Gen 4 Glock 21?

Single Six

Chris: VERY disconcerting when you're staking your life on the gun in question...and since it's my duty weapon, that's exactly what I'm doing. :mad:

Smaug

Go and shoot one.

A 1st gen. Glock 21 was the first auto pistol I ever shot. I had to have one ever since that day in 1997.

Finally, in about 2006 or so, I got a Glock 34. On paper, it seemed perfect. Longer barrel/sight radius, racy features, industrial Glock styling, low parts count, easy detail stripping, etc.

But I just didn't bond with it. The trigger was always kind of spongy, and I could never keep it steady enough to really do well with it.

If you have to encourage yourself to like something, it is not a good sign.

Go rent one at the range; every range I've been to that rents guns has Glocks. Try it out and see what you think.

Then, when you're going to buy, get a used one, so that if you don't like it, you won't lose your butt when you resell it.

That sounds pretty conservative, but Glocks are kind of polarizing. Either you like them or you don't.

Personally, I'd pass and get something that is easier to shoot really well. Like a used HK USP 45, CZ97, EAA Witness 45, Beretta PX4; just about any non-striker-fired handgun, in other words.

voyager4520

My LE agency issues the P220ST, the regular P220 before that, and both of them broke their trigger bar springs

It is possible, extremely unlikely but still possible, that a Glock trigger spring will break as well. BUT at least with a Glock the gun will still fire if you hold the trigger to the rear, rack the slide to chamber another round, and continue to hold the trigger back and utilize the trigger reset for each subsequent shot. The only downside to this is that when it's time for a new magazine, you have to chamber the first round, hold the trigger to the rear, and rack the slide to eject that round and chamber another.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/blog.php?b=10

Last edited:

Single Six

Voyager: Good thing to know. At least the Glock would still fire, which is more than Sig and their so-called "to hell and back reliability" P220 can say. Frankly, if I had to choose between the Sig and the Glock for duty carry, the Glock would be my choice.

GeoMonkey

I bought a Gen-4 Glock 19 two weeks ago. We took 5 different boxes of 9mm, JHP, FMJ, standard and +P rounds.

The new G19 was accurate, with NO failures of any kind in 250 rds fired. The new grips felt great, fitting my wife's tiny hands and my 'regular' sized hands and is very accurate. I love the Gen-4 Glocks :cool:

sailskidrive

Former police gun

I never owned a Glock before either and picked a Glock 22 3rd gen for $329, it looked unfired. When I got it home I looked at the box and hand written on the side was "spare". :)

Shooters Discount, in Mount Airy, MD.

Great deal for the price!

billwcc

Love the 21 Gen 4

I just bought a Glock 21 Gen 4. The comments on this forum helped me decide to go with the Gen 4 vice the Gen 3. I got the pistol yesterday, took it to the range today with my sons (aged 19 and 16). The pistol functioned flawlessly thru 3 boxes of Winchester FMJ ammo. I was impressed at the very light felt recoil. My 16 yr old had never fired a pistol before. Before the day was over, he was shooting 3" groups at 15 yards. I could easily fire the pistol one handed, keeping groups inside 3" at 15 yards. Accuracy is amazing. The Glock 21 Gen 4 is the best shooting pistol I have ever fired, period. For comparison, I've fired the Glock 17, Beretta 92, Springfield XDM, Colt 1911, and several .38, .357, and .44 revolvers. I encourage anyone considering a purchase to rent a 21 Gen 4 and check it out.

Mrgunsngear

IMAG0531.jpg

I have the 21SF and love it. I, like you, thought the standard grip was a little big. The SF has the same size grip as the Gen4s. I was at the gun shop today playing with the Gen4 and I love 21 with the new grip texture; I'll probably bring one home soon enough.

To answer your question; the Gen4 problems were almost all with the 17 and 19 but they've got it figured out now. Too bad for Glock those are their most popular models :eek:

My 21SF eats up recoil and I imagine the Gen4 will do equally well. I say GET IT!!!

frigate88

If you don't put any of the backs traps on the grip will be smaller. If you put the medium one on it brings it back to the original gen 3 size. Then of corse the larger back strap will make bigger than the gen 3 grip. So to answer your question about not liking the size of the grip, just don't put any of the back straps on. Hope that helps. Keep on shooting