What would you do?

• Keep the Glock 19

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Trade for the Glock 21

Votes: 14 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David the Gnome

I currently own a Glock 19 OD. I have the opportunity to trade it for a 3rd gen Glock 21 with night sights. I don't carry the Glock 19 so its "compact" size doesn't benefit me much. Right now it's my bedside gun and that is the role this Glock 21 would fill as well. Would you just keep the Glock 19 or would you trade for the Glock 21?

Here is a picture of my 19:

glock19od01.jpg

lee n. field

This just might turn into a 9 vs 45 catfight.

Does one or the other fit you better? You're aware, aren't you, that .45 is, in the best of times, twice as expensive as 9?

GregM

You should handle the 21 before you trade. I have large hands, measuring over 9" from pinky to thumb, and the 21 always felt like holding a 2x4 to me. I think the 19 is the perfect size myself. Put a light on it and call it done. I'd go for a light instead of night sights, since for home defense you REALLY need to ID your target before you dispense with them. I've carried Glocks on duty for nearly 9 years now and can take or leave the night sights. Never noticed the little glowing lights whenever i've needed to have it out, but the weapon mounted light sure is handy.

GregM

bakon

No response to which gun is better. I do have night sights and quaify in a low light range. Low light is fine for the night sights, but no light and they are worthless. Like Greg said, you still have to see a target. Get a weapon light if you just leave it at home.

John Clum

GregM is right. You need real big mitts to fire the 21. Better spend some time on it before you spend money on it.

Gav-n-Tn

Never noticed the little glowing lights whenever i've needed to have it out

What a strong and profound statement! I love it. You are absolutely dead on there. As for the 21, put it in your hands and see for yourself. There's a list of pros and cons a mile long when it comes to making that decision. www.southernoutdoorlife.com

gb_in_ga

I agree with GregM.

If it were me, I'd do the swap. I already know that I shoot the model 21s well and I do have the big mitts that it takes to handle them. Where the 19 shines is that it is easier to carry, but if it is going to be used as a bedside gun I like the idea of going with the larger sized weapon in the larger caliber.

That said, what is right for me might not be right for you. I've got big hands and shoot the 21s well. You might not.

Regarding the 9mm vs 45 thing: either one will get the job done if you feed it right and do your part. I don't see the reason to worry all that much about it, one way or the other. Practice, be able to put your shots on target, and you'll be able to sleep at night with either one.

David the Gnome

Well, I think I'm going to swing by on my way home from work and hold it. Maybe getting it in my hands will help make my decision. I fortunately have rather large hands so maybe the size won't be a hindrance.

redstategunnut

Keep the G19

I presently own a G19 and a G32, and I once owned a G21. The G21 was too big to be much good for anything. I love Glocks and I love .45 ACP, but in my opinion the G21 is trying too hard to be two things at once and not succeeding at either. I traded the G21 for a j-frame and an Ithaca 37, and it is the one time I let a gun go that I don't regret.

LAlineman

Glock 21 or 19 reply

I own a glock 19 and 21sf ( sf= slim frame). Love the 21sf. But a reg. 21 is a huge grip. So many complaints came in to Glock that they decided to slim it down a bit i.e. 21SF. Can't go wrong with a .45, but the older model grip may be to large. I highly recommend, try one out first. Otherwise, keep the 19 and trade for 21SF. Or buy one. great gun, no problems, fiber optic sight on mine,super accurate. Hope this helps!

Alleykat

I don't have huge hands, and I have no problems shooting my two G21s and G20. Also like the 9mm Glocks. I'd probably keep the G19, if I were you. No real advantage to the .45 over the 9mm for a bedside pistol. I do use night sights on all my pistols.

David the Gnome

Well I went to check it out today after work. I was concerned about the grip being too large like most of you pointed out. It actually fit my hand very well. It's in perfect condition with factory night sights and extended slide release (much easier to use than the standard unit!). I've wanted a high capacity .45 for quite some time so I think I'm going to go ahead and make the trade. It's not like either gun is particularly difficult to find if I end up regretting it later.

LAlineman

Nah, You won,t regret it. If it fits well, go for it. You,ll like the power. If it,s for home defense, look into crimson trace laser grips. It just pins on top of your existing grip. I put one on my 21SF, and what I difference. Under stress, you just point and squeeze. Go to a range at dusk and sight it in. You,ll like what you see, worth the $. Have Fun !