G19 or Sig 228 - dilemma

Nifer

I'd choose the P228/229 for one reason... the finger grooves on the 3rd gen G19 annoy the holy hell out of me. I have large hands and fat fingers, and I can NOT get a comfortable grip on the 19/23/32. The 17 fits me ok, but the 19 is just horribly uncomfortable in hand. I know you have the larger sizes of both guns, but i would rent both the 19 and 228 and see how they feel in hand while shooting. You may not be as large as I am and the grips may not affect you like they do me. The grips are a little different then the big brothers, so this may be a deciding factor for you. Just my advice.

JR

IanS

The Sig has more soul? IMHO, I feel most modern Euro-pistols lack "soul" or "personality" compared to more "old school" guns like Colt 1911's, BHP's, and DA revolvers by Colt or S&W. Notable exceptions would be the Sig P210, CZ-75, certain Walthers, or possibly the H&K P7 simply due to its unique personality.

Beretta 92's, Sig Sauers, Glocks, H&K USP's, and Walther P99's all feel like they were designed and put together by computers and robots. Not so with the others.

flinch_of_gt

I ignore my 19. I'll run 200 rounds through it, wipe it down with a silicone cloth, and toss back it in the safe. It's not the most accurate gun in the collection, but I can hit CoM easily and repeatedly. I've run 14,000 rounds through my Glock and the finish is still in excellent shape.

My 228 is the most accurate 9mm in the safe, but I have to remember to keep it lubed or it will toss brass back at my face when it gets too dry. The finish isn't that durable, either.

Either one will do the job. The Glock will cost less than the Sig, unless you find a really great deal on a used one.

cocojo

I say try the Walther P-99 in 9mm and choose your trigger either the DA/SA, the DA only, or the QA. The 228 is heavier than both the Glock and the Walther but a wonderfull gun. The Glock has the light weight and 5 lb trigger but oh that Phase three stoppage problem. I say go with the P-99 and choose your trigger set up, in a lighter weight gun and no phase three problems. I prefer the QA which is about 6 lbs all the time. Oh and I forgot to tell you the P-99 holds more bullets 16 in the Pre-ban mags, not 13 or 15. It just one nice pistol with any grip, sight and trigger configuration which suits your fancy.

daybro

Get The SIG

I know SIGs (have four of 'em), but have only used a Glock on one occasion. I shoot IDPA where a lot of Glocks are used. During my IDPA time (3 years) I seen three or four Glock failures and once actually witnessed a slide on a Glock separate from the frame while shooting!

Today I saw a Glock fire ... immediately as the slide went into battery when chambering the first round. This happened to a very experienced shooter and three of us were standing there and we're certain that his finger was out of the trigger guard. Out of all the rounds I've seen coming out of Glocks, I readily admit that problems are rare, but those I've witnessed concern me.

I've put at least 2000 rounds thru my oldest SIG (P229-.40) and it has never had a single failure of any kind. It has functioned perfectly from day one. The same can be said of all the others, though they have less rounds fired. And though there are a lot fewer SIGs used in IDPA than Glocks, I not seen any other SIG fail during a match.

If reliability is most important to you (and it is for me also) ... get the SIG.

EMS dude

I would go with the Glock. I have a 17 with over 15,000 rnds through it with only a few malfunctions with Corbon 115 grain ammo. I carried a Sig 226 for a duty weapon and experienced bad holster wear, SLIGHT rusting and it was too heavy for extended carry. The Sig is Very reliable, just too heavy. Need we even mention Glocks reliability? Tough choice. good luck.