Funny thing with 303 Brit neck tension

5whiskey

Bullet or neck run out?

Sorry I’m just answering, but it was bullet runout. Quite obviously too. I was quite frustrated at that point and did not investigate the cause of the runout. It was only one round I sized and loaded with the expander ball removed. I did, however, save that round as I was curious. I went out tonight to set my dies up to reload the rest of my .303 brass and I inspected that brass. What I found was a wrinkle at the base of the neck next to the shoulder on one side. This personally tells me that the neck was sized plenty, and then some, and sized too much. The expander stem is definitely needed, as that wrinkle and crooked neck was a telltale sign that that I seated a bullet too large in diameter for that size of neck. Turning the expander to .309 solved my issues entirely and I could not be more pleased with how that rifle and my ammo shoots.

Nathan

Sounds like they were overworking the neck and kinking the case somehow. You fixed it partially. Seems like the neck needs honed out to about 0.004” under tour loaded round neck diameter.