Glock 40 vs my Python 357 Mag - Comparison

seed

I grew up shooting revolvers and don't believe they need a safety on the trigger. And I still can't figure out why Glocks need any kind of safety on the trigger. Neither one fires until you pull the trigger.

John

The reason Glock puts a safety on the trigger is that there is actual pulling tension on the trigger at all times and is countered by only the tang of the striker and its spring. When the slide is removed and you reset the trigger, the only thing preventing the trigger and its assembly from fulling activating is the trigger safety (the same is true when the trigger is reset and you lock back the slide). With the slide on and in battery and the trigger reset, the tang with all its spring force is enough to keep this from happening...but it is the only thing from keeping it from happening. So Glock installed the trigger safety as a sort of redundancy/back-up plan for some unforeseen ultra-weird event of the reset spring and perhaps some minimal outside force overcoming the strength of the striker spring, beginning an ignition.

The connector, in contrast acts like a leaf-spring which prevents the trigger from being reset until it is moved to the side by a projection on the underside of the slide during cycling. It does just about nothing to keep the trigger from self-activating if the trigger is fully reset.

Other pistol designs that have this Glock-esque trigger safety often put it there unnecessarily. They probably did it just to appease the safety conscious and or felt it was to become synonymous with polymer-frame designs. In any case, the trigger safety is mostly a redundancy in Glocks and completely useless in some, if not most other designs.

Hammerhead

Had both, traded the Python for a Freedom Arms model 97 .357. Still have a Glock.

I found the Python (and the F/A) much easier to shoot accurately than the Glock. It took me a long time before I felt like I truly mastered the Glock trigger.

jad0110

^^^

For some, shooting semis is easier. For some, shooting revolvers is easier. A few shoot both equally well. I do significantly better with revolvers; I myself prefer the grip feel (got tons of possible combos there) and DA trigger (assuming it is smooth with a clean release) to anything else.

LockedBreech

Explain how they "bribe" them.

He does have a point that Glock severely undercuts the prices of their competitors to gain police contracts, but he neglects to state (or purposefully trolls) that cost is merely one component of the metric. If cost truly controlled, police would carry Hi-Points. Police firearms must meet a rigid standard of reliability AND have the best price to be selected.

It doesn't mean that they're the BEST weapons, but they certainly are excellent.

Source:
-Great-grandfather a police officer
-Grandfather a police officer
-Dad a former police officer
-Mom a former police dispatcher
-Brother a police officer

Dad and bro have taken part in the selection process. It's rigorous departmental testing + cost.

mongo356

LawScholar-He does have a point that Glock severely undercuts the prices of their competitors to gain police contracts, but he neglects to state (or purposefully trolls) that cost is merely one component of the metric. If cost truly controlled, police would carry Hi-Points. Police firearms must meet a rigid standard of reliability AND have the best price to be selected.

Good point. S&W tries the same tactic.

As a police officer my dept allows me to carry about anything I wish. I carry a Glock.

That said, if there was any one firearm that obviously above the rest I would come up with the money and carry it at any cost.

Sevens

I've been here on TFL a few years now and though not as long as some of our long-timers, I've seen just about EVERY topic come up, get hashed, come up again, get re-hashed, etc etc etc. Recycling the same conversations happens over and over again in every hobby, discipline or lifestyle and this one is no different.

Gotta say, though, I did not expect to see a guy open his post with basically, "I arrived with my Colt Python and I'd never shot a Glock before. I really liked the Glock! I really shot well! I really liked the trigger on the Glock! :eek: :D

Reminds me of an old George Carlin bit where he made up some funny statements of things that had never before in human history been uttered out loud by anyone, ever. One of them involved Margaret Thatcher, another involve a gentleman with a hot poker and a cutting device, and well, that's not my point.

But bottom line... guy who owns a Python and has never before shot a Glock comes away happy and impressed with the Glock.

Tell me you saw that one coming and I'll call you a liar! :p

spacecoast

Don't forget, your Python (in addition to being a work of art) is a far more versatile handgun than the Glock with regards to the type of ammo that can be used in it, and for what purposes. Its accuracy potential at extended range is most likely significantly better as well. Palm-size groups at 30 or 35 feet are OK for SD but should be easy for most any decent handgun(ner).

Last edited:

603Country

I'm the OP on this one, and I had just wanted to speak up on the experience of a revolver guy shooting a Glock for the first time. I thought that you guys might like to hear my perspective. I'm a pretty fair pistol shot, but hadn't shot an auto in years. I've heard a lot about Glocks and I wondered what the big deal was. When I got my hands on it I did some slow fire and then, when I was comfortable with the trigger, I sped up the shooting. I really was surprised at how the pistol came right back on target. It was easy to shoot well and to shoot rapidly and I loved the trigger feel. Still, I'm not selling the Python, and if I had one shot to make for 'all the money', I'd take that shot in SA with the Python. Further, I just don't feel comfortable with that Glock trigger safety, even with all of what you Glocksters have said, so my recent auto purchase was a Beretta PX4, type F, in 9mm. I like it a lot, but I'll admit that I shot the Glock better than I'm shooting the PX4. All in all, the big thing to me is that I just picked up that Glock, never having had one in my hands, and shot it like I'd had one for years. I wasn't expecting anything close to that, so I thought it was worth mentioning.

graysmoke

There is a logical reason why the Law Enforcement and FBI use the Glock in .40 caliber...and it"s not because of their looks.
The Glock is the finest handgun in my opinion....Simple, Reliable, Accurate, and virtualy indestructable.

trex1310

Glocks are used by a lot of departments because Glock practically gives them away to them to get the contract.[/QUOTE

So, if cost is the only reason departments use Glocks, why aren't
departments using Hi-Points? Out of curiosity, I would like to know
who some of these departments were and how much they paid.
This information should be readily available based upon your statement.

I just love internet forums. You can make a statement straight from
your behind and all of a sudden it becomes fact. :D