Glock G20 or G40 as a woods gun?

HiBC

agtman,do Glocks still come with polygon barrels?
If so,they are not suitable for hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo. See the Hickok 45 vids.
Lone Wolf is an option.

agtman

agtman,do Glocks still come with polygon barrels?
If so,they are not suitable for hard cast Buffalo Bore ammo. See the Hickok 45 vids.
Lone Wolf is an option.

Yes, they still use polygonal rifling. And yes, LWD is one option among several aftermarket barrel makers. KKM is another. Bar-Sto makes, or made, tubes for Glocks as well. Long ago I bought one for my G29 that had to be hand-fitted. I got it for the tighter chamber tolerances in order to shoot maxed-out handloads.

However, I've found the Glock barrels will handle some 'minor' amount of the hot HC loads. You just have to clean them more frequently. Your 10mm Glock will survive a 15-rd magazine or two firing the hot BB/DT/UW 'bear defense' HC ammo. Again, just clean it right away afterwards.

Likely nobody taking a 10mm Glock into the AK boonies is going to fire through more than 2 mags anyway (30-rds) to stop or turn a bruin's charge.

The best way to handle HC loads in Glock factory barrels is to handload the polycoated types, which is what I use exclusively in my Glock 40. SNS Casting offers a variety of weights in 10mm polycoated HC boolits, and I feed my G40 the 220gn FPs. I can get those to about 1250fps. They work and you won't be breaking the bank stocking your reloading bench with them.

Obligatory linky: http://www.snscasting.com/40-s-w-10mm/

The twin benefit of the coating is (1) there's no lead build-up in the barrel, and (2) the coating imparts a 'slickness' to the slug that makes for easy feeding up the ramp.

Last edited:

wild cat mccane

If those screaming rounds are hollow points, I'd love to see one shot through gel to see what happens to the bullet. At some level of FPS every hollow point becomes frangible. Even Golden Sabers in the lonely 380 have been shown to break up when loaded hot. I said XTP is the only hollow point in 10mm worth the FPS because it won't break up by design. Even that might not be true when reaching 1500fps? I did also say the boutique loaders loading with Gold Dots at hot levels might not be that great of a round.

I'm reading that the avg 9mm FMJ goes anywhere from 24-40" in ballistic gel. Just good info to have. All three boutique hot roaders (DD, BB, UW) sell a "wood" 9mm. All are 147gr flat. Since the meplat/truncated nose doesn't do anything until large caliber, I would think a hot 124gr would do better for the increased fps. (truncated rounds only crush more in large calibers http://www.gsgroup.co.za/articlepvdw.html). It's not the fact they sell it that tells me 9mm could do fine, it's that the difference in 10mm is more hyped than supported.

Think about it. Nuclear Fiocchi or 124gr 9mm is 1250fps. Hottest 9mm 115gr Carbon at 1350fps.

We have a load in 10mm that was just questioned at 165gr at almost 1500fps.

I'm not saying there isn't a difference. I would ask what you are hitting with that where it will make a difference. Additionally, hitting with a bullet that isn't designed for 1500fps at a massive 6" barrel, might as well buy frangible rounds for hunting-which no one would suggest.

I've ask before and never got a real reason for why red dots come one long barrel guns (unlike the new MOS Walther PPS). Red dots, you would think by their function, aren't doing anything on a longer barrel. Unless it's competition and power factors are at play?

Last edited:

jr24

Though I appreciate the balance of the G20 over the 40 (much like I prefer commander 1911s) for a woods gun, were it my money I'd get the 40. Mostly so it'd be legal for hunting in my state.

OP made a good choice I think, and got a great deal!

My favored woods load is 200 grain Hornady XTP @ around 1200 fps. XTPs dont expand a ton, but they hold together and penetrate well, which is good for woods work.

Basically try to emulate this

https://www.underwoodammo.com/colle...p-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865916686393

jr24

I've ask before and never got a real reason for why red dots come one long barrel guns (unlike the new MOS Walther PPS). Red dots, you would think by their function, aren't doing anything on a longer barrel. Unless it's competition and power factors are at play?

Just my opinion, but long barrel hunting type guns are all I'd want a red dot for. Let's me get a nicer, precise picture at range.

Close up CCW guns I much prefer irons as they are faster and more natural to my hands.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'd say the velocity differences are explainable not only by length, but by the individual qualitative characteristics of the two barrels.
Right, that's what I said. Individual variation between the two DIFFERENT barrels appears to have made more difference than length alone would be expected to.
See, I don't get that. Why test using one barrel that's then cut shorter?
Because that eliminates individual variation between barrels since the SAME barrel is used for every test in that caliber. The chamber is the same for every test, the rifling is the same for every test because it's exactly the same barrel for every test in that caliber.
Why not take someone's unmodded Gen4 G20 with its stock factory 4.6" barrel and test it against an unmodded Gen4 G40 with its stock factory 6.2" barrel?
For one thing, it's expensive and time-consuming enough to ruin a barrel for every caliber, and shoot a dozen or so loadings over and over in the same barrel through a chronograph without also trying to test every possible gun on the market vs. every other possible gun on the market.

They do include some chronograph testing from commercially available guns in each caliber, but those are guns they have on hand, they're not trying to buy a bunch of guns to test in each caliber.

And, of course, when you test DIFFERENT guns with DIFFERENT chambers and DIFFERENT rifling then you are also getting the individual variation in your test data when what you really want is to know ONLY how length affects the velocity.
What's really needed is more testing in that vein with a wider variety of bullet-weight. From the light 135gn-155gn screamers up to the 'heavy & fast' HC loads, like the 200gn/220gn that DT, BB, and UW produce.
The BBTI 10mm testing includes bullets as light as 135gr and as heavy as 200gr.

I'll bet that if you buy them another 10mm barrel and 50-100 rounds of ammunition in every loading that you want tested, they would happily do the testing and add the data from those loadings to their website. ;)