Glock 40 vs my Python 357 Mag - Comparison

603Country

The Brother-in-Law was at the ranch this weekend and he brought his 40 caliber Glock. I hadn't ever shot a Glock of any type and was anxious to give it a try, and then follow that up by shooting my Python. It was very interesting to compare them. The Glock (don't ask me what model) was very easy to shoot and the trigger was particularly impressive. I was able to shoot it pretty well from the start (palm sized groups at about 30 or 35 feet). Had some muzzle jump, but came right back on target. I could throw a lot of lead in a hurry and keep it in a tight pattern. My Python, in comparison, had a similar recoil to the Glock. I really can't say that one had more noticable recoil than the other. What I can honestly say is , to my surprise, I was able to shoot the Glock better rapidly, though I shot a bit better with the Python if I shot it more slowly in single action mode. The Glock was very impressive, though I'm still a bit leery of it having no safety other than that trigger safety. But...if I was in a hostile environment, that trigger safety arrangement would probably be a great thing to have. Now I guess I have to quit making fun of the Glock snobs.:D

FairWarning

Glocks aren't used by so many PDs by accident.

They don't appeal to me personally, but are due much respect. If I wanted something in that style, I'd favor a XDM since I do appreciate having the grip safety as well, although the XDs have rather bulky slides for CCW.

armsmaster270

Glocks are used by a lot of departments because Glock practically gives them away to them to get the contract.

Sig's have no safety also not even the trigger safety.

JHansenAK47

Both glocks and sigs have passive safeties other than the little lever on the glocks trigger. Things like firing pin blocks aren't visible on the exterior. There are other safeties but I suggest google them. Reading about how a rebounding hammer works is time well spent in my opinion.

rodfac

Good Point, Fairwarning....I'm not a Glock fan, but they do work well, and are accurate enough for the Job. Rod

Gdawgs

Now don't get any funny ideas about trading that Python for a Glock. You would regret that one. Not that Glocks aren't good, they are just easy to come by. Pythons, not so much.

603Country

Noooooo, I'm not ever trading the Python in on a Glock or anything else. I just put this thread in the forum as something that might be of minor interest to some folks. It was interesting shooting a Glock for the first time. And the reason I said that I was a bit leery of having just a trigger safety on it was mostly because the trigger pull was pretty light. Didn't take much effort to crank off a round, particularly when compared to the Python in double action. If I was in a hurry to get off an accurate shot, the Glock would be faster and more accurate (in my hands) than my Python. If I wasn't in a hurry, I'd prefer the Python. Just my impressions from one shooting session...

603country:

The reason that the Glock is easier to shoot rapid fire is the shorter trigger release. The Python's double action has a long trigger release and requires more follow through. The Python's finely tunned trigger in single action gives it an advantage over the Glock in single action slow fire.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

Last edited:

Don P

I have to add this thought. This is comparing apples to oranges. Semi-auto to revolver and IMO and probably many others the finest handgun to come out of an American firearm manufacturer:D You can have all the Glocks there are and I'll keep my Python

MonsterB

I think you have experienced how good of a functional handgun the glock is. Without a doubt its no python but an amazing self defense gun it is. I also love my S&W 357 the best, but in a crisis I would almost definitely reach for my Glock before anything else.

mongo356

Glocks all have three safeties. They are quite safe as long as you use the safety between your ears.

That said Glocks can be had pretty reasonable, used, police trade, etc. and they are almost impossible to wear out. I would try and scrape cash before I traded a Python for a Glock.

Welcome to the dark side [Glock sickness].

Hiker 1

I carry a Glock 23 as my CCW and my all-around gun. I own Sigs, an HK, a Beretta, a Walther, a Browning, a S&W revolver - you get the point. The Glock is what I go with 90% of the time.

They are very good tools - high capacity, easy to operate, easy to fire, reasonably accurate, easy to clear malfunctions on, etc. Delta Force is using customized Glocks and has been for quite some time.

That being said, I never quite understood the love/hate thing with Glocks.

Kreyzhorse

and yet this isn't an issue with a revolver?

+1.

I had the same hang up when I first started CCW with my Glock 22. On the surface, there really isn't any difference between carrying a revolver and a semi auto but it still bothered me a bit at first. The only reason I can figure is that while revolvers don't typically have any sort of safety, a lot of semi autos do. Thus carrying a semi auto without a safety spooked me the first time I carried it.

jmstr

and yet this isn't an issue with a revolver?

This was actually my first thought too. However, I thought it through and realized it is slightly different. I KNOW the Glock is 'safe' to carry without an external safety. However I would compare a DA/SA semi to a revolver instead of a Glock. I get the point, but there is a subtle difference: the revolver does't have it's mainspring compressed 2/3rds of the way while riding in the holster., with a 5-7lb trigger pull. Glocks and other striker-fired pistols generally have the firing pin under spring tension, with the trigger both adding more spring tension and releasing the internal firing pin safeties.

Again, I KNOW Glocks are safe. But the hammer down on a transfer-bar equiped revolver has less chance of an AD than any striker-fired pistol when a round is in both chamber. NOT that there is any reasonable chance that a Glock can go off when dropped. But the spring DOES have some tension on it, which COULD cause the firing pin to move if there was a mechanical failure.

That said, I like my Kahr k9, my S&W M&P 45 and M&P 9C and am learning to like my Glock G22.

I also like my single-action semi's [1911 and Hi Power]. But I would compare the Ruger P97 I own to the GP100 more than I would a Glock G22.

Ultmately I guess my safety concerns depend on the firearm's role. If I am CCW-ing it I don't really want an external safety-too concerned about forgetting it at the wrong moment. For around the home that is also a concern, but having an external safety is nice to give a split-second advantage if my granddaughter [18 months] tries to take it out of my holster. A heavy 12+# DA trigger pull on a revolver isn't likely to be fired by her, but a 5-7# striker or SA trigger is more capable of being fired.

So, I understand the concerns but wouldn't care if it were for concealed carry or if it was just my wife and I around the house [and not raising our granddaughter].

johnbt

I grew up shooting revolvers and don't believe they need a safety on the trigger. And I still can't figure out why Glocks need any kind of safety on the trigger. Neither one fires until you pull the trigger.

John