Getting my 1st AR-15 tomorrow

rock_jock

AimDiscount sells them at $169. At this price they are one of the best deals for a high quality optic that can be found, period. The only potential downside is that they are a fixed power scope (5X), although I don't think you really need a variable unless you have a match-grade rifle.

http://www.aimdiscount.com/AMT5X33L.html

jadams951

If you want to get yourself an ar15 then go for it. The rifle is a good shooting rifle, ammo is easy to get along with tons of add on accessories and parts. It is easy to strip down for cleaning and no matter what anyone says it does not take alot of work to clean that rifle and keep it in good operating condition.

Charles Johnson

rock_jock,
Thanks. That looks pretty good. I really like the reticle and the range finding feature. I'm going to the range tomorrow and I'll have my wife see how she likes the 5x magnification on my Leupold. If she likes it, I'll order her one ;):).

El Rojo,
If you're serious about moving to FL, or are thinking about it, let me know and I'll tell you what I know.

For starters:
- Much more conservative politically (Jax, Tampa, panhandle)
- No state income tax
- State sales tax only 6% (I think, in Jax it is 6.5%)
- Can have loaded gun in car, as long as it is in snapped holster, zipped bag, latched box, etc.
- Castle doctrine (can defend oneself in home or place of business without having to attempt retreat)
- Housing is MUCH cheaper (in good side of town, 1800 sf house can be had for as low $110K - rough estimate)

Here is the FL CCW web site: http://licgweb.dos.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

The Rock

Will someone tell that FAL carrying wookie to leave? :D :p

Just because you have bad luck with Bushmasters doesn't mean everybody else does.

Congrats on your AR. I'd test with iron sights first and see how you do. A good mount and a fairly good red dot sight would be good for the less than 200 yard stuff. You can mount a good scope on it, but I think of the AR series as a close rifle.

I have a FAL for further out. ;)

TR

Definitely sight in those iron sights! If your scope fails, you've got something which won't. BTW, consider a red dot for primary and iron for backup. High power scopes offer too narrow a field of view which renders the AR as impractical for street fighting (the Brits found this out in Ireland).

Navy joe

Congrats on the poodle shooter. Here's what you need now, Trijicon ACOG, My pre-ban colt HBAR sports a 2X with red crosshair. Gun itself with my sorry a** on the trigger holds 2 moa w/ Wolf crap ammo. Learn the irons, they're great, usually hold tighter groups with them out to 100yd or so, prob because better cheekweld. ACOG mounts so you can still see irons, actually, the sight hole would prob make a pretty good ghost ring if rear sight became MIA. Big plusses of ACOG are heads up shooting, just crazy fast target aquisition; no batteries, tritium and fiber optic for illum.; I can see red crosshair in all conditions, just need an ambient light enough to see shadowy mass, got out in the country, could easily score hits on dark colored objects by the half moon, black iron front post and std crosshair reticle disappear under such cond. The low magnification make it easy to shoot both eyes open as well. sighted both sights in for same distance, considering an external elev knob for scope. yes it costs a good bit, but then again I bought my Colt in 1994 as the "crime bill" hit the street. Ouch, but you get what you pay for and I've still got it.