Glock 21 or Ruger P90

Why Ruger P90 when the Ruger P97 is much more advanced (in terms of engineering)?

The Glock is the simpler of the two and the Ruger is more traditional. With the Ruger though, you can get a DA/SA trigger (or DAO) which, depending on your training/experience, can be a positive (don't necessarily have to Tap, Rack b/c of malfunction) - depending on your perspective.

seeker_two

Split the difference & get the Ruger P-97:

1. Plastic frame
2. Ruger reliability & durability
3. No earth-shattering kabooms....

Bob Locke

My G21 is my favorite firearm in my collection. It just works for me like an extension of my hand. I find it's the best platform for the .45ACP for me, hands down.

The Ruger is also a fine pistol. Have a buddy (retired USMC Lt.Col.) who ran one of the ranges I used to shoot at, and that's what he packed on his hip. FIgure he could have whatever he wants, and that's what he chooses for a working piece.

Guess that's my way of saying I prefer the G21, but you won't mess up going with either. Have you tried one or both at the range?

Onslaught

Both were fine for me. Actually the G21 was a little better....
You answered your own question right off the bat...

I have mentioned several times that I sold all my Glocks and will NEVER own another Glock... BUT, if the Glock felt good in my hand, I'd still own them all and then some more... That's the only reason I have sworn off them... Every time I picked up an HK or Walther, I thought "wow... this feels so much better in my hand than my Glock".

When you eliminate reliability concerns, decide on a caliber, and establish a budget, about the only thing left is 'which one feels better'.

Take it from somebody who's been there 21 times (just for pistols)... If you don't buy the one you like best, you'll end up selling it at a loss later to buy the one you REALLY wanted in the first place.

BTW, the Glock .45's are indeed the most accurate of all the Glocks because the .45 barrel is made differently than all the other calibers, giving it better accuracy. I believe it's Octagonal, where all the others are Polygonal... I don't remember if they're match quality too or not.

COK

I had to make the same choice a while back and I don’t think you could go wrong with either one . Both appeared to be well made guns and from what most people I talked with said , both are very reliable. I decided on the Ruger as I have some of their other products that I have been very satisfied with . I have been very impressed with the accuracy of the P-90 . As stated elsewhere I would try them both again and see what fits and feels the best.

jtduncan

Guns are like horses.

People tend to trade them even if thery are great guns.

The pasture tends to be greener on the other side of the pasture.

Rugers are great entry level guns. Durable but not really known for their accurate. Shot several in different calibers and just could not achieve the accuracy I could with an HK USP in 45 ACP, Sig P220, Glock 30, Glock 21, SW Chief's Special, 1911s and so on.

Now Ruger revolvers and rifles are the cat's meow. Love my Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag and my Ruger 10/22 rifle. But semi auto's are not. Low trade in value. Difficult to sell compared to mid priced guns. And no RugerTalk.

If you are truly looking for a home defense 45 ACP for the bedside, this is the bomb:

g17.jpg

13-round hi cap magazines for $80-90 on sale. 14-rounds on board. The Glock 21 sucks up recoil like a champ and is accurate as all get out. I get 2-3 inch groups at 25 yards offhand consistently. And you can shoot plated SWCs and with an aftermarket barrel go deer and hog hunting with a 40Super conversion barrel. Next to the 1911, there is no more versatile 45 ACP platform.

And the third generation Glock 21s have accessory rails for your Surefire flashlight and laser attachment. Built in ergonomic finger grooves.

And what did the troops fighting in the Faulklands and in Desert Storm and now Afgaunistan (sp?) want to carry? The Glock 21 is the pistol to have if your're a troop. Even if they issue the Beretta 92s.

For a defensive 45 ACP pistol for the house, there is no finer. Lots of other good guns. I've shot them. Owned many of them. But Glock people aren't crazy - just addicted. Because da drastic plastic is the best high on the range.

Been carrying a Glock 32 in 357 sig for a year now and just rediscovered some Powermax 591 FPE Gold Dot self defense ammo in 45 ACP. Just ordered a green tritium front sight by MMC to match the adjustable tactical MMC rears so I can carry my Glock 21 during the colder months.

So I'm walking the walk.

movie3_sm.jpg

Onslaught

And what did the troops fighting in the Faulklands and in Desert Storm and now Afgaunistan (sp?) want to carry? The Glock 21 is the pistol to have if your're a troop. Even if they issue the Beretta 92s.

JT - are you suggesting that U.S. troops overseas can somehow get their hands on, and carry, a Glock 21? Or does this just mean that a large number of troops who expressed a desire for something besides the M9 voted Glock 21?

I did say how I won't be owning any more Glocks and all... but if I ever did overcome that grip angle/finger groove issue, I think the 21 would have to be first on the acquisitions list. After all, I've got the German equivalent sitting on my nightstand (USP45).

I can get 12 rounds on board for about the same price as your 13... Potential legality aside :p

Nah... scratch that. I'd get a 20 :D