Getting my 1st AR-15 tomorrow

Charles Johnson

Since my wife needed a rifle to shoot when I go to the range with my new Steyr Pro-Hunter 30-06 :), we decided to get her ;) a Bushmaster AR-15. After seeing other posts about break-in requirements for the FAL, I was wondering what I need to do to get our new AR-15 started off on the path to a good long life :).

All recommendations are welcome!

dZ

anoitith with CLP
runith the clean patches thru the barrel
folow the TM 9-1005-319-23&P
http://members.xoom.com/FR_Kuiper/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
http://www.ar15.com/books/TM9-1005-319-23.pdf
and the TM9-1005-319-10
http://members.xoom.com/FR_Kuiper/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf

or:
DA PAM 750-30
http://homes.acmecity.com/thematrix/one/40/da1.html

but remember:

State officials maintain they passed the law because no one needs such
weapons. "The only use they have is to kill a large number of people in a
short time," said Nathan Barankin, a top aide to Mr. Lockyer. "No one's
using them to protect themselves or their family or their home. These are
not the weapons of choice for that purpose. We're not trying to disarm the
public; we're just trying to have a safer society."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=54554

dZ

kgs

Well......

If your new Bushy has a chrome lined bore you don't have to do anything for the first 200 rounds or so. They don't recommend touching the bore during this time. What you are doing is letting the bore "polish out" and by cleaning the bore during this time you will be defeating the purpose of "polishing" the bore.

However, if you have an un-lined bore that is a whole other scenario. I'll bet you have a chrome bore so I won't elaborate any further. (it will save me typing time too.):D

Finally, it's a good idea to clean the bolt and its carrier plus the inside of the receiver and such after each shooting session. (regardless of barrel type of course.)
A clean AR is a happy AR.

Have fun,

kgs.

Charles Johnson

Thanks kgs and dz. Y'all have given me plenty of homework!

Now, are there any recommendations for optics? I assume I would want something that wouldn't interfere with the sights? And since it has sights, is it advisable to get maybe a fixed, high power scope?

kgs

Charles:

I have never mounted optics to my Bushmaster so I can't offer any advice to you. Have you ever thought about sticking with the iron sights? By the way, does your AR have the A2 or A3 upper?

kgs.

Noban

Charles - I've had real good luck with my Leapers brand 4x scope. It attaches to the carry handle with its built-in mount and has a built in 500 yard bullet drop compensator. Best of all, it's just around $35 depending on which mail order firm you go with. For 100 yard shooting, it's really hard to beat this deal.

Noban

Charles Johnson

kgs,

I definitely want to keep the iron sights for close range. But since the rationalization for this rifle was so my wife could shoot with me, I would like for her to be able to have a chance at sticking with me at the 100yd and 200yd distances. So my idea was to keep the sights and add a scope for longer ranges.

I'm not sure if it is A2 or A3 (guessing A2). I didn't know to look for this until I downloaded there catalog, and the part number was so long I forgot it. I will check tonight or tomorrow.

Noban,

Thanks. That sounds good. I like the built in mount and the price. Since the total price of my two rifles and Leupold scope are approaching $1.75K, it would be nice to keep the price of the ar15 scope down :). Can you still use the iron sights?

kgs

Noban:

I have a differing opinion on Leapers scopes. I bought one for my SKS for about $45 and that's exactly what it is.....a $45 scope. After about 20 or so rounds I noticed my reticle had shifted. (It wasn't my mount.) Also, the clarity of the sight picture was just terrible - all foggy and blurry. I am not saying yours doesn't work for you, but mine was awful. I now use mine to prop open doors. :D

I learned my lesson by trying to skimp on scopes. It just isn't worth it. You will spend more money replacing cheap scopes than you would if you went out and bought a quality scope in the first place IMHO.

kgs.

dZ

A2's have the fixed carry handle upper
A3's have the flattop rail & can mount a removeable handle.
A1's have the fiddle proof rear sight

IMHO a foreward mounted reddot sight is pretty sweet on an AR

dZ

Charles Johnson

Sorry El Rojo. Even though I don't know how you feel (we don't even have a waiting period in FL for long guns and my CWP negates handgun waiting period), I can sympathize :(.

