Give me a reason to not buy a new Marlin

FrankenMauser

It sounds like what you're looking for is a late '50s / early '60s Model 336A.

They show up on auction sites very regularly and you can usually find at least one (among the dozens of other Marlins) in a decent size metropolitan area or city. Whether it will be .35 Rem or .30-30 is a coin flip. But if you keep flipping that coin, it will eventually land in your favor.

3Crows

I have six Marlin rifles, four JM and two REP, actually seven including my 39A Mountie. I have found no issue with the two REP and factually they vie with one another for my all time favorites. As to Henry, just do not care for them, I do not need to justify my preferences, they have their own issues with QC and I prefer what I am most familiar with and know how to tune, maintain and shoot. As with any firearm purchase, look over the individual rifle and educate yourself on what to look for.

Tony Z

I've got Henrys, I've got Marlins, I got Winchesters and I got a Rossi. Side loading gate is nice, but not a show stopper. I have a specific style I'm looking for, and if I find it vintage JM, great. If I have to go new, well, it can be made to work, if there are issues.