Glock 42

Pico

I saw and held the new little Glock at the gun show yesterday and was amazed at how small it was.

I was also amazed at the $600 price. I am not a Glock person but it did not look as sturdy as the typical Glock to me and I did not see what I should see for it to be a $600 gun. This may change though both for normal retail and as it is out for a while.

My 2 cents FWIW.....

Pico

9x19

LE price is well under $400, so the actual selling price will come down alot once the "I-just-gotta-be-first" guns are gone.

Most retailers have become accustomed to getting very high returns on a new intro... (remember the SR1911?).

Pico

Too small for 9

I felt that too but after seeing it I think 9 mm may be pushing the design of the frame. Folks, this gun is small. Glock needs to remake the 36 as a single stack 9mm.

Pico

Joe_Pike

$550 in my neck of the woods. With an MSRP of $475 I think around $400 is what they wil eventually be priced at.

Deaf Smith

Patience guys... patience.

Sooner or later the prices will go down to a 'normal' price.

Right now scalpers are hoping you are just so eager you will pay the premium.

Deaf

VTRich

They are $449 around here, and seem to be plentiful. They looked a bit on the large size to me for a 380. I placed one next to a Kimber Solo 9mm, and the G42 seemed a bit larger.

ftttu

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=GLOCK-UI4250201

They are $399.00 for civilians and $319.00 for LE/MIL at GT Distributors where I'll be getting mine. I saw a couple yesterday-one at a LGS and another at a gun show. I think the LGS price was $599.00 while the gun show price was $649.00. No way in heck would I ever pay those prices!

I will be using it as a pocket carry for backup while on duty and pocket carry or holster carry while off duty. Even though it is way smaller than I thought, I would still like to wear it in a holster since that is what I'm used to.

As I said, it is way smaller than I thought it would be after seeing it in images and the Hickok45 video. Even though I have small hands, I will still get a magazine extender for the benefit of more rounds and more fingers on the grip.

Brotherbadger

It's just too small for me. I've got big hands, so small guns usually don't feel right to me. This one seems almost impossible for me to get a good grip on.

cocojo

I checked one out the other day. It is small and my hands are big. I had a hard time working slide. I much prefer my Walther ppk, it just feels better. Don't get me wrong I am a Glock guy, but this is not for me. If they make one just a bit larger with a little more heft in 9mm, I'm in. I am looking for the Remington R51 to try next. They don't seem to be out yet.

Mystro

Its not that small for a 380. There are 9mm's as small. Glock is about 6 years too late to the pocket pistol party and in the wrong caliber.

Glenn E. Meyer

The free market will decide if it is a go. The GAP wasn't. The Judge was.

Who understands the interaction of the human mind and the free market?

9x19

I'll say this:

Last fall, the LGS sold every LC380 they could get, while the LC9 (same pistol, but in 9mm) laying next to them went unsold for months.

I think the G42 will sell just fine, as there are lots of folks who buy guns without ever having read a single post in an on-line gun forum.

wayneinFL

If it's as small as a 3AT or LCP, and it's reliable and stainless, I'll have one of these once the hype dies down.

My main concerns are whether it's small enough, and whether the slide is to blocky for pocket carry. I love my G27, but it's hard to find a pair of pants with pockets big enough.

ClydeFrog

.380acp pistols.....

I don't get the interest & need for the .380acp caliber. It serves a purpose for back-ups or 2nd guns/deep concealment but it's not something you couldn't live without or get by with.
The .38spl or 9mm(9x19mm) are available in sub-compacts or snubs with far better ballistics.
Why Glock chose to bring out a .380acp makes little sense. The Glock 30S .45acp sub-compact seemed to be design with limited interest either.
That model was R&Ded with input from the elite SIS unit of the LAPD.
They wanted a small .45acp for detectives to carry undercover.
Time will tell if Glock USA brings out a single stack sub-compact 9x19mm but they don't seem to be in a rush.

VTRich

If I lay a Kimber Solo on top of the G42, the G42 slide is about 1/4 longer. Grip length is about the same. The G42 appeared to be a bit "thinner" in the slide, but did not get to measure it. It is MUCH larger than a LCP. I would not consider it a pocket pistol, with the exception of cargo pants pocket, or coat pocket.

kcub

Does anyone know if it is blowback or locked breech?

Huge recoil difference. I can see having a locked breech .380 that kicks like a .22 so you can dump the whole magazine into a bad guy's torso very quickly and accurately. Plus it wouldn't have the takedown design flaw of the Sig and Colt mini 1911's.