Jacksonville, FL is way behind in PC :). All recent defensive shootings that I know of have not been prosecuted - even those where the victim chased the bad guy.

FireForged

Anyone that still believes in that barrel break-in stuff needs to read this post by Gale back in 99.

The break in fad was started by a fellow I helped get started in the barrel business . He started putting a set of break in instructions in ever barrel he shipped. One came into the shop to be installed and I read it and the next time I saw him I asked him What was with this break in crap?. His answer was Mac, My share of the market is about 700 barrels a year. I cater to the target crowd and they shoot a barrel about 3000 rounds before they change it. If each one uses up 100 rounds of each barrel breaking it in you can figure out how many more barrels I will get to make each year. If you will stop and think that the barrel doesn't know whether you are cleaning it every shot or every 5 shots and if you are removing all foreign material that has been deposited in it since the last time you cleaned it what more can you do? When I ship a barrel I send a recommendation with it that you clean it ever chance you get with a brass brush pushed through it at least 12 times with a good solvent and followed by two and only 2 soft patches. This means if you are a bench rest shooter you clean ever 7 or 8 rounds . If you are a high power shooter you clean it when you come off the line after 20 rounds. If you follow the fad of cleaning every shot for X amount and every 2 shots for X amount and so on the only thing you are accomplishing is shortening the life of the barrel by the amount of rounds you shot during this process. I always say Monkey see Monkey do, now I will wait on the flames but before you write them, Please include what you think is happening inside your barrel during break in that is worth the expense and time you are spending during break in

posted by Gale McMillan 1999

WalterGAII

Charles: Just be sure that you clean and lube (particularly the bolt and carrier) before your first trip to the range. Don't use the 10-rd. mag that came with the rifle; it's worthless. Get some G.I. and/or Thermold mags.

One caveat about the Shorty AK: If you ever have to do barrel work, such as sight replacement, free-floating, etc., you'll be really sorry that you bought a rifle with a welded-on brake.

I prefer the standard Shorty, to which one can add a removable, post-ban brake. Also, I wouldn't want to give up 1.5" of rifled barrel.

Other than those caveats, you've got a fine rifle.

rock_jock

Charles,

First, congrats on your new "Black Rifle". I bought mine about a year ago and have been very impressed with the accuracy and feel. They are fun weapons.

Second, in terms of optics, I strongly recommend the ATN 5x33 UL (also look under AMT). It is made specifically for the AR-15. It is extremely rugged, has a very clear sight picture, a good reticle, and includes a bullet drop compensator for the 55-gr FMJ bullet. This means you simply dial in your yardage once you have zeroed it at a given distance (say, 100 yds.) I have been very pleased with mine. Go to AR15.com and look at some of the comments. I have found a couple of website that have good prices (as low as $170). I am at work and don't have the websites on this computer, but if you post a reply on this thread, I'll get them at home.

Charles Johnson

rock_jock,
Could you post those web sites please? Thanks.

I picked it up yesterday and couldn't be happier! My wife and I shot a box last night (only a box because my shop's range is supposed to be for pistols only) and we loved it! Shoots VERY sweet :). The guys there said pretty much the same thing about break in. They also told me to toss the mag because it was junk, so I picked up a couple 30 round mags.

BigG

I agree with Fireforged...

and Gale McMillan; that breakin stuff is CRAP! Do you think your rifling will ever be any sharper than when new?

El Rojo

I am moving!

No waiting period on rifles? No waiting period with your CCW? Florida has the same climate, just not any big hills. I think I might just have to make a sacrifice. Sunshine State here I come!

What to buy? How about a bunch of 20 round magazines? Someone was selling them for about $13 at our marketplace here. That's certainly better than the $20 which was asked for by the reasonable sellers at ar15.com last year. You may want to pick up Gene Zediker's book on the Accurate AR. It's a good read for the serious AR buff (and like many other guns, you just can't stop at one).