Gen4 G19 at 1K rounds without cleaning

JCP281

I duplicated limp wristing... but i was only firing my G22 with my thumb on the back of it and pulling the trigger with my normal finger.. other than that I never had a FTF. Hardly a valid test lol.

Silent Bob

I can limp wrist a G17 easily if I try. Not saying its a good gun, I think highly of the Glock design even if I no longer care to carry one. But saying they're not susceptible to limp-wristing is not an accurate statement.

I've made Glocks jam repeatedly by limp-wristing. All you have to do is hold the gun sideways with your index finger almost fully into the trigger guard and just your thumb on the back of the grip, and fire. Instant jam, every time. I've only tried this on .40 Glocks (two different) but I've heard the 9mm is somewhat less susceptible to this particular effect.

This is not to say that Glocks are bad guns. Obviously, this is not the way any pistol is intended to be shot.

Though if I may snidely toot my fanboi horn, you can shoot a CZ like that all day long without it jamming.

sirsloop

IDK why you would purposely run a pistol into the ground without cleaning it. Proving that you can shoot 1000rds of ammo through a gun really means nothing. When will you ever shoot 1000rds of ammo through a gun without the opportunity to clean?

Do you run your car for 50,000 miles in between oil changes just to see if the engine will continue to function?

Last edited:

DannySeesUSMC

It's not going to do any thing bad to the pistol to shoot 1k without cleaning or lubrication.

It's a good thing to know if yours can function even when dry or filthy.

IanS

You will not "ruin" or cause undue wear and tear on a handgun by shooting 1000 or even 2000 rounds or more without cleaning esp. a Glock. They require relatively little lube to run as well.

I often shoot nearly 1000 rounds with my Glock 17 and Les Baer TRS 1911 without cleaning for handgun classes. People who shoot competitively and go to handgun courses do this on a regular basis. And these shooters put tens of thousands of rounds through their handguns. In fact many Les Baer owners do a "break in" period with their Baers by not cleaning/field stripping for the first thousand round or so. Just add a drop of lube in critical areas and keep trucking. In fact that's what I did with my TRS when I first got it.

They clean right up. Just requires a bit more time and effort to clean that's all. That's not to say I dont' clean a handgun I'll use for self protection. They get cleaned and lubed after every range trip.

GoOfY-FoOt

I still don't understand, as posted by several members, how firing a Glock with two fingers, equates to limp wristing, and it's subsequent effects?

Do they also electrocute themselves to test their GFCI's?

IanS

I still don't understand, as posted by several members, how firing a Glock with two fingers, equates to limp wristing, and it's subsequent effects?

IMO it proves that that Glock pistol is more susceptible to jams if shot in that manner. Its a very exagerated approximation of what might happen if someone were to limp wrist a firearm. It not physiologically possible for someone to limp wrist in such a violent manner unless their wrist is literally made of wet noodle or the shooter is Gumby (showing my age). Most people will be holding it in their fists in a somwhat "normal" manner even if their hand is injured. I believe people when they say their Glock jammed because they limp wristed it or because they let some newbie shoot it. I'll take their word for it. But it just seems so rare and something I haven't witnessed myself. (Glocks can jam like other firearms but not necessarily due to limpwristing) After all these years and millions of Glocks and hundreds of millions of rounds expended you'd think this would be a bigger issue. Like the way the kB! thing has spread like wildfire on the internet. Is their any other handgun besides the 1911 that is over-scrutinized, over-analyzed, prodded, kicked, and needled like Glock? (That's what I like about Glocks. People keep underestimating them and they're survivors in more ways than one. Its arguably the most popular handgun in the US, convinced others companies to go polymer, and it still gets treated like an underdog.:p)

Anyways, I think it was an interesting experiment but I take issue with the method. And people who either hate or love Glocks will spin it the way they want. Obviously I'm a fan of Glocks so this is mine. I also did do impromptu limp wrist "tests" on my own (held in a normal manner in the web of my hand with just thumb and trigger finger and a really loose wrist) and haven't been able to make none of my Glocks malfunction. That's good enough for me. (shrug)

Last edited:
I have thousands of rounds through my Glocks in all calibers except the .45gap.
I have yet to experience a malfunction in any of them.

I don't usually try to operate them with two fingers, toes, Popsicle sticks or my tongue so maybe I'm just not trying hard enough to make them jam.

threegun

My Glock 26 limp wrist jammed when My then 8 year old son shot it. So it can and does happen.

