Full size Carry guns

jaytothekizzay

I am wondering how many of you guys carry a full size pistol for every day concealed carry? I recently got a SIG MK25, and I like it so much, I may try to use it as a carry gun as well. I only carry IWB, and currently carry a G23. If so, any good holster reccomendations? Also how about some pics of your full size carry rigs?

Sure shot wv

Full size xd40 in a crossbreed supertuck most of the time. It's big, it's heavy, it's kinda bulky but I feel naked without it.

Uncle Malice

I have a MK25 that I can carry comfortably. I also recently got an HK P30L and I've been carrying it for the last couple of days.

I actually prefer to carry full size guns and being in AZ, there's no issues with printing or being seen.

mete

For a 1911 or M29 I prefer a good shoulder holster For a big guy it's more comfortable .For hunting it keeps the gun out of the way and out of the weather.

jmhyer

If you currently carry a G23 IWB, then you should have no trouble with your Sig. The extra length is no bug deal. The extra weight is what can get you. A good belt is very important...probably more important than the holster in this case.

Personally, I alternate between a G17 and a full size M&P9. Both are carried IWB in a Galco KingTuk.

ClydeFrog

Small, Medium, Large.....

I read a gun press article about 2 years ago, where the intrepid author advised CCW license holders & armed citizens to pack the "largest handgun they could" in the most powerful caliber they could safely handle. :rolleyes:

Now, don't get me wrong. I follow the "use enough gun" plan but the fact that you have a 6" barrel N frame .44magnum or a long-slide 1911a1 type .45acp is not going to scare off or even impress every violent thug.
My advice to license holders is to tote the largest caliber in the most practical size for your use(s). Most(not all) US gunners can pack a mid-size or large frame pistol. The weight, frame & shape are not that hard to deal with if you use proper gear/holsters.
I packed a 4" barrel Ruger GP revolver & a Smith and Wesson MP45 Compact concealed in strong side polymer belt holsters with no effort. I had to look at the .45acp pistol on my belt to know it was there. :D
As for a SIG pistol, Id look at these top brands; Wright Leather Works, Galco, Milt Sparks, Ted Blocker, Alessi, Greg Kramer, High Noon Holsters, Mitch Rosen, El Paso Saddlery, Blade-tech, Blackhawk(SERPA), Safariland(the new AT7 line).
I like the Wright Leather Predator or the new lined Masters holsters. They can be re-holstered one handed & they have a body shield.
Kramer in horsehide is very popular with armed professionals(federal agents, military spec ops, etc). Galco offers a lot of choices.
I'm impressed with Safariland's new AT7 holsters. They should be available in SIG Sauer holsters soon. Glocks, M9s, M&Ps are available now.
Blackhawk & Blade-tech polymer rigs can be converted quickly for cant/draw. That's a practical feature if you want to change how you conceal or carry the weapon. I switched my M&P .45acp from cross-draw to a strong hip carry often while on a trip thru PA last year.

I'm not a big fan of IWB holsters but many like them. I'd add that you should always carry at least one spare pistol magazine. It might help.

KyJim

Depends on what you mean by a full size gun. I often carry a CCO sized 1911 - 4.25 inch barrel and the grip frame shortened by one round from the regular Govt. size.

std7mag

I don't have a concealed holster yet. I'll get one when I get my 1911.

For now I open carry my Hi Point 40 S&W.

MoGas1341

I'm using a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, at the 5 o'clock position (right handed) and it doesn't intrude on my driving comfort or sitting in a chair etc... I carry a Springfield 1911 TRP and it doesn't bother me at bit. For inside the belt carry, a quality made 1911 is good in my opinion, but the full size could be a pain for someone that is of shorter frame. (I'm 6 feet tall, so its OK for me)

USMC 77-81

I rarely use a holster anymore, I carry a 1911 commander or S&W model 66 4'' barrel daily, Mexican carry. This time of year is very easy to conceal. In the summer wear I a t shirt or tank top and if I want deeper conceal I put a button type shirt over that. I ask my wife and friends if they can see my carry on a regular basis, all reply 'no'.

Fugit1ve Wizard

In my community it's acceptable to carry your full size pistol on your hip in plain view, not a lot of people bother to conceal because of this.

crashxl

Carried this for about a year.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389796174.809506.jpg

Now I carry a Taurus pt809c in a remora holster. Hope to be carrying a h&k by the end of the year. Haven't decided what model yet.

ClydeFrog

Axel F; Lethal Weapon; holsters.....

Many gun owners or license holders see Hollywood movies like Lethal Weapon or Beverly Hills Cop & think carrying guns w/o holsters is cool or smart.
I'd use a holster to protect the gun & prevent any NDs/gun grabs.

That was my CCW for 3 years. The SIG 226.

I've also carried a P220, 1911's, Glock 17, 22, 21, M&P-9..That's what I can remember. Right now my CCW is a Glock 19 and has been for a little over a year.

With that said I have a surprise for the forum. I'll post the story a little later on this week.

Uncle Malice

With that said I have a surprise for the forum.

Ohhh, I can't wait... Hopefully, it's not that you recently moved to Philadelphia and have an affinity for Swiss Cheese... although that wouldn't surprise me much. ;)

imp

If your near Philly and do have an affinity for swiss cheese, just know that my wife has her CC permit. And to make this thread relavant, her gigantic purse routinely has a full size pistol in it. I, on the other hand, made the switch to compact pistols years ago, and my hips and back continue to thank me.