Give me feedback on a .45

J.G. Terry

HK's are in a class by themselves. One of my favorites is a USP Compact. I'm not getting over the good deals you guys are getting on full size HK's. This should get about half dozen HK haters running in circles with their hair afire.

Mosin44az

I owned an SR45 and the thumb safety is not an issue. You simply turn the gun in your hand and use the tip of your thumb to put it on, but it sweeps off easily on the draw. And because it’s a “nub” and its positioning, you won’t flip it on by accident when firing.

My problem with the SR was it was not fully reliable even after a trip back to Ruger, so I ditched it.

I tried an American.45 Compact, but found the grip tang shape uncomfortable and the gun in general too bulky and clunky. Felt recoil was also too much for a gun of its bulk and weight. A failed design for Ruger in my opinion.

Of the three you mentioned, the M & P is easily the best choice.

TxFlyFish

H&K 45acp variants ime have uncontrolled recoil. Would not recommend hk for 45. Of the options OP listed M&P 45.

Dave T

I always shot my beloved 1911s with a high thumb, resting on the thumb safety. That was from April of 1974 until the early 2000s. When arthritis produced a swollen knuckle at the base of my thumb, which got mashed by the 1911's frame with every shot, I transitioned to the Glock 21. It's wide soft plastic frame was much easier on my arthritic knuckle, but I no longer had a place to put my thumb.

As a man said on another forum I visit, we humans are adaptive creatures. We adapt to the tool we are using. I learned to rest my strong hand thumb on the knuckle of the weak hand thumb, both pointing forward.

Sorry but I don't get buying a gun just to have a place to put your thumb. Adapt to the tool that works best for you!

Dave

The only .45ACP that I have as my minimalist self has opted to trim down my inventory tremendously, is the HK USP 45 Expert. The Glock 36 I have is a "chopping block" gun and a potential back up for gigs of security work or gun shop/range work.

I'm an HK guy. My EDC pistol has been an HK P30L in 9mm in what's about to be a year in February.

But by your criteria, Smith and Wesson M&P 45 full sized. Hands down. 100%. Love that gun.

Pistoler0

I am looking into a striker .45 with a thumb rest. Why? I haven't had a .45 in a long time and strikers with thumb safeties fit my hand naturally.

I am finding 3 options: Ruger American, Ruger SR and the M&P.

The SR45 is the cheapest of the 3, under $300 through Buds, but its thumb safety is a tiny little nub. The Ruger and the M&P are $450-500. If I want to upgrade the trigger, which I usually do if I like a gun, there are many options for the M&P, and Galloway Precision offers what seems like a complete trigger system overhaul for the SR but just a striker guide replacement for the American series.

What are your experiences with these 3? Is there a reason for a small-handed, trigger-picky but financially limited shooter whose thumb always finds the slide release to pick one over the other 2? (And please don't advise me to change my grip. If I modify my grip then I lose the excuse to buy a .45). I have shot a rental M&P 2.0 but the other two are not available at local ranges.

Thanks, and have a great first day of 2020!
Glock 21, with a Cominolli thumb safety installed.

Here is a picture of one:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Pistoler0

I am looking into a striker .45 with a thumb rest. Why? I haven't had a .45 in a long time and strikers with thumb safeties fit my hand naturally.

I am finding 3 options: Ruger American, Ruger SR and the M&P.

The SR45 is the cheapest of the 3, under $300 through Buds, but its thumb safety is a tiny little nub. The Ruger and the M&P are $450-500. If I want to upgrade the trigger, which I usually do if I like a gun, there are many options for the M&P, and Galloway Precision offers what seems like a complete trigger system overhaul for the SR but just a striker guide replacement for the American series.

What are your experiences with these 3? Is there a reason for a small-handed, trigger-picky but financially limited shooter whose thumb always finds the slide release to pick one over the other 2? (And please don't advise me to change my grip. If I modify my grip then I lose the excuse to buy a .45). I have shot a rental M&P 2.0 but the other two are not available at local ranges.

Thanks, and have a great first day of 2020!
Another option:

EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness in .45 ACP. Attached is a picture of the Polymer Compact, but there are also steel and full size models. They are DA/SA though.

witness-polymer-compact-tanfoglio_f.png

Desmosedici

For what it's worth, I own an HK45; it has been a reliable gun, although a bit finicky in terms of accuracy with what it likes/dislikes. It's pretty inaccurate with WWB and American Eagle, but is very accurate with Federal, especially 230 grain Hydra-Shok JHP's....those are expensive to shoot, though, at least for me.

I got it brand new for $800 bucks on sale Christmas 2018. I wanted a larger, fill-my-hand home defense style pistol. Need a longer barrel and a suppressor, which I'm aiming to get soon.

Bentonville

HK 45, HK 45c, HK USP45 Full-size and HK USP45 Compact are all very controllable and, ime, soft-shooting. You’re not supposed to hold it with your feet. Then it would be uncontrollable, I guess??