Getting my first AR--16 inch or 20 inch?

glockopop

I may someday take this rifle on a prairie dog hunt, so I was thinking I should get a 20 inch for greater velocity, but I bet 99% of the time I'll shoot this thing at paper no more than 200 yards away. Should I just save the money for ammo?

Also, I'm probably going to get a flattop receiver just for versatility's sake, but what about the front sight? Is it worth it to pay up for the gas block rail and detachable sight or will I be able to have a scope and a regular fixed front sight?

Any other general advice is appreciated.

rickdavis81

I prefer my 16" barrel. The flattops are the way to go. I put a carry handle on mine so it looks and functions like an a2 upper but I can add a scope. If you add a sight with a regular front sight I believe you have to have a riser for a spacer or the sight is in your way. I plan on getting a detachable front sight.

FirstFreedom

Should I just save the money for ammo?

Aren't the two usually the same price? I'm not understanding how you save money.

But my vote is definitely definitely get the 20". More vel= better, AND less flash/blast. A little more front heavy, but not enough to make any real difference, IMO.

I think the more important question is what twist rate to get, since that's the one thing I wish I had done differently on my first (and only, to date) AR15. Got a 1 in 9. Definitely wish I had gotten a 1 in 7 or 1 in 7.5". Would recommend you not repeat my mistake. There's essentially NO DOWNSIDE to the faster twist, yet there can be an upside, should you choose to go heavy.

www.whiteoakarmament.com <== Get your complete upper here.

Get complete lower from stag, rock river, or a few other places. Mate them together with minimal effort.

Definitely go with flattop, yes, both rear AND front gas block. And don't buy a detachable carry handle rear sight and detachable front sight, because I will sell you a brand new set (or rear only) for much cheaper than you can buy anywhere else (I have an extra). PM me and check my feedback on TFL if interested. :)

USMCG_HMX1

Get the 20 inch barrel.

Whether you use glass or iron sights, there will be less flash ..... and the only flash I wanna see is from the waitress at Hooters. But I digress .....

You're talking 4 inches of barrel which really isn't anything in weight if you think about it. The longer barrel will help with muzzle velocity, and bullet weight from 55 to 62 gr. is all you'll need for the under 300 yard shots you'll be doing, so the 1 in 9 twist will do fine. The heavier bullets (65 gr and higher) really need the 1 in 7 twist rate, but unless you're hand loading or can find surplus in that weight its really moot.

Go with a flat top and pop up sights with decent glass and you'll find out how quickly you'll love it.

Kris

TK6411

Get the 20". I bought a 20" Bushmaster A2 and could not be happier. I found I had no need for optics and other techno-crap junk stuck on a perfectly good high performance rifle.

I'd say go with a 16" barrel. It's plenty good enough for varmint hunting. I've hunted with my M4gery quite a bit.

FWIW, I have a 14.5" (with perm flash hider), a 16", and a 20" and the M4gery gets the majority of the use, even while hunting.

+1 for FirstFreedom and others on the 20".I recommend the 1-8 twist.I had a shorty10.5-11" with flash hider ,and they are LOUD!(maybe the true 16" is fine)But it did shoot good:)
My 24" 1-8 twist will shoot 35gr vmax good at 100 yards,and when I want, it will shoot everything up to 80's well too.

goodoleboy

Id say get the 20" model you wont be kicking in door with it so need for the shorter barrel..You also gain better accuracy with the 20" as it has alonger sight radius..

It seems the 20" is gaining popularity again over the 16" models..

USMCG_HMX1

Don't get me wrong I like the shorter 16 inch for breaching doors or clearing rooms or CQB work, but we're talking about hitting targets (okay, varmints) roughly the size of a Happy Meal bag at 100 to 200 yards.

That would be considered MOA work for this target size and shooting at that distance.

You could use iron sights all day long for this kind of fun, or if you wanted to drop a couple bucks, a bipod/bipod mount and some glass.

I'd rather spend the money on ammo.

Kris

Crosshair

I vote for the longer barrel. They are much quieter and you get more velocity as well. Where are we hunting where snaging on trees and such is a large problem?

MrGee

why not a 26" barrel from [www.whiteoakarmament.com <== Get your complete upper here.] as FristF as recommended as a placeto get .. i wonder how that would work on a gas operating system 26" :confused:
thinking of replacing mine too:eek: $$$$$$

p99guy

With an AR15 the advantage is that it can be many different guns with just the change of an upper assembly....if you get one with a 20" to 26" free floated heavy barreled target upper, you can later buy a 16" carbine upper.
And swap them out for what ever type of shooting you are going to do that day....you can even go to another caliber with a change of uppers.

john in jax

I've been doing some research and have lots of really good things about the Olympic Arms K16 and K8 uppers - - many owner say they get 1/2MOA right out of the box!

I was hunting one of these really hard - - I had one in my hands, and it felt GREAT, but I'm a haggling hardcase and thought I'd walk away and let the dealer think about my offer - - the guy behind me bought it before I was 20 feet away. You can order the std. chromemoly bbl'd ones from The Armory, on-line, for $629. And if you search around a lot you might find one with the (SS) stainless steel bbl upgrade for a few dollars more.

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=browse&view=dtl&ids=K16

I couldn't find a K16, so I traded for a K8

http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=browse&view=dtl&ids=K8

Unless you are just a fantastic shooter, you should not see any noticeable difference between a 16" and a 20" bbl. I find that the xtra weight of the 20" bbl helps steady my wiggle - helps me hold the gun steadier.

And I'd go with a 1/9 twist, just my oppinion but I think a 1/9 stabilizes the varmit weight bullets (55grn and +/-62grn) the best.