Glock 20 10mm (Quirky like the 21?)

MP-5

Opinions on this pistol.

I currently own a Glock 17 which is EXTREMELY reliable. However reading in the TFL I have found that the Glock 21 has had some quirks and reliability problems. Gee...I thought ALL Glocks were extremely reliable.:D The 20 and 21 share the same frame.

Does the 20(10mm) share these reliability challenges the 21(45acp)has?

Any problems with hot ammo? Durability and/or magazine issues?

I also own a Caspian 10mm and love the caliber as well as the 1911 design. I figured if my 9mm is great, a 10mm has to be even better.;)

This gun will rarely be used for CCW, but mainly for the trails, hunting etc.

The accessory 6" barrel would be nice!

Can a +P 45acp compete with a 10mm? I doubt it, however I only ask other's opinion for conversation purposes. Comments?

CastleBravo

Reliability problem with Glock 20? HELL, no! :D

I own a Glock 20C and it is super-duper reliable, with all ammo, all the time. The Glock 20 was designed from the ground up to handle full-power 10mm loads without a problem, which most 10mm handguns aren't. I can't say enough good things about mine, it is VERY accurate too... almost as accurate as my S&W 610 6.5" and Delta Elite with a fitted Bar-Sto barrel, which is saying ALOT.

The closest thing I can call a "quirk" is that if the magazine springs are crapped out, the reliability goes to hell... which could be said of any semi-auto. I put some XP Wolff springs in a pair of used 15-rounders I got and they worked perfectly, too.

As for comparing 10mm to .45 ACP... well, crappy 10mm ammo is around .45 ACP +P. "The Good Stuff" (e.g. the batch of Cor-Bon 180gr JHP @ 1300 FPS sitting next to me) easily outclasses any .45 ACP +P out there, including the ultralight 165gr +P loads.

blades67

I don't own a G21, but my understanding is the G21 problems are caused by the 10 round magazines. Glock will replace the problem mags.

My G20 hasn't had a malfunction yet. (Having said that, the gun will now jam the next time I shoot it.;)) The only magazine issues I have heard about have been related to the polymer cracking at the mouth of the mag. There is a piece of the polymer that can get broken off the front, but it doesn't seem to cause any malfunctions. (It's a really small piece that breaks, and only on some magazines.)

Brian Busch

The G20 was designed around the 10mm, and that was modified to fit the 45ACP, thus creating the 21.

The G20 is just as reliable as the G17 9mm.

CZ_

My Glock 21 has been perfectly reliable (I wouldn' t put much faith on internet rumors BTW). My opinion of the Glock 20 is very good also, the ones I shot had very good reliability.

lunde

I have the G20 and G21. I shoot the G20 all of the time, and my G21 stays in the safe. My G20 is 100% reliable with anything I feed it.

Alaska Roy

Glock 20 & 10mm vs .45acp and .45 Super

My G-20 is a typical Glock, big and ugly. Never fails and very accurate out to a hundred.
Hi-caps are getting very pricey, I turned down $150.00 ea at the range last week!
The extended barrel will add another 50-100fps depending on ammo.
10mm vs .45acp +P? The 10mm wins hands down but if we consider .45 Super either commercial or handloads then the Super wins out. 185s@1500, 200s@1400, 230s@1300fps! Roy

BigMike

My G21 was not reliable. It would jam at different times, regardless of the mag, hand position, shooter, ammo, conditions, etc. It was one of the earlier ones, but I don't know if that made any difference. However, I had AroTec install their extended slide release and mag release which made my 21 the most ergonomically awesome(for me) handgun. Eventually traded it for a Remington 870, shells, ammo, some extra stuff. No regrets as I still think the G21/G20 is the best size/power/capacity handgun out there, IMO. Hope this helps,

Mike

thisaway

I bought my G20 in 1991. The only reliability problems I have ever experienced was with a single box of my reloads---I tried a soft lead bullet which performed miserably.

With factory ammo, my G20 has been 100%.

HCKJMN

I have a G21 C. There have been no reliability issues whatsoever. The only negitive I can say is that the 10th round is a bugger to in the mag. Loading to full capacity and letting it sit a few weeks helped however.

Jay

Dave T

I have owned two G20s and both were reliable. I currently own a G21 that has digested well over 5000 rounds of reloads. None of this seems "quirky" to me.

Your question, on the other hand, is a little "quirky"!

MP-5

Gee Dave T, thanks for the sarcasm! :barf:
(lets all try to remember, there are no "stupid" questions as, some of us don't know it all!)

As I stated in my thread, I found out through the TFL that other members have had various problems or "quirks" with their Glock model 21s. I was wondering if this could be correlated to the 20 as well.

From what I have gathered, my answer is "No," for the most part, the 20 is an accurate reliable weapon.

Thank you all for your helpful responses especially Blades and CB. :)

MP-5

Old Reb

Glock 20 & 21 Are Reliable

For the most part, problems with Glocks feeding ammo revolve around limpwristing, reloaded ammo and/or weak mag springs.

The limpwristing is particularly susceptible with the use of polymer-frame pistols, especially the 9mm models with longer, heavier slides. I have problems with this using the 9mm longslides, but no problems with my G20 or G21.

The latter two problems above could happen with any semi-auto pistol and is not exclusive to the G21. If you shoot factory ammo and install the Wolff extra-power mag springs, reliability is as good as it gets for any pistol. The G20 is the finest 10mm pistol available -- period. The G21, in my experience, is more reliable than most 1911 pistols and as reliable as my beloved HK USPs. I think that you'll find that if you give the Glock 20 OR 21 a try, keeping in mind the caveats above, you will be a very happy camper.

agtman

Well, over 2500 rds thru mine, and no quirks whatsoever.

Works fine with all pre&post ban mags I've used. Ammo shot has been a mix of mid-range and hot loads. My G-20 is a very accurate, robust pistol. Hope this helps.

Dave Finfrock

My G21 has about 7k rounds through it with no, ahh, "quirks." I do, however, have all 13 rd mags for it. I can't comment on the 10rd ones.

I've had some experience with the G20, and it's hard to tell it apart from the 21. The only thing of note is that you'd better taper crimp if you handload for the 20. It will suffer from bullet setback if you don't.

jimmy

My pre-FG&R G20 has always been reliable. However, it used to eject brass all over the place. So I sent it to Glock for the ejector upgrade. It now functions better than ever.

No stoppages of any kind in my G21, either. :)

355sigfan

The G20 is just as reliable as the G17 9mm.

This is not so from my pesonal experence. I own a 20 and it is picky about some ammo. For instance it does not like reloads with golden saber bullets. It has also failed to feed with Winchester silvertips once. A Glock 17 I owned ate everything. The 21 is also very reliable. The 10mm is a poor cartridge shape for feed reliability.
PAT

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
I had a 21 that I purchased, used, about 8 years ago.

It did not like 185-grain Speer JHP's. I have heard that the early G21's had mag-related functioning issues, and once those were resolved, Voila! No problems.

The Glock .40's I've had, OTOH, have only had problems with one mag, which I promptly rid myself of.