.

I don't know, but how reliable are conversions anyway?
I sort of like this thing, but I'm not a fanboy.

Siggy-06

I've read the starting price will be around $400. I think I'd rather go with a Taurus TX22 with 16 rd mags at $250ish.

Brownstone322

OK, how many rounds is it supposed to have with rimmed cartridges? How many rounds would actually fit with a single-stack mag in a G19-sized grip? Or do people actually expect it to be double-stack?

dyl

OK, how many rounds is it supposed to have with rimmed cartridges?

Well, since the Taurus Tx-22 which vaguely resembles a Glock (squared off front and underside of trigger guard, slight undercut) can get 16 rounds in there, I'd say one option would have been to make one that hold 16 rounds. But that might not be the wisest choice financially.

They can make higher capacity mags later. The 10 rounders will be good for mag restricted states, so people from every state can have them. Word will get out how good it is. People will buy spare 10 round mags because 10 rounds goes pretty fast! Then when we least expect it, "POW!" a new legendary higher capacity magazine will be announced. Kind of like when we thought the Glock 42 was as good/small as it gets, here comes the Glock 43!

Because if they released higher capacity magazines first (or both at the same time), a lot fewer people would go back and purchase 10 rounders. Only the people that had to. More sales, more things to put in the news.

FrankenMauser

Or do people actually expect it to be double-stack?
Double-stack is unreliable? Is that the assumption?

Someone forgot to tell Kel-Tec. They have a quad-stack that's about 97% reliable ... which is about par for the course (or better) with single-stack .22 LRs across the market. I'd say it works just fine.

Fire up your googlers. Mash that keyboard. And take a gander at the Kel-Tec CP33.