Two handed hold. Federal 115 grain fmj. It would malf almost everytime. In fact I have it on video somewhere.

Now before the flames start I am a Glock fan aka a "koolaid drinker". I own 9. They are my fighting guns of choice despite years of trying to replace them with better. I simply cannot find a superior self defense handgun.

Amin Parker

Please lets not this this deteriorate into something unpleasant. What im gonna say is not to get people upset but my 19 does stove pipe when i shoot it from the weapon retention position.

That being said, in a self defence situation, and iv been been in 8 of those, one cannot predict how your weapon will be held during a shooting.

I was once stabbed in the face, right through my lip and into my gum and went straight down, i rolled onto my belly to protect my gun which was still holstered. I drew my pistol and fired one handed while supporting myself with my off hand and on my knees. The attacker, standing next to me and kicking started getting lead into his legs when my trusty Browning started barking.

Remember, my pistol was in my right hand, he was on my left. I fired with my gun under my belly pointed at him. I got onto my knees and could grip and aim properly, by then his friends had joined the party. It was at that point when things turned horribly wrong for them.

That being said, i dont know how it would have turned out had i been armed with anything else, no one will know.

Glocks are good, maybe even very good. All i can say is that it malfunctioned in the weapon retention position when i tried it.

I have tried to replicate how i held my gun that day and it still scares me to be honest. That was the most terrifying situation i have ever been in, if my gun had to malfunction i would have been disarmed and killed with my own gun.

People hear me rant and rant sometimes, maybe this is one of those times but the respect i have my pistol, which was made pre 1968 is tremendous. I bought that gun in terrible shape, fixed her up and called her my carry gun. She saved my life.

Maybe im ranting again.

chewie146

There's a reason the 9mm is more reliable, as another poster suggested. It's a round that's designed to feed, rather than a round that has to have guns designed to feed it. I've had good luck with Glock, though, and have never had one jam when I limp wristed it as much as I dared. That's an awesome gun, and I've had similar experiences with the Glock 26. That thing would do double-duty as an IDPA gun and a plinker all summer without a drop of oil. That was with S&B range safe ammo. That's a brass-plated steel round.

Awesome gun, and let us know how it does!

threegun

Amin, I fire from the retention position all the time without issue with any of my Glocks including one of three gen 3 19's. Try a different more powerful ammo or a stiffer hold.

MythBuster

"IDK why you would purposely run a pistol into the ground without cleaning it. Proving that you can shoot 1000rds of ammo through a gun really means nothing"

What it proves is the fact that the pistol will still be reliable when dry and dirty.

That means a lot to folks that actually carry guns on a daily basis in conditions that are a bit worse than the average indoor range.

It means that we don't have to come in every night after a hard days work IN THE OUTDOORS and clean and lube our carry gun when we have other things we would rather be doing.

Willie Lowman

For future reference, it is very hard to "limp wrist" a Glock.

A friend has a 17L that must be held with an iron grip and a locked wrist or it will jam. I have told him over and over to get a lighter recoil spring but he doesn't want to change it from factory original.

sigxder

I have guns that the only failures have been with bad ammo. In fact most of the modern semi-auto pistols of good quality if kept cleaned, lubed, and fed good ammo will almost always function. If you look at most of the modern designs the bullet will usually be lined up almost straight with the barrel when in the mag. Some older guns this is not true of. And some that were designed for ball originally can sometimes have problems with some JHP's.
Most of the new ones are made form the ground up to fire with virtually any kind of ammo. i'm a bit older and I can remember when auto's weren't as a whols considered reliable. This was when their were a bunch of auto's from W.W. II that flooded the market. Lots of those especially those made at the end of the war were of suspect quality. ANd they were made to shoot ball ammo as I mentioned earlier. The newer auto's often are designed to meet military requirements. They most go many thousands of rounds without problems.
So on a well made. quality, auto of modern manufacture it should be able to go a long time without major maintenance. On the battlefield a gun might have to go through mud, snow, rain, blood, and some time before being cleaned. So the millitary tests the crap out of them amd d more to them most of us will ever do. Had a buddy not clean his HK .45c for 3000 rounds until it finally locked up. Don't see any reason for it. But if it works for you go for it. Actually my experience has been a good auto is as reliable as any revolver.