Glock 17 vs Glock 19

101combatvet

I carried a Glock 17 for a while. I'm not a big fan of Glock and certainly not a fan of compacts. If I had to own one, I would go with the full size for my personal use.

Shadow9mm

I'm sure some of you own both of these pistols, so I want to solicit your opinions on these guns. I'm considering one of these as my next purchase, however, i'm conflicted on which to get. Some pros and cons would be appreciated.

I do own the S&W M&P 2.0 compact but I don't have a CCW. In the event I ever get a CCW, the S&W should do nicely. With that said, the Glock 19 is virtually the same as the S&W as far as size goes. I watched some reviews on both last night and i'm leaning towards the Glock 17 for home defense use. The reason being that the 17 holds 17 rounds and has a larger grip. One of the reviews also suggested the Glock 17 handles recoil slightly better due to the longer barrel and heavier weight, but I don't know if this is true or not. I don't foresee muzzle flip being an issue. I don't know if i'll get a CCW but never say never.
So, lots and lots of discussion. You any closer to deciding on what will meet your needs best?

JustJake

The G19 can do everything the G17 can do, and it does it in a package that's easier to conceal carry.

Plus, Navy SEALS are said to prefer it over the Sig P226. So there's that. ;)

Willie Lowman

When I first started conceal carrying all I had were large duty size pistols. I carried my Glock 22 (same size as a 17). The size of the grip caused printing problems on my cover garment.

I switched to a 23 (same size as a 19) and found concealment much easier.

gaseousclay

So, lots and lots of discussion. You any closer to deciding on what will meet your needs best?

I'm leaning heavily towards the 17, mainly because of the slightly larger size. Since I already own the S&W m&p m2.0 compact 9mm, I didn't want another compact 9mm that is similar. If I want to do conceal carry then i'll use the S&W. If I buy the 17 it would be used as a bedside/home defense pistol.

Sad part is, I'm trying to make more upgrades to my AR, so it's pushed the 17 to the back of the line :)

Captains1911

I'm leaning heavily towards the 17, mainly because of the slightly larger size. Since I already own the S&W m&p m2.0 compact 9mm, I didn't want another compact 9mm that is similar. If I want to do conceal carry then i'll use the S&W. If I buy the 17 it would be used as a bedside/home defense pistol.

Sad part is, I'm trying to make more upgrades to my AR, so it's pushed the 17 to the back of the line :)

Are you not even considering the G45? If so, why?

TBL004

Lots of good suggestions. Glock 17 for home defense. Glock 19 for CCW but could also double as home defense since the 19 also accepts G17 mags. Either would be a good choice.

wild cat mccane

The G45 is the worst of all worlds.

I can't imagine why you would want to eliminate eliminate the benefit of the G19 when the G19 can accomplish the G45's role with an a mag extension on a G17 mag.

JDBerg

wild_cat_mccane said:
The G45 is the worst of all worlds. I can't imagine why you would want to eliminate the benefit of the G19 when the G19 can accomplish the G45's role with an a mag extension on a G17 mag.

I have a 19X which is very similar to the G45. This is one that you really have to get out & shoot to appreciate how good it is and how well it balances in the hand. I’m not necessarily saying that it’s better than my G19, but it’s different, and I like the difference. This gun has worked great for me since I got it, and you are entitled to your opinion, but I certainly can’t agree with the “worst of all worlds” comment.

wild cat mccane

But everything it does can be accomplished with an X Grip mag sleeve on a G17 mag...no? But the G45 permanently makes the gun a full size without the option to go smaller....na. No benefit. Clearly I'm wrong cause they are being bought...but I can't think to name a benefit.

Screwball

The Glock 45 is a very interesting design… those who like them, really like them. But those that hate them, similarly really hate them. I don’t plan on buying one, but I do like the option. And it seems other people like it, as well.

Personally, if I go with the full grip, I want the full barrel length. Hell, I prefer 34 length… but that is neither here/there.

For a duty gun, the shorter slide is nice when clearing the holster. The longer grip might be a hinderance to some, but being issued a 19 Gen 5 MOS… I wouldn’t mind the larger grip (we also have extended bases that sort of makes my hand stay on the 19 grip; it is for ripping the magazine out of the gun). Again, I rather the larger gun… wouldn’t have been a 34, but the 47 (17 sized gun, 45 frame) would be nice.

I got rid of my .45 Glock 30S a little bit ago, as I stopped carrying it. It literally is the same size as my duty gun, so why not just carry that? Have 9mm AR pistol that takes Glock magazines… figured I’d get another 9mm pistol for myself. Got a P80 (the retro Glock, not the 80% lower)… and really liked it. Probably going to see about getting a 34 slide for it, mainly s***s/giggles… but again, I like the larger pistol.

