Gen 4 Glock 21?

Single Six

I've never been a Glock guy, but here lately I've been considering them. Now, since I've never owned a Glock, I've never really read up on them...so please don't accuse me of trying to start any dissension here! I'm really just hoping you Glock fans out there can get me caught up on Gaston's baby. Mainly: I'm thinking about a Gen 4 G21. The interchangeable back strap option really appeals to me, since the older G21s I've handled were just too big for my hands. I seem to recall hearing about mixed reviews on the latest Glock incarnations, so I thought I'd ask you guys the following: Are the Gen 4 models as reliable as their forerunners? Do the magazines drop free when ejected [seems like the older ones I handled didn't]? Thanks, all.

champ198

im not totally positive but i think the problems the Gen 4s are having are mainly the 9mm platforms...but if i remember right there is a fix for it if you contact Glock

voyager4520

The only problems happened with Gen4 9mm models. The .40's work fine.

Originally it was thought that they put too strong of a guide rod spring in the 9mm models. So Glock released a lighter spring for use in the 9mm models. That alleviated most problems, but some people still had failures to eject with the new spring.

In my opinion the spring was never the problem. I think it was a huge run of out-of-spec extractors. Glock started making their extractors by a new method around the time of the Gen4 release, many people think that method is MIM, but a few of the Gen3 9mm models had the same problems. Quite a few people who were having problems replaced their extractors and their guns then functioned flawlessly.

The Gen4 G21 isn't on the market yet. They had one on display at Shot Show, but there's no word as to when they'll be released.

The magazines drop free.

A Gen4 model has a grip that is 2mm shorter from the frontstrap to the backstrap. The add-on backstraps add to that in increments of 2mm. So with the medium backstrap it's the same size as Gen3, with the large backstrap it's 2mm bigger than Gen3.

Last edited:

EEL92fs

"The interchangeable back strap option really appeals to me"

The problem with this is I think they only add on not make anything smaller.

mrgoodwrench76

Ever handled a slim frame G21 or G21SF? Prior generations of course. The full size G21 was a bit too big for my hands but the SF fits nicely. Might be worth checking out.

mrgoodwrench76

Agreed. I like interchangeable backstraps on the XDM and Walthers but their handles seem small anyway. Even the 21SF is still big enough that I wouldn't think you would want a backstrap to add to it. I'm also a bit leary of the Gen4 stuff so far. Just my .02

Single Six

Okay, and here I was thinking the different backstraps would help make the gun's grip frame smaller. Appreciate that info. Sounds like the SF will be my best bet.

ClydeFrog

Glocks, Gen04 RTF-02, .45acp models...

I'm not thrilled with a few of the Glock Gen04 series that I've seen but the Glock 21SF .45acp does have some appeal(Im left handed).
To my understanding, the newer Glock factory magazines are "drop free".
I'd add that if you switch the mag release on a Glock Gen 04 you can only use the new Gen04 type pistol magazines.
For details see: www.Glockstore.com www.Glockbooks.com www.CustomizeyourGlock.com .

ClydeFrog
ps; A forum member posted an item about how the Florida Highway Patrol had to return the new issue Glock .45GAP Gen04 RTF-02 pistols. :(

chris in va

Oh I forgot to mention. Do *not* get the 21SF model with the ambi mag release and Picatinny rail. Don't be tempted to get one, keep looking for the 'normal' model.

Single Six

Chris in Va: Can you tell me what's wrong with that particular model? I've been a serious firearms enthusiast for about 30 years, but you're talking to a total Glock newbie here.

voyager4520

The G21SF with ambidextrous magazine release is not desirable because of the ambidextrous magazine release. That magazine release was a poor design that could lock up and become inoperable or disassemble itself and fall out of the gun. At first when people were having problems with it, Glock tried to reassemble the magazine release or replace it and send the gun back to the customer. Now they don't even bother trying to fix it, they just replace the whole frame with one that uses a standard single-sided magazine release.

The G21SF has been made in three configurations:
1. Ambidextrous magazine release and picatinny rail
2. Standard single-sided magazine release and standard Glock rail
3. RTF2 frame texturing, standard single-sided magazine release, standard Glock rail(this version is pretty rare)

The Gen4 reversible magazine release is a different design and is just as good as the original single-sided magazine release.

Last edited:

glockcompact

You are getting good info on here about the Glocks.
So you are...
Left handed and
The standard size G21 is too big for you..

The standard Gen3 grip was too big for a lot of people (myself included). Thus Glock came out with the G21SF (Short Frame.) This was to shorten the distance from the backstrap to the front strap and trigger. They sold enough of them that (along with other gun manufactures selling multiple backstraps) they decided they needed to have a multibackstrap design. The new Gen4's (like said above...not out yet for the G21) should be the same size as the G21SF. Then if you have larger hands you can add one of two other backstraps to help fill your hands. Rumors say the Gen4 G21 should be out sometime this summer/fall. The new G21 Gen 4's (if they follow suit with the other Gen4's already out) should have an ambidextrous mag release, Multiple back straps, larger mag release button and short reach from backstrap to front strap and trigger, and probably a dual recoil spring design. All Glocks that I'm aware of will use older magazine from previous models unless you convert your new Gen4 to left handed. Then you will only be able to use the latest magazines. I also heard of issues with the Gen3 G21SF with ambidextrious mag release. Most Gen3 G21SF did not have the ambidextrious mag release and they are known to be very dependible.
My suggestion if you want a full size .45 Glock.
Get the Gen3 G21SF without the Ambi Mag Release or wait untill the new Gen4's come out.
I think Glock really messed up with the new Gen4 G19. Having the problems that it did. Glock had an excellent reputation for dependibility and now the general public is questioning it. I would think they have learned their lesson and won't release the Gen4 G21 untill it is proven in there labs.
I was trying to clear up any confusion from previous post but may have made it worse.
Clear as mud now huh?

glockcompact

Thought I would add one more thing. If you get a chance poke around on Hickok45's youtube channel if you haven't already. He's a big fan of Glocks and has some good info on them. He probably has hundreds of videos so you'll need to do a search on his site when you get there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

Single Six

Glockcompact: Maybe Gaston and company will have all the bugs worked out before releasing the Gen 4 model 21. I hope so, anyway. Thanks again for more good info.

ClydeFrog

$$$, sig p220r dak, hk45, mp45...

If you are left handed or want a good ambi style .45acp, you could also avoid the whole mess & get a NIB SIG Sauer DAK P220R, a S&W MP45 or the HK45 pistols.

The FHP problems with the new .45GAPs may have been with the recoil springs but I'd research it.

Single Six

Clydefrog: I really do appreciate the suggestion, but I was seriously soured on Sig a long time ago. My LE agency issues the P220ST, the regular P220 before that, and both of them broke their trigger bar springs [in half] while on the range. This, of course, left me with a non-shooting gun both times and required armorer attention to repair. My thinking is, if they'll break on the range, they'll break on the street, and I now have no trust whatsoever in the brand. :( Thanks just the same, though. Of course, nothing that I know of wrong with the other brands you suggested....bears some thought! :)