Gamers - good or bad for gun owners?

Ridge_Runner_5

Counter Strike Source got me into guns, and America's Army into the AR platform specifically. First time out with a rental AR, I had a jam, which I knew precisely how to clear due to the basic training in the latter game :)

LockedBreech

I have been both an avid gamer and an avid shooter my entire life, starting both around age 5. I still love them both. However, they are not really connected at all to me. One is recreational, one may also be so but the recreation is incidental to a deadly-serious mechanical tool. Much like the difference between bumper cars and actual driving.

I think anything that gets more people into shooting and supporting the Second Amendment is a good thing. That said, there are few breeds I detest more than the gamer who thinks he knows guns because he's played with them in a game.

Carry_24/7

I'm 40, and grew up as both a shooter and gamer. For me there is no connection between the two. As a matter of fact, until this thread I never thought about it.

No one else my age had a Nintendo and at least played duck hunt? Come on!:)

ausher

My oldest which is 11 loves the cod series and is addicted to black ops. He can name all the assault militarry style weapons in the gun store, but he really doesn't show much intrest in wanting to go shooting. Mabey when he gets a little older.

Norrick

I was into video games, and I feel I am safe with firearms.

I have a friend who was into video games, and in my opinion he is very reckless with his weapons.

It can go either way. It really depends on the maturity level of the individual.

spclPatrolGroup

There are just as many misconceptions about gamers as there are abount gun owners, if a kid plays grant theft auto then its only a matter of time before he becomes a serial rapist, or if a person owns a gun, then its only a matter of time before he finds a reason to shoot someone... Just like this thread is proving, there is probably a thread on a gamming forum right now about gun owners.

Jericho9mm

I just found this somewhat relevant.

129209085811355782.jpg

In my mind you could eventually combine this thread and the one about marketing tactical gear/supplies to gun owners. I think you will find that they have much more in common that you would think.

If gamers are turning their love of virtual firearms into a real life interest in them then you are going to see them wanting to emulate what they can relate best to. If their experience is with many of the modern weapons games then that is the market that will see the most growth. I grew up playing a WW2 game and I own/seek out guns like those (and I didn't realize that till I read this thread!).

The key to it all is when they transition from games to "real life" who is there to instruct them and show them the serious reality and the serious fun of real firearms.

microman

I think shooting games might be a benefit if it gets
more young people interested shooting sports.

They are a whole lot more advanced now then when
I was a kid playing Duck Hunt on my NES :D

shaunpain

Regardless of your experience with video games, I think it's generally understood that they are not one in the same, although, one can generate interest in the other. I'm sure many competition shooters are gamers, but I don't really believe that the gaming hones hand eye coordination in a way that's relevant to shooting actual firearms. Playing video games can increase your mental capacity and awareness, but learning how to shoot safely and correctly are different skill sets acquired with lots and lots of practice (which I'm not anywhere near!). What would be interesting for this thread is to have actual non-gun owners chime in on how shooting games make them feel about the real thing. I am a gamer myself, but one interest didn't preclude the other. I've "played" with several real firearms in my youth before shooting games existed (in the capacity with which they did when, say, Wolfenstein 3D came out). Now I'm sure there are many out there who don't make the distinction, but shooting games and an iron in my hand always felt like two completely different things. One everyone can do. The other, taboo and much more awesome.

Gaming definitely isn't bad for gun owners, in my opinion anyway. Just in the same way, as many posters have mentioned, that movies and TV isn't bad for gun owners. AD's in the home because your children getting a hold of your unlocked gun, gangbangers and drug lords indiscriminately shooting up other human beings, and tightening of gun control with no basis of statistics is what's bad for gun owners.

Where the industry might greatly improve is making the guns in their games more real, ie; dropping half full mags means losing the rounds on a reload, not insane blood and guts or heads exploding, not every guy on the screen is a baddie and there are huge penalties for shooting civilians. We are getting there, but it's hard for a company to throw in all that realism at the expense of their profit margins. Most people (consider, we are the minority here) have no concept of how firearms work other than the pulling of the trigger, and I would dang near guess that lots of people think they go off by themselves! That's why Michael Bay sells (ugh...). Explosions and blood and guts sell.

I love getting people into guns whether or not they have an interest in their video game counterparts. It's well understood that the games aren't "scary", but holding the real thing in your hand is. I think most people, under the patient tutelage of a gun slinger, would love getting into firearms just because of how exciting they are. Far more exciting than the Call of Duty you speak of, anyhow!

ausher

The biggest difference between real life and gaming that gamers are going to find out real quick is that in real life you don't respawn. :eek:

Newton24b

theres several types of gamers, the most dangerous ones are the call of duty only types. i work with a large portion of them, and well lets just say they are dangerous.
most of them feel that what the guns do in the game, is what they do in the real world. what, you cant slap a semi auto 12 gauge onto my 240? or carry two at a time while running and jumping?

old school boys like me, duke 3d, tomb raider, wolfenstien, and that doom game have a far different take on gaming and on the real world. sure its fun but,

just because 240 pound 14 year old timmy can make a half court shot with his WII or psp, he cant even get up to find a basketball, so stop telling everyone hes a great basket ball player,

lee n. field

I'm starting this thread to get other people's opinions on folks who get into firearms because of video games. I'm not a gamer, and rarely play any video or computer type games.

If it gets them out of their Mom's basement, it's probably a good thing.