Glock VS 1911 - Which is better for personal defense ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brunner

The self-disassembly can be the result of resting your trigger finger on that handy little lump on the side of the frame.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Mikey

Joe Paige,

Just one of my "things" I guess. If I carry the 1911 all day and leave it cocked and locked all night, the springs never get a break. But I'm not sure that's really it - I think I just have a "thing" about it. Besides, my wife shoots the Glock better than any 1911 and I've got the Glock and I have to do something with it and...and...it holds more ammo...yeah that's it, more ammo!

Rob Pincus

Inherent in Mikey's last post in the crux of this debate. It is just a "thing."
Both weapons have advantages and disadvantages inherent to them. In a world without one, the other would suit us just fine. In a world with both, we have something to talk about.
God forbid you go over to the car enthusiast board and post "Which is better for stoplight drag races, a mustang or a camaro?" you'll get this same type of discussion thread, even though everyone knows that Mustangs are much better.
This thread exists as a tribute to both weapons. You'll never see a legitmate discussion like this arguing the merits of Bersa VS Llama.

You are also not likely to see very many legitimate cries of "Sigs and HKs Suck!!."

John Browning and Gaston Glock were both great innovators and will be remembered as members of the handgun elite by our offspring for generations to come. Let's just hope that they don't have to go to a gov't controlled museum to see an example of their work.

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 11-16-98).]

o1paw

First let me say that I'm a firm believer in the 45acp, and that my current CCW selection is a 1911. I chose the 1911 because I have yet to find a weapon that fits better in my hand, and one that I can shoot as accurately and quickly under pressure. I've trained enough to be very good with it. I really dont care too much (at all, really) for glocks. I dont like the grip angle on them (too severe) I dont like their blocky feel, and I dont like their triggers. Having said that, however, I have no animosity towards the weapon themselves or the people who shoot them. Glock does make a durable weapon at an affordable price, and I'm glad that alot of folks buy and shoot them, simply because it swells our ranks as shooters(we need all we can get). Is the glock the end-all of handguns? Hardly, at least not for me. To all you glock shooters out there all I can say is KEEP SHOOTING! We all have too much in common to bicker over such trivial things. I might also add that I'm not a 1911 "fanatic". Although my carry gun is a 1911, my house gun is a Sig P-220(dont like cocked-and-locked at 0-dark-30 in the middle of a bad dream, if you know what I mean. Everything has its place)
Take care and shoot straight,
01paw

Ed Brunner

There is only one answer Shoot whichever one you are better with.For me that is the 1911. My hand and my brain recognize it and understand it.I really dont have to think about it-and that is of paramount importance if I have to jump up from my sleep and repel intruders or whatever.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

longhair

I too like the 1911. I've spent alot of time practicing with it and am comfortable with it. Shot my brother-in-laws Glock, and it just seemed strange to me. i reckon though, if i spent as much time with it as the 1911
i might get used to it. guess i'll just stick with the 1911. but to each his own! :)

------------------
fiat justitia

Michael Carlin

For most people Glock.

If you have to ask: Glock

If you are in court after the shooting is over: Glock

If you are very, very well trained, and practice regularly, maybe 1911.

I earned 28 of my Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge's required 30 points with a 1911 in .45 acp.

I carry a Glock.

my opinion!

my experience:

27 years in US Army, Bullseye, USPSA and International military competitions with both rifle and pistol.

Program of Instruction Development and Instructor: Fort McCoy Light Fighter Academy from stand up in 1987 to 1989

Conducted pistol qualification/remdial training for 6500 soldiers who deployed to Operation Desert Storm.

US Army Distinguished Pistol Shot 1995
(see my web page Distinguished? What's It Mean at http://www.1bigred.com/distinguished)

NONE of the above means jack ****

see question 2 above: GLOCK!

yours in marksmanship

michael

Hal

Heh, My reply is redundant. Whatever works best for you is the best. Chances are the rest of us won't be there to advise you when you have to bet your life on somebody else's preference. If/when that happens, then whatever works for someone else will not mean squat if you can't use it. For myself, the answer is none of the above. For others it may be all of the above. I prefer a Smith and Wesson Model 19, but I feel comfortable with either my Browning Hi-Power or my Colt Commander, in that order. I've never shot a Glock so I can't say as yet if I would feel better with one or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.