From the Bloomberg op-ed mouthpiece: here's the next front

Armed_Chicagoan

jimbob86 said:
Lifetime + 10 years? So you can't buy a gun from your casket?

....and if you do posses a gun in the 10 years after your death, then it is still a felony, and you should be charged, and if convicted, and put on the Infinity year ban list ......... and if that does not work, we'll pass another law, to make gun possession even moar ......... illegallllllllllllllll............ er? Then, of course on to moar illegallest! Then, We'll just add meaningless suffixes! ....... Moar Illegallestishmentness!
jimbob86, can you imagine the difficulty of fighting the zombie apocalypse if the zombies have guns too? :eek:

I fully support any law preventing the dead from possessing firearms. :p

Glenn E. Meyer

Gun related scholarship is driven for the most part by an antipathy towards firearms. There are a few neutral scholars or some who are or not gun friendly but will honestly analyzed the data.

The biases in science are now well documented across many fields. The pre-existing biases direct what is studied and what gets published.

Eventually, the truth will come out but it is a hard process.

I shudder to think what would have happened if Lott's work didn't come out as positive for gun usage but his methodology was the same. He would be damned by all the gun folk in the harshest language.

I've seen a touch of that with my AR-15 study. Folks of lesser analytic minds have called me names - imagine that.

csmsss

One other thing to consider/keep in mind. We all know that the interlacing practices of psychology/psychiatry have been quite busy rewriting their Bible (the DSM, now on -V) over the last few decades. Much of the rewriting is done to satisfy political constituencies and advocacy groups more than to clarify the diagnosis of mental illness and psychological disorders.

It is not a vast leap to conjure a scenario where this trend is extended to pathologize certain political beliefs and behaviors that those who write/edit the DSM disagree with. This isn't entirely conjectural, btw. I've read and heard more than one mental health "professional" who has discussed doing just this - always, mind you, rationalized as being in the interest of public safety. It is a disturbing conflation, to say the least, to thrash the legitimate diagnostic practices of what is a most individual medical practice with an entirely unrelated "benefit" to the general public - a benefit which can never be proven.

Strafer Gott

As someone with exposure to "Big Science", I must warn to watch science like a hawk, because like politics or justice, it frequently turns into the best "science" money can buy. That's what got the NSF barred the first time.

Glenn E. Meyer

If gun lovers wrote the DSM, then hoplophobia would be a disorder.

If gun haters wrote the DSM, then hoplophilia would be a disorder.

All behavioral disorders fit into the social context.

Blacks who opposed slavery or segregation were claimed by some to be mentally ill.

Women who wanted a freer life from the kitchen, kids and religion were seen as mentally ill.

There is a piece by a psychiatrist doing a Freudian rant on antigunners being mentally ill. It has as much validity as an antigunner saying a progunner is mentally ill.

44 AMP

Staff
Don't overlook the lesson of our "friends" in the Soviet Union. Political dissidents were often classified as "mentally ill". They weren't sent to prison, they were sent to re-education centers....