Glocks and 1911s the most popular pistols in America

mathman

I'm beginning to like Glocks more and more...and I'm even warming up to the 9mm cartridge.

In terms of 1911s, I find myself more drawn to the original GI 1911s from the WWII era...boy, you talk about guns that are tough and worked when the trigger is pulled...it doesn't get much better than that in the 1911 world.

domininance

In short, most of the handguns we discuss day to day are far more capable than we give them credit for.

well put, IanS. as a musician i think of the analogy of a cheap instrument playing beautiful music in the right hands versus the finest instrument ever made being played by a beginner.

dec41971

Walther P22 .22LR for plinking, cheap loads of fun
9mm fullsize PX4 Storm Berretta just love it, but too big for CCW
1911 .45 3" Barrell and all. Nice piece. Smooth like butter, surprisingly my most accurate gun, and nasty little hand cannon. What more can I say, love them all for what they are.:D
I go to the range atleast once a week. Shoot a lot and enjoy it. At that rate, with a .45 it gets very expensive fast. Thats where the P22 comes in.

Oldjarhead

I own both a Glock and a 1911. I think they are both fine pistols. I think you ought to throw Sig Sauer in the mix as well.

J.Netto

To me, the single action is like the manual transmission of the firearms world.

People who say:
"I want to be able to just pull the trigger and have it go bang."
sound just like people who say:

"I want to just hit the gas and have the car go, I don't want to mess with shifting gears."

In that line of thinking, Glocks are more of a mass produced fleet vehicle, like a Chevy Impala or Ford Crown Vic. They run great for lots of miles, but if you're really into cars, it's hard to enjoy the driving experience. Their design was catered to uninterrupted function rather than excellent balance and feel.

Maybe others don't see this parallel, but I do. I started modifying cars early with a CJ7, suspension, engine swap, etc. Then later I got into DSMs and started upgrading turbos, injectors, etc and making those faster. I think people who like to tinker are drawn to 1911s like I was.

Even so, it's nice to have a bone-stock reliable vehicle to drive your kids to school or take on a long road trip. I think that's why Glocks make good duty guns, they get the job done even if they aren't as sexy.

To each his own, personally I like tinkering with 1911s and don't mind the added "complexity" to operating them. To me, the "driving experience" makes it all worthwhile.

I think that is one of the best explanations or opinions I have ever read about why Glocks and 1911's are great firearms. I couldn't have summed it up any better.