Glocks and ammo?

reynolds357

I have shot Glocks since they were in U.S.
I paid $274 new for my first one, new in box. In Gen 1 and Gen 2, I have or have had 17,19,20,21,22,23,23,27,and 34. Shot tens of thousands of rounds collectively through them. They are/were like an AK-47, shoot anything you feed them no matter how nasty they were. I have a gen5 23 that is the same way, always runs any ammo.
Now I recently bought a 19x and a 43x. 115 and 124 ammo FTE and FTF is common. At least one every other mag. Ball or hollow point both perform the same. (Factory loaded ammo, Win, Rem, Monarch, Federal) Both pistols will run +p ammo flawlessly.
I used to be my dept armorer, and have built custom Glocks as well as serviced our departments Glocks. I know how to fix the problem, lighter main spring or shoot +p. Since they are carry and not range weapons, +p will probably be my solution. I was just wondering if this is common on the new 9mm GLOCKS,? IS IT SOMETHING WITH THE X series? Did I just happen to get two problem pistols in a row?
(With the Gen 1 and 2, if you saw this, it was ALWAYS due to limp wristing. I am definitely not limp wristing them.)

Willie Lowman

I have 2 gen 5 Glocks and a gen 3 26 that I have carried for years. None of them are X series guns. All mine will shoot anything I put in them.

I honestly have never heard of them doing this.

Rob228

I had some feeding issues with steel cased 9mm in a 19, but it was filthy ammo and I was using Pmags, worked fine out of Glock brand mags. Have never heard of that kind of issue out of anything Glock.

highpower3006

I have a G48, which has the same grip length as a 43X and have had no issues with it. Maybe because the slide has slightly more mass than the shorter 43? I usually shoot 115 grain ammo through it for practice.

I will say that all my other Glocks from my Gen1 and 2 G17's up through my Gen3 G19 have been boringly reliable to the point that I always assume they will go bang when you pull the trigger.

kilotanker22

I have owned dozens of Glocks. I also own a 19x, and a 43x. I have never had a single FTE, or FTF with either of them. I have everything from standard lower pressure ball ammo, to heavier +p ammo in both. Never any sort of feeding, extraction, or ejection issues.

I only use Glock mags in my Glock guns. I have tried the 15 round mags in my 43x, but did have some issues with feeding. Those issues worked themselves out.

jmr40

I have a G43 and several G19's. None have ever failed to work at any time with any ammo. This ain't right, call Glock about returning them for service.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Agree. Even if you don't want to send them back for examination/remedial work, I think Glock will want to know about this.

Cyanide971

All of my current Glocks are Gen 5’s and have had no issues, regardless if standard pressure ammo, be it brass, aluminum, or steel case (19, 26, and 45).

eflyguy

I would definitely call and ask. I believe feed problems in pistols are more often associated with magazine issues, but I am no expert.

In all my years shooting (we have several Glocks) I've only ever had one FTF and it was in my USPSA match pistol (XD). The magazines get abused pretty good, dropping them between targets onto cement floors or into the dirt with ammo in them. I did not number them at the time and have not been able to replicate the issue since.

Bobne

I have a new Glock 48. It shoots 115gr fine but jambs on 147gr. The same 147gr shoots fine in a Keltec P11. I can’t figure out the problem.

Shadow9mm

I heard gen 4s had this problem when they first came out with the dual recoil spring system, but they fixed it. I have a gen 5 19 and it has fed everything I put through it without issue.

how many rounds do you have through them? 50? 100? I would say run at least 100 through each if you can, see if it settles down. if not contact glock.

reynolds357

The 43x is definitely due to heavy recoil spring. Got someone else to shoot it today at lunch. 30shots. With 115 monarch, 6Fte, 2 ftf. I know he limp wrists. What really proved my spring theory was watching the brass eject. It would fly about 4 inches up, less than 10 inches out, and pile up beside his foot.

147+p, app 4 ft above pistol, 10feet to side of pistol, brass scattered everywhere, no fte, no ftf.

reynolds357

Well, I cured my 43x. I ordered a lower powered spring and shield 15 round mags. Tried mags first. To my surprise, pistol shoots everything, even my low power match handloads. That should not have cured problem, but it did. Now I have an extra spring and guide rod I will put in my spare parts bag.

Jim Watson

I heard gen 4s had this problem when they first came out with the dual recoil spring system, but they fixed it.

I did too. I think they were putting the same springs in 9mm as .40 which was not right.
It is my opinion that the dual spring stack was a fix for .40s in the first place, I have not heard of any weakness or short life for the original flat wire 9mm spring.

reynolds357

I did too. I think they were putting the same springs in 9mm as .40 which was not right.
It is my opinion that the dual spring stack was a fix for .40s in the first place, I have not heard of any weakness or short life for the original flat wire 9mm spring.
I was kind of surprised G went to dual spring. When I went to armorer class (still Gen 1 days), they touted the single spring and polymer guide rod as a "key to Glock reliability.