I really don’t like the multiple sized pistol family, but I might find a 26 Gen 5 for another option. We can’t carry backups on duty, but not a bad gun to have as a spare/truck gun.

JustJake

I really don’t like the multiple sized pistol family, but I might find a 26 Gen 5 for another option. We can’t carry backups on duty, but not a bad gun to have as a spare/truck gun.
I have the Gen4 G26. Nice little 12+1 package for when a G19 is more "boat anchor" than you feel you need to tote around.

I suppose it could also work in an under-the-seat "truck gun" role.

Screwball

I have the Gen4 G26. Nice little 12+1 package for when a G19 is more "boat anchor" than you feel you need to tote around.

I suppose it could also work in an under-the-seat "truck gun" role.

Off duty, I carry a 9mm 642-1… only time I switch from that is if I feel I need more than five shots of 9mm, or I really can’t carry that… which my original LCP comes around. If I don’t have a gun on me, either I elected not to for a specific reason or I’m naked.

I do have a P938 SAS, but have been procrastinating on putting more rounds thru it before I really consider it a carry gun. Was looking at the P365 and the Hellcat (still feel gross saying I’m looking at a Springfield), but I just can’t justify the purchase right now. I’m waiting on three suppressors, so trying to get muzzle devices and barrels together before they get out of jail… which is where extra money has been sort of going.

The allure of the 26 is really that I can shove a 19 or 17 (or larger) magazine into it. Being I don’t see myself leaving the agency… I’ll likely be swimming in 9mm Glock magazines for awhile. And having it in the vault inside my truck, it just seems like good idea (usually have extra magazines floating around).

JDBerg

wild_cat.mccane: said:
But everything it does can be accomplished with an X Grip mag sleeve on a G17 mag...no? But the G45 permanently makes the gun a full size without the option to go smaller....na. No benefit. Clearly I'm wrong cause they are being bought...but I can't think to name a benefit.

I am cursed with big hands and I have a long-standing preference shooting full size service pistols. I am a big fan of the large beavertail backstrap that comes in the box with the 19X, that has been on the gun since I first got it. Works for me to point the gun to the target and that’s what I know and have figured out for myself. I like to carry the 19 rd. extended mag as a spare. I have enough shooting experience with my 19X alongside my Gen3 17 & 19, to know that the 19X could replace either or both the 17 and 19 if I were inclined to do so (I am not).

Captains1911

The G45 is the worst of all worlds.

I can't imagine why you would want to eliminate eliminate the benefit of the G19 when the G19 can accomplish the G45's role with an a mag extension on a G17 mag.

Have you shot one? If not you should probably stay out of it. Anyway, I was only suggesting to the OP not to rule it out, that’s all.

Desmosedici

I have a Gen4 19, a good gun and one I've enjoyed for many years now. For me, it's a better gun than the 17 for my purposes. The hump in the 17 grip just doesn't fit my hand as well.

Which probably makes me look like an imbecile because after trying a 19X this year, I think it is a better gun than my 19 in every aspect with the exception ability to conceal.

I get the argument that it seems to not offer anything advantageous over the 19, but for those that haven't tried one, you should. I can only speak for myself, but it balanced wonderfully well and the accuracy was notably impressive. I was surprised by it, very much so.

The 19 is a good weapon, reliable as the day is long. I have read a lot of people stating their preference for the Gen 3 over the 4. I've had no issues with mine, fortunately. Putting on better sights has been the only addition I've made to it. The trigger has also improved over time, although it's certainly not a great trigger.

Captains1911

I have a Gen4 19, a good gun and one I've enjoyed for many years now. For me, it's a better gun than the 17 for my purposes. The hump in the 17 grip just doesn't fit my hand as well.

Which probably makes me look like an imbecile because after trying a 19X this year, I think it is a better gun than my 19 in every aspect with the exception ability to conceal.

I get the argument that it seems to not offer anything advantageous over the 19, but for those that haven't tried one, you should. I can only speak for myself, but it balanced wonderfully well and the accuracy was notably impressive. I was surprised by it, very much so.

I currently own about a dozen Glocks, and the G19X/G45 is my overall favorite. People love to bash it for some reason (most of whom have zero experience with it), yet it's similar in concept to a commander size 1911 that many agree hits a sweet spot for 1911s.

Jeff #111

I've carried both the Gen 3 and the Gen 4 G19 for the past fifteen years. I've always found it to be a good fit for me. Over the past fifteen years I've worked both patrol (uniform) and investigations (plain clothes) and the 19 has done just fine in both categories. It also adapts to off duty (CCW) carry effortlessly. I like the G17, but the longer barrel and grips does make concealment a bit more problematic. For what it's worth I've run through my agency's qualification course over the years with the G17, G19, G45 and G26 and my scores are always within a point or two despite which model I am shooting.