Glock 17 slide damage. It's beating itself to death.

eviltravis

Everyone has read about the slide peening on the Glocks. Most would say that it's "normal wear." But what do you say when the peening becomes severe enough to have turned into chipping? I have peening, and now I have chipping. It doesn't look like it's ready to expire and explode in my face yet, but it is bugging me. So does anyone else have metal chips coming out of their slide around the locking block area? I've made an attempt to photograph the damage, but my powers of photography are weak. My pictures are fuzzy, and it's too late to experiment with the camera further. "Now I'm rambling..." Chipping! Staying on topic here. I need info on the chipping.

Zekewolf

I'm holding out for pictures. Peening is "normal," only in that lots of Glocks' slides peen. Peening can be mitigated by using a stronger recoil spring and/or taking a little off the top of the locking block. I doubt if Glock's engineers ever purposely designed peening into their Glocks as a desirable feature. ;)

HappyGunner

Have it looked at by Glock

I would highly recommend having Glock check your Glock firearm to see if it's a problem or normal. IMHO chiping would not be normal. ;)

JohnKSa

Administrator
How many rounds do you have through it, and what kind of ammo are you using?

Severe peening isn't common in the 9mm caliber.

eviltravis

I have about 15000 rounds through it, (give or take). I primarily use the winchester white box from Walmart with the occasional american eagle from federal tossed in when the white box runs out. No +p stuff to speak of exept for a couple of boxes of gold dots I ran through it about 3 years ago. I have watched the progress of the peening for about 5 years now. First the rub marks of the slide from the locking block. Then the dents, and now the edge has chipped off. Here's an attempt at a picture. I just got a digital camera and I can't seem to get a close up thats not fuzzy. I'm a newb at posting pics.

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 463

Wildcard

If you are talking about the "wear" marks, mid way in the slide, on the rails, that is normal, on any glock model. If you are talking about chips of the slide falling off, or metal spraying out, you need to call glock and/or send it to glock, they will take care of you. Glock has A + customer service.

Q: I have noticed wear marks on the bottom side of my 9mm - .357 - .40 - 10mm - .45 slide - just below the ejection port - is that normal?
A: Yes, these marks are normal wear marks. They will wear to a point and stop. They are caused by the locking block coming into slight contact with the slide when the gun is fired - nothing to worry about.

The above from:
http://glockmeister.com/faq.shtml

HappyGunner

Step Back some

Just stept back and take the picture the keyboard is in focus and we can use our veiwing software to zoom in on your picture. :)

AttackTurtle

Hmmm Nice keyboard. as for the camera. If it is a 4 MG or higher pic, take another one in focus. Then, you can even edit/zoom in with PAINT to get close. hope that works and I hope you get your Glock fixed.

Zekewolf

Sometimes there'll be rough edges on the peening. Pretty simple to stone them off. Again, if you just stone a little off the locking block where it's making contact with the slide, the peening will stop.

Or, you could spend $50 and ship the pistol off to Glock, so they can tell you that it's "normal" wear, and nothing to worry about.

Tim R

The wear is really pretty minor to boot. I've got it on both sides of my slide and about 3 or 4 times as much on my 35. The 35 still does a fine job of putting bullets where I want them.

HSMITH

My current G22 hasn't peened even the smallest amount. Prior Glocks have. It isn't a big deal and I would not worry about it.

In my experience peening on a Glock is like flame cutting on a revolver, it happens and is troublesome when you first notice it. Then it gets to a point and stops getting worse, and never affects the function of the gun. Just shoot it.

impact

you say you have 15000 rounds through the gun. I don't like to let a recoil spring go more than 5000 rounds on any of my guns.

boing

It doesn't look like it's "beating itself to death", but I'll wait for your next and bestest close-up to say for sure.

Did you save any of the chips? Can you post a picture of one? :D

My police trade-in G22 shows substantial peening, to the extent that some material has evidently chipped off the slide, and the edges of the peened areas appear slightly ragged.

If it bothered me enough, I'd just take a detail file and break the edges of the peened areas to preclude the bits from breaking loose under firing. But it doesn't.

No malfunctions since I bought it a year ago.