Getting Old

txray22

have been thinking about this for some time and decided to ask about "old age guns". I'm 67 and in ok health for now, but I'm not what I once was. I have 9mm Glocks and .38/.357 revolvers. I did downsize to 20ga shotguns back when I was married. Good move. I do have some .22LR revolvers and like the LCR as a range toy. I did some trading and have a NIB Henry .357 with 20" barrel...

txray22

Sorry for not being clear. Has anyone here changed their carry/shooting guns? I sold my 12ga and I'm keeping the 20ga. I'm in good shape for my age and can work the slide on a Glock, but I'm thinking down the road and wonder is anyone has downsized their EDC. I think the SP101 is a great carry gun, but I think I will change the grips.

FoghornLeghorn

Has anyone here changed their carry/shooting guns?

Yeah, I change mine a couple times each week. There's no more room in my gun safe for handguns and I keep (lemme count 'em) six in the bedroom. I'll alternate between a Glock 19 in comptac OWB; SP101 DA only in IWB; Sig 239 DAK SAS in Galco OWB; and Sig 226 comptac OWB.

My dedicated bedside gun is a Sig 220 45 with light. I don't carry it. The other gun is a Beretta 92FS Inox which I also don't carry. It has an external safety. I don't carry a gun with external safety.

BTW, I'm 67. I'm not really clear on your dilemma. If you're concerned with being able to work a slide as you age, you need to buy some grippers and exercise regularly.

claydoctor

Lets, see, I only have four in the bedroom, a Shield .45, a Ruger LCR .38, a Sig 229 in 40 and a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical. I'm 76 and while I can't get everything on my body to work right, I still have no trouble operating my guns. If I am wearing a holster, which is rare, it will be a 9mm Shield. If pocket carry, it's either a KelTec 3AT or a NAA .22 mag Pug. Not cannons but they fulfill the first rule of a gunfight.

Bowdog

At 70 years old I changed from 1911 Kimber in .45 to 9mm Ruger American compact and in winter 9mm full size Ruger American. I still shoot well but the recoil on the .45 got to be a little to much for my old hands. The 9mm is much easier for me. I did build a light weight AR in 5.56 NATO and it stays loaded in my truck in a special safe behind my seat. Legal in TN

txray22 said:
Sorry for not being clear. Has anyone here changed their carry/shooting guns?
At 74 years of age, I've switched my two primary carry gun choices to lightweight (alloy frame) 1911s instead of all-steel 1911s. But I'll still carry a steel Para-Ordnance double stack on occasion. I still shoot the steel 1911s in .45 ACP but I avoid +P ammo.

Jim Watson

73 and shooting 9mm or .45 Minor for IDPA.
G43 in pocket instead of Commander in holster.

.22, .223, and .38-55 rifles.

About out of shotgunning but light 12 gauge in a gas gun is still ok.

Niner4Tango

In my 20s: 1911. Young and sharp, no problem with the thumb safety or light trigger.

In my 40s: Striker fired. Getting older, didn't want a safety to slow me down.

In my 50s: DA/SA. That light striker trigger didn't seem so safe anymore.

In my 60s: 1911. Sure do like that thumb safety and light trigger.

Has anyone here changed their carry/shooting guns?

Yeah, as I turned 70 I sold my .44 Magnum Redhawk -- just too much recoil. I'll use my old S&W Highway Patrolman for woods defense, relying on 180-gr max loads. I "downgraded" from my Springfield XDs .45 to a Sig P365 more because I wanted 11 shots instead of 6 than because I had any difficulty shooting the .45 ACP. The more I shoot the Sig the more I love it, and loaded with 124-gr HSTs I don't feel at all undergunned. :cool:

zeke

Am 61, newly retired and tried to anticipate changes when I age. Like eye sight, hand strength, steadiness and ability to handle recoil. Got pistol caliber semi carbines to augment the levers, including sbr for home. For carry have started using some smaller plastic striker fired for if/when the 1911 gets too burdensome. Also have some smaller handguns that can be pocket carried.

ms6852

In my 60's but I change my carry guns depending on my mood. I have 9mm but never carry one I still carry full size 1911's and now my mood is on my 686 with a 3" barrel.
During the summer if I wear very light clothing or shorts at the beach I carry a Kel-tec pmr 30 since I do not wear a belt if wearing shorts the Kel-tec is light enough to carry iwb without bringing my shorts down to my ankles.

unclejack37

Well, I'm 69 and my EDC in a 9mm Beretta Nano. I also have 7 other hand guns from a Ruger 22/45 to a Ruger Super BH. I just got the BH and I can't wait to get to South Carolina to shoot a couple hogs log distance, as soon as Florence goes away. I play softball 4 nights a week and I ride my HD Ultra as much as I can. When I'm not playing or riding I'm walking 3.5 miles a day. The trick is to stay active physically and mentally. Try weight resistance exercising (weight lifting) to get that strength back to you hands and arms.
You're as young as you think you are.

reteach

txray22 - I get it. I'm about your age, but my situation is a combination of age and arthritis and a broken back and other stuff that finally made me look at lighter recoiling guns. I switched from 12 gauge to 20 a while back, too. I downsized my usual carry guns to a Glock 42 and a Ruger LCRX .327, for the lighter weight of the guns themselves and the lighter recoil. I shoot a lot more .22LR at the range, still getting some practice [and fun] out of my carry guns and my older, bigger stuff.
I've always been active and, while I've gained some weight since retiring, I try to stay in fairly good shape. But some of us do have to make some changes as we get older. The changes I have made work for me.

ms6852

Didn't see the arthritis thing for downsizing but I would feel very comfortable carrying a 22 magnum, I think ruger makes an LCR version but if arthritis is an issue I do not know where a double action only revolver would be much help as I do not know how bad the trigger pull is, but there is always the DA/SA revolver to research.

cw308

I'm 71 carried a S&W 3" HB 357 & snub 38 spl when I worked , now I carry a 3" 1911 45acp . Most of my firearms are locked in the safe . One is in a hide out the 45 is with me or at arm's length 99% of the time . I live in a low crime area now but it's better to be safe then sorry . You never know . Be Safe out there.

Don P

Nope, mostly 9 mm handguns and 9 mm rifles. This is part of my signature,

As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.