Glock reliability with tac light

mrgoodwrench76

Anybody have any evidence to back up these "silly speculations" and nonsense? Then only information I could find was streamlight blaming the mag. I have personally put thousands of rounds through a 17 with various rounds and have never had a failure. Of course I couldn't duplicate the 'limp wrist' nonsense either so maybe my gun is just special :D.

robrob

From Streamlight website:
Q: Are there Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols?
A: Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions,

Streamlight would not publicize this if it were not a very real concern and they say it's specific to the .40 caliber.

As for the "limp wrist nonsense" it's related to the same effect caused by mounting a suppressor on a recoil operated semi-auto pistol. Unless the suppressor has a special device on it the semi-auto will not cycle.

Onward Allusion

trustygun25
Glock reliability with tac light
Im thinking about putting a tac light on one of my Glocks for home defence and i have heard of a few storys of polymer frame guns not being as realiable with lights on them, can any shed some light on this? no pun intended lol

I've experienced this anomaly first hand. Pistol runs fine w/o the light so I keep the light off. Fortunately I have other SD weapons that run fine with my Streamlights. I think it may throw the balance off or it may be magnifying my issue with limp-wristing on the particular pistol.

JohnKSa

Administrator
One good lesson to take away from this is to practice with your home defense gun configured EXACTLY as you normally have it set up.

Practice with the same ammunition. Practice with a light in place if you use a light. Practice with a separate light if that's how you plan to defend your home. Practice with high capacity magazines if that's how you normally have your gun loaded instead of using your 10 rounders at the range. If you leave your gun chamber empty then practice starting with the chamber empty each time you begin a shot string when you practice at the range. If you have a gun with a safety then practice disengaging the safety EACH time you bring the gun up to fire. If you keep your gun in a case then practice taking the gun out of the case.

NEVER assume that a gun will be reliable in a particular situation or configuration until you've tested it under the same circumstances--or at least as close as you can get.

Little things can bite you if you're not careful. This thread is one example, another that I have personally encountered is using the Hogue slip-on grips with an H&K USP. If the slip-on grip slips too far up on the pistol grip frame then it can slide under the magazine release and prevent the shooter from dropping the magazine. That's the kind of thing you want to discover at the range and not during a self-defense encounter.

bakon

My gen2 model 23 jams a round or two or three for every 13 in the clip. Totally unreliable for duty use with a light. Thousands of rounds without trouble without a light. I have a Streamlight TLR-2s for a paper weight.