Garand vs AK, piston location

Status
Not open for further replies.

amd6547

At the time the decision was made to stick with the 30-06, our army was still training armored divisions with trucks made to look like tanks with plywood...during the depression, there was no money to build tanks...sometimes, troops trained with fake machine guns made of wood. The ammo made in 1918 "might" have needed careful observation to be used, but ammo was made for a long time after 1918.
I am still shooting some '06 made in 1945, BTW.
Switching calibers would have meant rebarreling all those Browning machine guns and BAR's as well...or supplying different ammo for rifles and machine guns...
The British also made the same decision we did, scraping their pipe dream cartridge, and sticking with the 303 when war was inevitable.
MacArthur made many mistakes in his career...and many good ones, like Inchon.
I personally believe he expected the Chinese to come into the Korean conflict, and expected our government to incinerate them with nuclear weapons...

Switching calibers would have meant rebarreling all those Browning machine guns and BAR's as well...or supplying different ammo for rifles and machine guns...

Sooo....what about the .30 carbine?

The ammo made in 1918 "might" have needed careful observation to be used, but ammo was made for a long time after 1918.

In 1926 (I actually think it was before 1926 but I can't find it. Garand had been working on a prototype 30-06 semi that used the primer to work the action and had to scrap it when they swapped ammo) they made a new ammo and ordered it to be used in training. In 1936 they made a new "new" ammo to duplicate the ammo they'd been using before the "new" ammo of 1926. So, before the .276 garand was approved they'd already made a new 30-06 ammo and before the 30-06 garand was in production they'd used the stockpiles from before 1926 and had to make new ammo again.

Status
Not open for further replies.