Glock 18 or Other Full Auto Handguns: Does it have a use?

Jim Watson

Thanks, Tom.
Clear one thing up.
May an 07 SOT transfer a SMG to another 07 SOT without agency letter as you say above?

Fringe case: BATFE acceptance of an AR "pistol" with "brace" is arrant nonsense.
Seen in use they are not functionally different from a SBR.
Which there is no point in restricting, but it is the law.

44 AMP

Staff
I can rent one at a range near me so the "military LEO" thing may have a work around.

It's not a "work around' because the law covers ownership. You rent the gun, there is no change of ownership. The legal owner is just letting you shoot it (under their supervision, never leaves their property etc.) and charging you for it.

It is a myth that Clinton eliminated a bunch of FFL's. In fact ATF gave those "dealers" every opportunity to get legal (obtain a business license, comply with local laws, sales tax permits, zoning, etc.) Most chose to relinquish their FFL rather than get legal.

I don't think its a myth, more of a difference in point of view. If I remember right, the "hobby dealers" (aka kitchen table dealers) were ALREADY legal, complying with applicable local business and zoning laws as well as the FFL requirements.

What eliminated those guys who A)mostly did it for personal enjoyment, and B) operated on very small profit margins was the Clinton administration raising the price of the FFL license from $30 to $300 a year. They (mostly) didn't go out of the business rather than "get legal" they went out of business because the increase in the license fee cost them more than they were making. (added sufficient expense to negate their slim profits)

cslinger

I’ve never run a Glock 18 or 93R but have run a 17 converted to select fire (so basically a Glock 18)

I can see it’s use in a very limited usage envelope. With SHORT bursts it’s not all that bad but it’s easy to get away from you.

Like has been said I can see any of these being fairly useful for discrete body guard type duty. They are a perfectly fine Glock 17 if needed. However if needed you can slap a 33 rounder in and drop a quick wall of suppressive Get the hell out of dodge wall of lead.

Again their real world use is fairly narrow.

They are however a fantastic way to turn money to noise REALLY FAST. like make an MP5 feel semi auto fast. I like noise. :)

dogtown tom

MTT TL Ok, in SA it is a Glock 17. In FA mostly a toy.
Uh, no. I doubt any of the police departments issuing the G18 consider FA capability as a "toy" but as an advantage.

While you might consider full auto capable firearms as toys, most certainly LE & military do not.;)

dogtown tom

Jim Watson Thanks, Tom.
Clear one thing up.
May an 07 SOT transfer a SMG to another 07 SOT without agency letter as you say above?
The only time a law letter is not required for an 07FFL is when an 01 or 07FFL/SOT is going out of business. ATF/Federal law require the FFL/SOT to dispose of his post '86 machine guns.

Fringe case: BATFE acceptance of an AR "pistol" with "brace" is arrant nonsense.
Seen in use they are not functionally different from a SBR.
Which there is no point in restricting, but it is the law.
When I saw the first SIG arm brace I said "that's just a crappy shoulder stock!". I think we are lucky that ATF was very liberal in their determination that it is not a stock. But that determination could change tomorrow at the whim of ATF Technical Branch.

dogtown tom

44 AMP
Quote:
It is a myth that Clinton eliminated a bunch of FFL's. In fact ATF gave those "dealers" every opportunity to get legal (obtain a business license, comply with local laws, sales tax permits, zoning, etc.) Most chose to relinquish their FFL rather than get legal.

I don't think its a myth, more of a difference in point of view. If I remember right, the "hobby dealers" (aka kitchen table dealers) were ALREADY legal, complying with applicable local business and zoning laws as well as the FFL requirements.
Well, no.
ATF has always been clear that the 01FFL Dealer license is for engaging in the business of dealing in firearms...…"hobby" isn't mentioned and neither is
"kitchen table". BTW, there are more "kitchen table dealers" than there are those with brick & mortar retail storefronts.

ATF doesn't care where the dealer conducts business as long as he is operating legally. At least once a week I'll run across someone who says "ATF doesn't allow kitchen table dealers!". Clearly they do as ATF regulations do not prohibit a home based business.

ATF wasn't very interested in doing actual on site premises inspections, instead doing the majority of initial interviews over the phone. At some point ATF noticed that many dealers weren't abiding by Federal law and had lied on their applications. If the licensee was in compliance with ATF regulations and all federal, state, local laws he didn't lose his FFL. The actual number of revocations was miniscule compared to the number who chose to not renew their FFL because they didn't want or could not comply with the law.

What eliminated those guys who A)mostly did it for personal enjoyment,
But "personal enjoyment" doesn't eliminate anyone.....I personally enjoy operating a small business after school. It is clearly stated on the application that an 01FFL will not be issued for enhancing ones personal collection. For that you would need an 03FFL "Collector of Curios & Relics"

and B) operated on very small profit margins was the Clinton administration raising the price of the FFL license from $30 to $300 a year.
You are horribly misinformed.
In 1986 the license fee was $10 per year for all types of FFL's.
Since 1986, the 01FFL Dealer application fee is $200 FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS and a whopping $90 for each three year renewal after that.

Any "dealer" who can't handle that probably has no business being in business.

They (mostly) didn't go out of the business rather than "get legal" they went out of business because the increase in the license fee cost them more than they were making. (added sufficient expense to negate their slim profits)
I'm sure the idea of having to get a business license, a sales tax permit and actually begin remitting $$$ to their state comptroller was a bigger financial hit than the paltry FFL renewal fees.