Frustrating differences in 7RemMag data...

TimSr

I've just started working on some 150gr loads with Reloader 17, and its looking very promising. I've always used H870 for 175gr loads, but RL17 is looking better for 150s. Its premature for me to say anything conclusve at this point.

FiveInADime

I've just started working on some 150gr loads with Reloader 17, and its looking very promising. I've always used H870 for 175gr loads, but RL17 is looking better for 150s. Its premature for me to say anything conclusve at this point.
I actually have a bunch of RL17 but I'm saving it to try in my .260 Rem

Woolecox

A FIVE-GRAIN discrepancy!!! 63.4 seems like a lot

I totally agree with you. That is a lot even if the bullet is of different manufacturer, assuming you are talking about your typical Boat Tail SP VLD types used by most these days.

I love the 7 RM by the way. I have had mine for 8 years now. It started life as an “out of the box” Remington 700 BDL Stainless. With the help of people like Shilen, McMillan, Badger Ordnance, Jewell, and a very good gun smith who trued the action and bolt when the chamber was cut, it has turned into quite a good shooter.

I never could get mine to shoot light bullets fast and maintain the best accuracy. Mine shoots the best groups with Berger 168 VLDH bullets over near max load RL-25. Federal Premium Cases and GM215M primers. I get 2900 fps. I have no doubt you will find your pet load.

Barnes LRX bullets are a close second but nothing beats the Berger’s. I have taken at least one white tail every year and a whole pile of hogs since building this rifle mostly with the Berger’s. Good speed, high BC, and excellent terminal performance make it perfect for the kind of ranges required where I hunt. Anyone who says Berger dose not make for a good hunting bullet has never hunted with Berger’s.

Here are two groups of 5 fired consecutively at 100 yards. The tenth shot was thrown out of the group. Guess the barrel was getting hot.

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

Here are some of the results. I have ultimate confidence in this rifle and this cartridge.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

My hunting buddies buck taken with an A-Bolt in 7MM Rem Mag.

IMG_0661.jpg

Woolecox

Woolecox, is there a lot of meat damage when that Berger hits em in the ribs?

No, especially not when shooting at average distances of 300+ yards. Not that much meat on the ribs anyway on a white tail. I double lunged a big sow at 25 yards a few years back in Texas and the exit hole was the size of a coffee cup. Bang, tumble. Of course all the quarters and neck were perfectly in tact. The far side rib cage was pretty messed up.

You just have to be careful with shot placement. True with any bullet I suppose. I have seen a lot of meat messed up with Cor-Loked, Game Kings, Accubond’s, etc.

Last edited:

hooligan1

If Im taking a shot less than 75yds, I like to aim for neck shots, anything past that, I wait for broadside rib shot, I've heard Berger VLD hunting bullets have wicked internal damage, and can waste meat.
I use those 168's in my 7mm rem mag, so far paper only, but these dudes are super consistant and my load is fairly a mild load at 60 grains IMR 7828, and developement was interupted by deer season only, as I seek to get the most velocity without spreading my groups out....have not tried RL25.

Woolecox

If Im taking a shot less than 75yds, I like to aim for neck shots, anything past that, I wait for broadside rib shot, I've heard Berger VLD hunting bullets have wicked internal damage, and can waste meat.
I use those 168's in my 7mm rem mag, so far paper only, but these dudes are super consistant and my load is fairly a mild load at 60 grains IMR 7828, and developement was interupted by deer season only, as I seek to get the most velocity without spreading my groups out....have not tried RL25.

I don’t think they cause significantly more damage than any other bullet. Put them through the lungs and you will have zero damage. I don’t take neck shots because I like the neck roast for sausage and ground meats. We used to take shots at the base of the skull to cull does with 22-250’s and 223’s.

Any damage is too much for me so I just stick with quartering or broad side lung/heart shots when possible. I had a big monster buck slipped in behind me this year that saw/winded me before I saw him. About 200 yards. It was barley legal shooting light and he was facing me dead on. Would I have taken that shot? You bet! But he bolted before I could settle the cross hairs.

I have also had just as good a result with Berger’s in my 7 mag using H1000. I have 7828 and H4350 but have not used them yet. I think with a good chamber, barrel, and components, anyone can get good results with the 7mm Rem Mag.

I have a couple of hunting buddies that shoot 300 Win Mags. They shoot very well and offer more power. I have thought about re-barreling in 300 when (if ever) this barrel wears out. But I don’t know. I am getting it done with the 7mm.

Last edited: